Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
May 18, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #8,806 of 8,824
i have been given the cross feed a go and really its just preferences, but gravitated from liking max cross to min. then decided naw, i want to get my freak on. no feed

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #8,807 of 8,824
I find myself only needing crossfeed with very specific recordings, such as early Van Halen, where the guitar is panned hard left and nearly nothing but reverb hard right. I find it not so great on headphones, but fine with speakers in the room.

May 18, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #8,808 of 8,824
i have been given the crossed a go and really its just preferences, but gravitated from liking max cross to min. then decided naw, i want to get my freak on. no feed
A lot depends on how well it is implemented.
I use the Goodherz plugin with Audirvana.
I previously was unimpressed by the Roon crossfeed settings.

May 19, 2024 at 12:27 AM Post #8,809 of 8,824
In my point of view, Sennheiser HD 800 S is the best buy in all of hi-fi and head-fi. An amazing product with outstanding value for money.
Agree, it comes really close to Susvara for a tiny fraction of the price and minimal amp requirements. It is quite amazing what Sennheiser has achieved.

May 19, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #8,810 of 8,824
Agree, it comes really close to Susvara for a tiny fraction of the price and minimal amp requirements. It is quite amazing what Sennheiser has achieved.
For another perspective, I'd be inclined to say the Susvara is competitive in some respects only for a huge price and debilitating amp requirements ...

May 19, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #8,811 of 8,824
For me I love Wells Audio V8 and HD800s.
I’m a bass head but this combo works great for me. The Dragon no as low end fades and it’s to neutral. No sibilant sounds but could use a bit of bass boost with my Dragon lvl3. Next to the V8 on the right is Wells Audio current entry level dac Gruve lvl 2(turned sideways). I’m curious the JAR v3 would be on this gear if it already is awesome in stock form?

Tubes
Power 6as7 rca with red or orange lettering, hard to tell.
Drivers 12au7 RAY from Apos.
IMG_1218.jpeg

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 4:23 AM Post #8,812 of 8,824
For me I love Wells Audio V8 and HD800s.
I’m a bass head but this combo works great for me. The Dragon no as low end fades and it’s to neutral. No sibilant sounds but could use a bit of bass boost with my Dragon lvl3. Next to the V8 on the right is Wells Audio current entry level dac Gruve lvl 2(turned sideways). I’m curious the JAR v3 would be on this gear if it already is awesome in stock form?

Tubes
Power 6as7 rca with red or orange lettering, hard to tell.
Drivers 12au7 RAY from Apos.
IMG_1218.jpeg
Nice !

May 25, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #8,814 of 8,824
After a wrong turn via "Austrian Audio Composer", "Hifiman HEKSE" and "Heddphone Two", I bought another HD800s. The very first tones have confirmed my decision, I listen to music again in a relaxed way and don't want to stop, what a pleasure. To me, the HD800s seems like a timeless stroke of genius. Anyone who has doubts about buying should feel encouraged.

May 25, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #8,815 of 8,824
Yep the hd800s is still an excellent headphone. It is up there with the susvara imo regarding sounding real and organic.

Instruments and timbre sound correct, even though it has its hd800s flavor and not quite perfect frequency although it’s close

I’ve always held hifiman in the best all rounder tuning, but they all sound a little digital and synthetic if that makes sense.

Technicalities, speed, air, and transparency, and frequency response are advantages of the hifiman he1k headphones, but they never sound quite as organic and real in terms of timbre

I think it’s partly due to the hifiman brightness and soo much air, there’s not quite enough density and heft, and they just have a bit of a digital aspect to their sound

Audeze lcd 2/3 and Senn hd800 don’t have the advantages in technicalities, resolution and speed compared to the hifiman he1k, but have a more papery organic tone that I really appreciate

May 25, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #8,816 of 8,824
Yep the hd800s is still an excellent headphone. It is up there with the susvara imo regarding sounding real and organic.

Instruments and timbre sound correct, even though it has its hd800s flavor and not quite perfect frequency although it’s close

I’ve always held hifiman in the best all rounder tuning, but they all sound a little digital and synthetic if that makes sense.

Technicalities, speed, air, and transparency, and frequency response are advantages of the hifiman he1k headphones, but they never sound quite as organic and real in terms of timbre

I think it’s partly due to the hifiman brightness and soo much air, there’s not quite enough density and heft, and they just have a bit of a digital aspect to their sound

Audeze lcd 2/3 and Senn hd800 don’t have the advantages in technicalities, resolution and speed compared to the hifiman he1k, but have a more papery organic tone that I really appreciate
Exactly. All planars and estat have some timbre issues in the mid/upper mid that can’t be EQed away. I suppose if you are willing to spend $30k+ you can get Aperio which sounds correct based on my limited experience. Even HE1 is not quite right with the sound weight and density. After going around and around, dynamics is still the best tech for natural reproduction of almost all instruments and human voice. Planar is good for EDM, ribbon and estat (other than Aperio) are situational and music dependent.

I for one have 0 interest in the next Suavara. I will listen to it for novelty factor however.

May 25, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #8,817 of 8,824

I've read Composer review from Headfonia and they compared Composer with HD800S and HEK SE. They said HD800S is faster sounding than Composer and HEK SE.

The Sennheiser HD 800 S, is selling for $1,699 USD (now discounted to $1,355 USD) which is excellent with the SAEQ amplifier btw, is a faster and lighter sounding headphone than The Composer. It also has a higher energy level with more explicit upper mids and livelier top end. The Composer in returns sounds a tad slower, but fuller, with bigger body and bass impact (sub bass).

The Hifiman HE1000SE (selling for $2K), like the Meze is a slower tuned headphone and in this case it is also lighter in presence and body. The Hifiman is the more typical reference, neutral tuned headphone where The Composer is the slightly fuller and more engaging one. The layering and depth of The Composer are easier to pick-up on, but it also is a more energetic headphone compared to the HE1000SE. The extension, spaciousness, timbre and tonal decay of The Composer easily trump that of the HE1000SE.

https://www.headfonia.com/austrian-audio-the-composer-review/2/

May 25, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #8,818 of 8,824
In my experience the hekse is slightly faster, thinner notes and overall brighter

The hd800 was in between lcd-2 and hek for me in terms of all of those aspects

Last edited:
May 31, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #8,820 of 8,824
Curious why a new thread? hd800S unveiled is like a great name for it. Canada for example has not received the S yet. Course i will hang anywhere and when I receive my S I will leave impressions and th900 comparisons here or under unveiled? I guess impressions is it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back