SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 28, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #15,751 of 15,758
Added the WM1ZM2 to the family… beautiful DAP.

Is it a significant step up from WM1A concerning sound quality ? ... I hesitate to jump to this, as I am afraid not to be able to catch any real sound improvement from the WM1A..

As there is not 4G anyway in the WM1ZM2, I think, I will still need to use my smartphone to access on the way to my favourite music servers like Qobuz and my home personal Synology Music Server... so the WM1A connected to my smartphone does the job for this.

May 28, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #15,752 of 15,758
Is it a significant step up from WM1A concerning sound quality ? ... I hesitate to jump to this, as I am afraid not to be able to catch any real sound improvement from the WM1A..

As there is not 4G anyway in the WM1ZM2, I think, I will still need to use my smartphone to access on the way to my favourite music servers like Qobuz and my home personal Synology Music Server... so the WM1A connected to my smartphone does the job for this.

Too early to say, I haven’t had much time to listen yet but will report back.

May 28, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #15,753 of 15,758
40 hours of battery life on WM1AM2 is a very deceptive advertisement. If you have an Android operating system, you can turn on the screen and interact with it. I wrote that when I download and listen to music via Wi-Fi with 50% screen brightness and use the screen on from time to time, the battery runs out after a few hours of use. For this reason, I was worried that my player was broken. If this is the case for everyone else (the battery runs out in 3-4 hours when Wi-Fi, EQ and the screen are on), I don't mind this, but I don't find it acceptable. The battery of my Samsung S21 phone lasts even if I use it all day. The battery should have been more durable in WM1AM2. This is Android after all. Taking turns listening to music while the screen is off creates pressure.

Despite everything, I love my wm1am2 player very much, despite its bad battery performance. Its analog keys are indispensable for me. I will write in capital letters. WITH THIS DESIGN, SONY MAINTAINS MY CONNECTION WITH THE WALKMAN ERA OF THE 90'S, WHICH I FALLED IN LOVE WITH. IT RELEASES ME TO THOSE DAYS.

I am 45 years old and I lived those golden years. Sony is the most unforgettable symbol of my best years. And as long as I live, I will always have a Sony player in my home.

May 28, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #15,754 of 15,758
40 hours of battery life on WM1AM2 is a very deceptive advertisement. If you have an Android operating system, you can turn on the screen and interact with it. I wrote that when I download and listen to music via Wi-Fi with 50% screen brightness and use the screen on from time to time, the battery runs out after a few hours of use. For this reason, I was worried that my player was broken. If this is the case for everyone else (the battery runs out in 3-4 hours when Wi-Fi, EQ and the screen are on), I don't mind this, but I don't find it acceptable. The battery of my Samsung S21 phone lasts even if I use it all day. The battery should have been more durable in WM1AM2. This is Android after all. Taking turns listening to music while the screen is off creates pressure.

Despite everything, I love my wm1am2 player very much, despite its bad battery performance. Its analog keys are indispensable for me. I will write in capital letters. WITH THIS DESIGN, SONY MAINTAINS MY CONNECTION WITH THE WALKMAN ERA OF THE 90'S, WHICH I FALLED IN LOVE WITH. IT RELEASES ME TO THOSE DAYS.

I am 45 years old and I lived those golden years. Sony is the most unforgettable symbol of my best years. And as long as I live, I will always have a Sony player in my home.
3-4 hours is not normal. Other users have reported 8 - 15 hours (depending on settings/usage. Do some testing to find out what is responsible for the battery usage.
To establish a baseline, with battery saver off, a fully charged battery, turn direct on, high-res streaming off, and let the player play from SD card. Just leave it playing normal music (not all DSD), and see how long it plays. If it gets close to the hours in the spec., then the battery is normal.
- Then try your streaming, still with Direct On, etc. See what the play time is.
- Then try your streaming, with all your normal settings, and usage
- When streaming, you are using WiFi, or Hotspot from a phone? For either, check the signal strength. Weak signal strength will cause greater battery usage.
- Edit: screen not permanently on. Set to timeout within a few seconds, as people normally use it. Screen on all the time is a big hit on battery life. It is your choice whether you want longer battery life, or screen on permanently, because it looks nice.

From the above, you should be able to answer whether the battery is defective, or it is certain settings/usage.
Then it is your choice on which you want.

Last edited:
May 28, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #15,755 of 15,758
3-4 hours is not normal.
I guess he has screen ON all the time at 50% brightness with streaming and DSP enabled as well.

@DefinitioN. why do you want to keep screen On all the time? You can buy that Fiio Bluetooth remote to switch on and switch off the screen as needed.

May 28, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #15,756 of 15,758
What's everybody seeing for performance when running the Roon app (not Arc)?

May 28, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #15,757 of 15,758
The WM1ZM2 has such a beautiful tonality. With the Empire Ears Raven, the DAP really showcases its organic richness. Listening to the Snarky Puppy(Remixed & Remastered) Metropole Orkest as I type this and it is beyond decadent.

May 29, 2024 at 2:45 AM Post #15,758 of 15,758
The WM1ZM2 has such a beautiful tonality. With the Empire Ears Raven, the DAP really showcases its organic richness. Listening to the Snarky Puppy(Remixed & Remastered) Metropole Orkest as I type this and it is beyond decadent.
It did so well for Audio Technica ATH-IEX1 too, simply beautiful sounding especially for female vocals!
IMG_20240510_122215.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back