Sound Science Corner Pub
May 16, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #692 of 705
Seconds with Rock Hudson… a devastating film, beautifully made. Sci Fi without space and rockets.

Have never heard of it, taken a chance and bought it.

2 sci-fi movies from the seventies that pop up in my mind now:
Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970)
The Omega Man (1971)

Haven't heard of The Forbin Project either. Have the Omega Man, great movie especially the news reader guy (Anthony Zerbe). There are so many from around that era - Forbidden Planet, Them and one I often used to watch as a kid - The Andromeda Strain.

May 17, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #693 of 705
Mario Bava's Planet of the Vampires
Wm Cameron Menzies' Invaders From Mars
The original 50s Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Planet of the Apes
George Pal's The Time Machine and War of the Worlds
Time After Time
The Hidden
and the infamous Robot Monster

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #695 of 705
Silent Running is an other good sci-fi film imo, especially as it seems all too plausible, though really sad as only one robot is left alone at the end to tend the garden, a real tear jerker just to warn peeps who haven't seen it. Anyone else got any sci-fi recs?

cards.gif
The Moon (the recent one). Brilliant.

May 18, 2024 at 1:52 AM Post #696 of 705
Silent Running is an other good sci-fi film imo, especially as it seems all too plausible, though really sad as only one robot is left alone at the end to tend the garden, a real tear jerker just to warn peeps who haven't seen it. Anyone else got any sci-fi recs?

I think what's neat about that movie is that the robots were all leg amputees: while it's hard for people with such disabilities to find acting roles...it's probably worst so that these effects would be CG. Bruce Dern is such a timeless actor: he also is a pivotal actor in Palm Royale (but the best person in it is the great Carol Burnett). Of sci-fi movies in the 70s, I think the Soviet Solaris is really interesting. While 2001 is always a classic for sci-fi, I think there's some really great futurism. You can clearly see some tablet devices: they were IBM pads, but pretty much the same as the first iPads.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 5:19 AM Post #697 of 705
I think what's neat about that movie is that the robots were all leg amputees: while it's hard for people with such disabilities to find acting roles...it's probably worst so that these effects would be CG. Bruce Dern is such a timeless actor: he also is a pivotal actor in Palm Royale (but the best person in it is the great Carol Burnett). Of sci-fi movies in the 70s, I think the Soviet Solaris is really interesting. While 2001 is always a classic for sci-fi, I think there's some really great futurism. You can clearly see some tablet devices: they were IBM pads, but pretty much the same as the first iPads.

Didn't know they were amputees, film producers should consider casting people with dwarfism over CGI as it's a great mental boost for them.
I have Solaris and Stalker, both really original stories, especially Stalker, not sure if it's a film more about alien artifacts or a novel way of highlighting mans shortcomings, probably why the aliens didn't hang about as they viewed us as an anomaly and not even worth studying (Roadside Picnic), which is what I like most about it: the cosmic focus isn't on us.
Bruce Dern can certainly act but I grew up only knowing him from this film and The Cowboys where his persona is warped so it skewed my feelings toward him as a person for a long while. Thinking about it in Silent Running he too goes like Hal9000 when what he was tasked to protect was ordered to be destroyed.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 7:08 AM Post #698 of 705
I spent two weeks with little people on a shoot. They sure didn’t need a boost. Most of them were obnoxious. One guy was a circus clown and was very nice. Another was a quiet family man. The rest were swaggering monsters with foul mouths. The stories you hear are true. Maybe amputees are better.

May 18, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #700 of 705
It was the little man syndrome squared. They argued, kept trying to one up each other, bragged about the sex they got, and made every girl around them uncomfortable. They weren’t gentlemen. I could repeat the stories they told, but I’d immediately get banned.

May 18, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #701 of 705
Black Hole: can understand why Ryokan references it as the gif is Maximilian robot in it, and his avatar is VINCent from the same movie.
Oh of course! Silly me! I don't think I have ever seen this movie (movies like this are IGNORED AND IGNORED AND SUPER-IGNORED AND HYPER-HATED by the members of society who have say about what movies are pushed to people). I have been Youtube videos talking about this movie and how ignored and hated it is...

May 18, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #702 of 705
I saw it when it came out… I still want my $4 back.

May 19, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #704 of 705
I saw it when it came out… I still want my $4 back.
What's most telling: the cost of a daily manatee premiere screen is over $20 per person. Apparently all that goes to the studio/distributor and the theater gets its money for costly concessions. I decided I should try out a Dolby Cinema theater near me, and have pre-ordered a ticket for the new Mad Max movie. Not expecting the movie itself to be a height in artistry of cinema, but should be good entertainment with 3D audio and Dolby Vision color grading. Just got the 4K disc of Dune 2: saw one reviewer going on about how many times he saw it in the theater (and if IMAX aspect ratio is warranted: seeing the cinematography with the movie, I think there's clear framing for 2.35:1 ratio). What I found most interesting was he claimed a Dolby Cinema screen is too low in volume, while he preferred IMAX. The last blockbuster movie I saw in the cinema was Avatar 2 on an IMAX screen: my chief complaint was that the audio was way too loud (especially for me having to be exposed to 4 hours of deafening levels. Maybe that means I'll enjoy Dolby if it's "too quiet". I've been a home theater enthusiast since I have a calibrated display that has better quality than typical screens, I can set my own audio preferences, and we're getting a wealth of film restorations in 4K.

May 20, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #705 of 705
For those with multichannel systems, I highly recommend Rhino's new "quadio" box of Joni Mitchell on Asylum. Court and Spark has always sounded fantastic, and in multichannel, it sounds even better. Unlike other quadio releases, this incudes both a quad and an atmos mix. The atmos hews close to the original stereo just opened up and enveloping, while the quad is very different... quite eccentric actually. The only place I've seen it for sale is the Rhino online store. Definitely demonstration worthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back