Smyth Research Realiser A16
May 7, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #16,008 of 16,019
I’m curious, who paid the shipping?
You pay shipping to them, they pay shipping to you. And depending on your country you may have to do some extra paperwork to make sure you don't have to pay import fees/taxes again.

Yes, exactly. In general, it seems fair. It would feel more fair, though, if the repair had been a success.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #16,009 of 16,019
Yes, exactly. In general, it seems fair. It would feel more more, though, if the repair had been a success.
I fully understand that that’s the way it works but the bad soldering on the board and the unit failing 4 days after receiving it is really the Smyths fault. Of course, we all know about their reputation re: customer service.

May 7, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #16,010 of 16,019
I fully understand that that’s the way it works but the bad soldering on the board and the unit failing 4 days after receiving it is really the Smyths fault. Of course, we all know about their reputation re: customer service.
It all worked out (and yes, customer pays to ship the unit back on warranty repairs, even in the first week).

It took about 6 or 7 weeks to get my A16 back, and since it has new hardware (APM and ARM boards) it had to run the 2.15 firmware and so was not fully functional (with respect to PRIR and HPEQ measurements).

Knowing the history I would still go through all of this, as the pleasure I’ve gotten out of the A16 has exceeded the pain. As Mark Knopfler wrote on the Shangri-La album,
“Everybody pays to play”.

May 7, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #16,011 of 16,019
It all worked out (and yes, customer pays to ship the unit back on warranty repairs, even in the first week).

It took about 6 or 7 weeks to get my A16 back, and since it has new hardware (APM and ARM boards) it had to run the 2.15 firmware and so was not fully functional (with respect to PRIR and HPEQ measurements).

Knowing the history I would still go through all of this, as the pleasure I’ve gotten out of the A16 has exceeded the pain. As Mark Knopfler wrote on the Shangri-La album,
“Everybody pays to play”.

Yep! My experience has not been flawless but in net, I am extremely happy. There's nothing else quite like the a16!

May 16, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #16,012 of 16,019
So, I am selling a big ticket item and can potentially turn my preorder into a realiser that I’ll actually get. I wanted to run a few legit concerns I have by y’all because I’m really wondering if I’m just victim to the sunken cost fallacy.

1. Warranty and customer service. The warranty link on their website is down, and I honestly don’t really trust them to honor things. Is this off base? I’ve seen some stories of failed units, but am I just seeing a vocal minority?

2. Ease of use and extended effort. I recognize that there is a steep learning curve. At 52 with a kid, is this going to be too daunting? I’m not going to be flying out to a studio for measurements. So is it still worth it without that? Once things are set up, so you have to constantly adjust?

3. Resale. If I just can’t hack it, how much will I be out with resale?

Appreciate anyone’s thoughts as I navigate this item or just getting a high ticket amp.

May 16, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #16,013 of 16,019
So, I am selling a big ticket item and can potentially turn my preorder into a realiser that I’ll actually get. I wanted to run a few legit concerns I have by y’all because I’m really wondering if I’m just victim to the sunken cost fallacy.

1. Warranty and customer service. The warranty link on their website is down, and I honestly don’t really trust them to honor things. Is this off base? I’ve seen some stories of failed units, but am I just seeing a vocal minority?

2. Ease of use and extended effort. I recognize that there is a steep learning curve. At 52 with a kid, is this going to be too daunting? I’m not going to be flying out to a studio for measurements. So is it still worth it without that? Once things are set up, so you have to constantly adjust?

Appreciate anyone’s thoughts as I navigate this item or just getting a high ticket amp.
Here's my 2 cents. While there is definitely a learning curve, it's certainly doable for a mild to moderately tech savvy 52 year old. Making your own HPEQ file is quite easy and there are lots of options regarding obtaining "off the shelf" PRIRs. We can direct you to a free database of user PRIRs and there are also PRIRs available at Club Realiser for a more than reasonable fee(they also have their own A16 manual that you download once you join the club). Having said that, I would say that your best bet would be to spend the money on purchasing one or both of the Omega PRIRs from 3D Soundshop. I am a customer who, in the process of meeting up with John(the proprietor) in his studio for a personalized measurement, became a lifelong friend. You won't find another person outside of the Smyth brothers who is more knowledgeable about the A16. I don't have any affiliation with his business, in case you're wondering. Do a search on the forum of 3D Soundshop and you will hear nothing but positive comments.

Regarding warranties, the answer is that, while the Smyths will fix any manufacturing defects, you will also have to pay the cost of shipping. Beyond that, they are not known for their customer service (to say the least!). At the same time, they are reasonably good (or better) at providing firmware updates to address identified issues.

I can't comment on resale value for an A16 purchased at full price since I have no knowledge to share in that particular area. Only you can decide if an A16 is a worthwhile investment for you. I will, however, say, AFAIK, there is no other virtual audio device on the planet that provides anything close to an experience equivalent to what the A16 has to offer. I say this as someone who has owned and enjoyed my A16 for a little more than 3 years.

Best of luck with your decision.

May 16, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #16,014 of 16,019
I recognize that there is a steep learning curve.
I'd like to second the recommendation for the 3DSoundShop Omega (Omega 96 in my case) PRIR.

I've been down the path of trying to make my own multichannel PRIR and failed miserably. The Omega PRIR comes with full instructions for how to set it up in the A16.

I'd recommend ordering the A16 with the dts-X and Auro licenses installed (make sure you get them in email too). Then all you have to master are the HPEQ (two microphones in your ears with the headphones on) and MANLOUD procedures. There are Youtube videos demonstrating how to do both.

HPEQ:
MANLOUD:

I can also recommend using Sennheiser HD800s headphones. Others I've tried haven't worked as well.

May 16, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #16,015 of 16,019
I'd like to second the recommendation for the 3DSoundShop Omega (Omega 96 in my case) PRIR.

I've been down the path of trying to make my own multichannel PRIR and failed miserably. The Omega PRIR comes with full instructions for how to set it up in the A16.

I'd recommend ordering the A16 with the dts-X and Auro licenses installed (make sure you get them in email too). Then all you have to master are the HPEQ (two microphones in your ears with the headphones on) and MANLOUD procedures. There are Youtube videos demonstrating how to do both.

HPEQ:
MANLOUD:

I can also recommend using Sennheiser HD800s headphones. Others I've tried haven't worked as well.

I fully agree. BTW, I have the HD800 version which is what the Smyths themselves have used in their demos going back several years. I just mention it because you might find one on the used market cheaper than the HD800s.

May 16, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #16,016 of 16,019
I’ve reached out to James for a quote, with the topic ‘realiser purchase’ to hopefully snap his attention and have him reply. I’ll let fate decide which direction I go :).

May 16, 2024 at 7:20 PM Post #16,017 of 16,019

Life's too short to be without a Realiser. John's Omega 96 will make you happy. And if you were smart enough to get an Realiser and John's preset, you'll be plenty smart enough to figure out how to operate an A16 which is no more complicated than operating a Window's PC IMHO. Enjoy.

May 16, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #16,018 of 16,019
Appreciate the replies. I would definitely reach out to John if I got one, especially since I believe this is his preorder that I purchased from him if I remember correctly :). Discount? Lol!

May 16, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #16,019 of 16,019
I’ve reached out to James for a quote, with the topic ‘realiser purchase’ to hopefully snap his attention and have him reply. I’ll let fate decide which direction I go :).
Once he sees dollar signs, I expect that it won’t take him long to reply unless he’s on holiday, as they say. Don’t forget to order Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and Auro 3D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back