Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jun 4, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #9,646 of 9,653
I think Sennheiser made a mistake with the numbering system with the S1 and S2, and that they should also have kept the S1 in production.
I know they gave the 660 the letter S because it came with a balanced or, in Sennheiser speak, symmetrical cable, but I wish that hadn’t. HD660 and HD670 would have done just fine!
Maybe they did it in order to have an excuse to take 660s out of production or they did not want to raise expectations this time too much in order not to have a kind of tyll lukewarm reception again...:)

Jun 4, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #9,647 of 9,653
Maybe they did it in order to have an excuse to take 660s out of production or they did not want to raise expectations this time too much in order not to have a kind of tyll lukewarm reception again...:)
Yeah they also had a silent revision of the HD 660S as well which someone with Sennheiser recently mentioned, newer pairs have some tweaks done to their drivers. Tyll heard an early one, which also explains his reaction as well. Early HD 660S's had some nasties in the upper mids/lower treble. The HD 660S definitely seems to have a storied history, lol. I'm going to give the new HD 620S a try and see if that falls more along my preferences than the HD 660S2.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #9,648 of 9,653
Yeah they also had a silent revision of the HD 660S as well which someone with Sennheiser recently mentioned, newer pairs have some tweaks done to their drivers. Tyll heard an early one, which also explains his reaction as well. Early HD 660S's had some nasties in the upper mids/lower treble. The HD 660S definitely seems to have a storied history, lol. I'm going to give the new HD 620S a try and see if that falls more along my preferences than the HD 660S2.
Yeah, this! Tyll's reaction and the review and FR graph provided by Sonarworks are clearly of a different headphone than the two 660Ss which I own! (And I heard four!) I wish that Sonarworks had revisited the 660S and got themselves a later model, but it's too late now......

Jun 4, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #9,649 of 9,653
Yeah, this! Tyll's reaction and the review and FR graph provided by Sonarworks are clearly of a different headphone than the two 660Ss which I own! (And I heard four!) I wish that Sonarworks had revisited the 660S and got themselves a later model, but it's too late now......
I've heard four HD 660S's myself. Two early models which were hyper sounding in the upper mids (more present than the HD 600 even) and fatiguing like none other and also quite intimate sounding. Then two recent models which sounded much more flat and spacious with gentler upper mids than both the HD 600/650, though maybe a tad on the boring side. The early and later HD 660S's sound nothing alike, though I would say both are still a tad dry sounding with the early ones notably drier sounding. The S2 doesn't have this dryness to their sound.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #9,650 of 9,653
I also believe that they do silent reviews in general throughout the years. Obviously, will not admit it but this comes naturally with the knowledge they acquire through years and improvement in materials.

The reason i bought my 58x at first place was not zeos that I never believed him but a guy here in headfi that sent the first 660s to tyll. He said that he liked the 58x better especially for the price.

And i have also a feeling that the new 600 sound at least a bit better especially also with the new version pads.

My 660s is from the latest versions made in ireland before discontinued.

Jun 4, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #9,651 of 9,653
I also believe that they do silent reviews in general throughout the years. Obviously, will not admit it but this comes naturally with the knowledge they acquire through years and improvement in materials.

The reason i bought my 58x at first place was not zeos that I never believed him but a guy here in headfi that sent the first 660s to tyll. He said that he liked the 58x better especially for the price.

And i have also a feeling that the new 600 sound at least a bit better especially also with the new version pads.

My 660s is from the latest versions made in ireland before discontinued.
That is pretty common especially with long running headphones. Yeah information about the HD 660S is coming out more now too since it's discontinued. I haven't heard the HD 58X personally. I am trying out a couple headphones to see if I can find an open-back that will fit my neutrally tuned niche, trying out the Focal Hadenys next, maybe they will be what I hoped the S2 was. Technically the S2 was there for me, it was just my ears didn't agree with their tuning. The HD 6xx line just aren't quite as resolving enough for my tastes as a main headphone except the S2. The S2 actually ruined the rest of the HD 6xx line for me.

The newer HD 600 and HD 650 sound better to my ears than the older pairs. I found them tamer in the upper mids and actually more fluid sounding than the old pairs. That's what my current S1 is as well, one of the late pairs right before they discontinued them.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #9,652 of 9,653
I think Sennheiser made a mistake with the numbering system with the S1 and S2, and that they should also have kept the S1 in production.
I know they gave the 660 the letter S because it came with a balanced or, in Sennheiser speak, symmetrical cable, but I wish that hadn’t. HD660 and HD670 would have done just fine!
I think that in marketing terms the new product (S2) was also targeting to all HD-660S users: "New, better version of your beloved headphone (which will be discontinued). Upgrade without fear." Who will resist?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back