T2 - Finally bought one!
Aug 28, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #121 of 145
Stop the hearsay you two. I prefer different flavors from time to time, but I admit that I need to listen to my T2 system more. @Whitigir, don't sell it! Sell your left kidney and half of your eyebrow instead.

Aug 28, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #122 of 145
@Whitigir
What the heck man!! You were the chosen one to lead the Stax 009/T2 holy crusaders. I am loud, repetitive, and annoying enough but have no knowledge or skill to building these amps. Purk is not good enough because he listens too much to dynamic headphone gear (I think he is afraid to turn his T2 on every night) :frowning2:

Purk also has the he-90 so even if he did turn on the T2 more often I think the 009 would only get 50% play time. Have you thought about acquiring an he-90?

Aug 28, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #123 of 145
Purk also has the he-90 so even if he did turn on the T2 more often I think the 009 would only get 50% play time. Have you thought about acquiring an he-90?
I think the he90 sounds amazing out of the T2, but I’ve never considered getting one, and probably never will. I still prefer the 009 and 009S; both rock out so much better. My first “oh my GOD” experience with electrostats was the 009 on Purk’s T2, and that still holds today.

I think the he90’s strengths play a little better to Purk’s preferences, and the 009 to mine. Add in the huge cost and constant terrifying (and very real) risk of unrepairable driver failure - no way Jose. Not for me. Very happy with the current headphone stable; all that could tempt me now would be a new Sennheiser Baby Orpheus, if it were basically an HE1 that was stripped down to work with Stax amps.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #124 of 145
I think the he90 sounds amazing out of the T2, but I’ve never considered getting one, and probably never will. I still prefer the 009 and 009S; both rock out so much better. My first “oh my GOD” experience with electrostats was the 009 on Purk’s T2, and that still holds today.

I think the he90’s strengths play a little better to Purk’s preferences, and the 009 to mine. Add in the huge cost and constant terrifying (and very real) risk of unrepairable driver failure - no way Jose. Not for me. Very happy with the current headphone stable; all that could tempt me now would be a new Sennheiser Baby Orpheus, if it were basically an HE1 that was stripped down to work with Stax amps.

I'm pretty sure there are end arounds with the he-90 when it comes to repairs. I have seen spritzer stuff lambda driver's in them as a last resort. The R10 is where I think you can end up schiit creek.

I need to listen to a R10 but I can see why Purk is drawn to them. My Sony pieces include APM-4's, TA-N7B, cdp-xa7es, ps-6750, tts-3000, se-p900 and das-r1. I have had most of those pieces for over 2 years now. Everyday they amaze me.

Aug 30, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #125 of 145

As far as I can tell, Sennheiser still service the HE90 & HEV90. So they will still stand behind their product after this many years. Yes, preference is the key here and I have never compared the HE90 vs. the SR009s side by side. The thing about the HE90 that really get me is the height of the soundstage. It also sounds a little sweeter than the original 009 as well as this sense of warmth and excellent dynamic with the T2. Out of other amps, the HE90 is just a little too soft sounding. For sure, our preference are not 100% the same here.

I'm pretty sure there are end arounds with the he-90 when it comes to repairs. I have seen spritzer stuff lambda driver's in them as a last resort. The R10 is where I think you can end up schiit creek.

I need to listen to a R10 but I can see why Purk is drawn to them. My Sony pieces include APM-4's, TA-N7B, cdp-xa7es, ps-6750, tts-3000, se-p900 and das-r1. I have had most of those pieces for over 2 years now. Everyday they amaze me.

I actually prefer listening to the R10 the most even though it always left me wanting a little more in the bass department. With my ECP-L3 and DSD playback from my DAC, the bass issues are still there but is more manageable. With the R10, I am being spoiled by its wonderful midrange, warmth, sense of air and space that my HE90 can't seem to match. I know it is just preference, but these qualities get me every time. I don't listen to a lot of Metals like @mulveling so the R10 works for me.

Nov 15, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #126 of 145
Joined the club, thanks to the redoubtable @georgep ! Added Stillpoints as footers, who knows if they make a difference but looks pretty =P

20191114_105816_HDR(1).jpg
20191114_105835_HDR(1).jpg
20191114_103213_HDR.jpg

Nov 15, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #129 of 145
That look so awesome! How do you like it
Like an idiot, I forgot it's an all-balanced design. Ordered Black Cat Cable's Stargate balanced interconnects which get here tomorrow. Salivating for now

Nov 16, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #130 of 145
Nov 18, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #131 of 145
That look so awesome! How do you like it
There's NOTHING like this headphone experience, holy cow. I'm not even using NOS tubes yet. Running balanced Black Cat Cable Stargate interconnects into Yggy, CPCC Top Gun power cord. I haven't heard this kind of filigree, resolution and bass tautness from any headphone system. At least not the ones I have (tried my Empyreans and Z1R into Leben CS600 and Ayre Codex - not even close). Jimmy Giuffre's clarinet is the silkiest and sweetest I'd heard through the T2/007 mkI combo, as is Valery Gergiev's Stravinsky is its most barbaric and thunderous version through the system. Flaws? I can now hear all the limiting shortcomings of the Yggy that I couldn't hear before. Dammit.

Nov 26, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #132 of 145
Joined the club, thanks to the redoubtable @georgep ! Added Stillpoints as footers, who knows if they make a difference but looks pretty =P

Hey, me too! Just a few days ago.Stayed up way past my bedtime last night. I simply could not pull myself away from the incredible sound.

Damn you all! Now I’m feeling tempted.....:confounded::rolling_eyes::santa:

Thanks @georgep you’re amazing

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #133 of 145
Damn you all! Now I’m feeling tempted.....:confounded::rolling_eyes::santa:

Thanks @georgep you’re amazing
I agreed, from my own experiences, and not only myself but other people too. Building the T2 is playing with Deaths and Fire.....not to mention about the success/failures attempts

yes, @georgep is Amazing!

@kevin gilmore is Legendary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back