Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Sep 1, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #31 of 4,593
Woah.. that was harsh for the igrados..
It has one of the best sound according to that list but it got ranked 8 lol..

Sep 1, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #32 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by Junliang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't take the ranking seriously at all. Notice Isolation is one of the factor, more isolation does not mean better headphone. Sometimes I do not want isolation for awareness purposes. Compare hybrid cars to sport cars is not the way to go.

Sep 1, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #33 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by CENTRAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! Professional job!

Great review with lots of details on SQ, comfort and isolation.

One remark (if I may): Based on the variety of the music that you listened, it would be great to know how each portable responds to different music genres.

Thank you so much!

PS: Please keep any updates coming!

Thanks. I did consider adding music genre comments and even started doing it a bit on the first two headphones i reviewed (the KSC75s and PX100s). However, I gave up because that would make this even more wordy and because I really don't listen to all genres equally.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Epic. Is it okay for you to do new ones? I would love to have comparisons this time on the Senn HD 2*8 series, the new Shure headphones and other products not on your review.

I was trying to keep this low-priced (both for the sake of my wallet and because a lot of people look for low-cost portables to supplement main phones) but I am very curious about the HD228 myself, so who knows...

Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iGrado's ranked 8th out of 11... that's all i need to know!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junliang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The iGrados lost points on everything except sound. I have said this before and will say it again: read through the review, but take the numbers with a grain of salt - I only included isolation because that is what is often asked of portables and I wanted to emphasize that most of these have none. I really do have issues with the grado comfort and build, though, but if you are willing to ignore that for sound more power to you.

Edit: thanks to everyone for the feedback. Feedback is what makes the updates happen
wink.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #35 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was trying to keep this low-priced (both for the sake of my wallet and because a lot of people look for low-cost portables to supplement main phones) but I am very curious about the HD228 myself, so who knows...

Sweet.

Sep 1, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #36 of 4,593
Quote:

Five new headphones posted. Bump for anyone subscribed to the thread. Cheers.

More good work! I had ordered a pair of the S150 to try them out and try the pads on the Slimz to possibly fill the bottom end out some. Might be worth a try. Not 100% sure the pads were going to fit on the Slimz but maybe it is worth a try. They seem to have potential.

I have the M750 ordered($49 shipped) already. We'll see how they turn out.

Maybe we can do a loaner thing later on. I still want to hear the G2A's and you can write up the M750 without shelling out the $50 bucks.

Sep 2, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #37 of 4,593
Thanks for the work you've put into this nice comparison.

Sep 2, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #40 of 4,593
Went to Mingo's shop this afternoon and gave a few cans a trial including the JVC flats and the ATH-FC700A. Will prepare a playlist of test tracks and go back within the week - I am still looking for a pair of easy to drive closed portable cans at a decent price - currently am leaning towards the JVC Flats.

Sep 2, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #41 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More good work! I had ordered a pair of the S150 to try them out and try the pads on the Slimz to possibly fill the bottom end out some. Might be worth a try. Not 100% sure the pads were going to fit on the Slimz but maybe it is worth a try. They seem to have potential.

I have the M750 ordered($49 shipped) already. We'll see how they turn out.

Maybe we can do a loaner thing later on. I still want to hear the G2A's and you can write up the M750 without shelling out the $50 bucks.

Let me know if the HX70 pads fit on the Flats. And where do I sign up for this loaner program?
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jung /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a lot.

So what's next?

The $60 JVC S900 is close to the current $50 range.

Maybe it can extend to Audio-Technica ES7?

S700/S900 has been on my list for a while. There doesn't seem to be any used ones floating around and no good deals have popped up ><. ES7 in currently in review but I don't know if I should extend this review out of the $50 range. Value ratings would turn negative...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Went to Mingo's shop this afternoon and gave a few cans a trial including the JVC flats and the ATH-FC700A. Will prepare a playlist of test tracks and go back within the week - I am still looking for a pair of easy to drive closed portable cans at a decent price - currently am leaning towards the JVC Flats.

That would be high praise indeed for the flats. I think they are astonishing value for the $5 I paid, but for the $20 MSRP there is some competition...

Sep 2, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #42 of 4,593
Not quite as cheap as US$5 over here, but then neither are the PX100 at US$35. At Mingo's, JVC Flats were US$24, PX100 were US$52 and PortaPros were US$62.

The ATH-FC700A weren't bad, but cost double and am looking for a cheap pair of cans to through around in the backpack. Haven't said that, read the other thread about the new PX100-II and might just wait a little while now ... if I can resist buying
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #43 of 4,593
One non-musical use for the iGrados is as ear mufflers. Seriously, they are pretty warm, necessary for our Wisconsin winters (and maybe not a plus in Florida).

Sep 3, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #44 of 4,593
Quote:

ES7 in currently in review but I don't know if I should extend this review out of the $50 range. Value ratings would turn negative...

There are not many good closed portables under $50. So it is interesting to see how $100 closed compare to the best $50 open phones.

If Yuin makes a headband version of G2A, with more isolation, maybe it can be an ES7 killer.

Sep 3, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #45 of 4,593
Maybe I should rethink using over the head cans instead of IEM.

A few days ago, a sore spot developed on the outer part of my right ear causing minor irritation when using my IEMs, so I decided to look into acquiring a pair of cheap closed cans for tossing around. Today, I took my PX100 out for use in the streets, and I was reminded of why I migrated to using IEMs - at a reasonable listening volume (indoors) I could NOT hear a damn thing outside. And I wasn't playing delicate classical piano tracks but classic rock!

Now I realize the PX100 are open cans and closed portables may fare slightly better - but I doubt they will make as significant a difference as IEMs. I did a quick search and discovered at many places the decibel level is over 100 decibels - this includes normal streets I frequent as well food costs and malls. Quite shocking. Today, at the newsstand I could not hear my Santana tracks, then when I went to an indoor food court thinking it might be better, well, I was disappointed there as well.

Here is an article I found online : How Noisy is Hong Kong? | HK-magazine.com. Turns out in Hong Kong the streets are as noisy as karaoke rooms!

So I guess my question is in these types of high level noise, will the JVC Flats or something more pricey like either the ATH-FC700A of ES7 make any worthwhile difference? Or should I just stick to IEMs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back