Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
May 1, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #12,256 of 12,398
Substantially better. If you can afford it you will never regret that decision. Even if you gotta eat dollar menu for a few weeks its worth it.

The issue with "upgrading" is trying to sell the item being replaced. In today's economy with many people on a tight budget that can be very difficult.

I came from DS when I got my Yggy and I didn't know what I was missing. I will never go back to DS. The OG A2 is so good to my ears that when I've thought about getting a Chord TT2, May KTE, Rockna Wavedream, or MSB Discrete DAC, I cannot justify moving on and paying 3-4 times more for the Rockna or MSB. I don't think it can get that much better than Yggy so I've stuck with it and resisted the urge to get something different.

What is DS?

May 1, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #12,257 of 12,398
What is DS?
Probably Delta Sigma vs R2R ladder DAC (which is what yggy is)?
A little light reading for you if you are interested:

Discrete R2R dac versus a sigma delta dac?​

Discrete R2R (Resistor-to-Resistor) DACs and Sigma-Delta DACs are two different technologies used in digital-to-analog converters, each with its own set of advantages and disadvantages. Here are the advantages of a discrete R2R DAC compared to a Sigma-Delta DAC:

Simplicity and Linearity​

• R2R DACs: Discrete R2R DACs have a simple architecture consisting of resistors arranged in a ladder network. This simplicity often results in excellent linearity, meaning they can accurately reproduce the input signal without introducing significant distortion.
  • Sigma-Delta DACs: Sigma-Delta DACs use complex algorithms and feedback loops to achieve high resolution, but they are inherently non-linear. The conversion process involves oversampling and noise shaping, which can introduce nonlinearities, especially at lower bit depths.

Transparency and Sound Quality​

• R2R DACs: Due to their linearity, R2R DACs are prized in high-end audio applications for their transparency and ability to preserve the original signal’s integrity. Audiophiles often prefer R2R DACs for their natural and musical sound reproduction.
  • Sigma-Delta DACs: Sigma-Delta DACs are commonly used in consumer electronics due to their cost-effectiveness and ability to achieve high resolution. While they provide good performance for most applications, some audiophiles find their sound to be less natural or warm compared to R2R DACs.

Speed and Oversampling​

• R2R DACs: R2R DACs are inherently fast and do not require extensive oversampling. They can directly convert the input signal into an analog output without the need for complex algorithms, making them suitable for applications where real-time processing is crucial.
  • Sigma-Delta DACs: Sigma-Delta DACs often employ oversampling techniques to achieve high resolution. While oversampling improves resolution, it can introduce latency, making them less suitable for applications requiring real-time processing.

Durability and Stability​

• R2R DACs: Discrete R2R DACs are constructed using individual resistors, which can provide stability and durability over time. They are less susceptible to temperature variations and external factors that might affect their performance.
  • Sigma-Delta DACs: Sigma-Delta DACs, especially those integrated into microchips, can be sensitive to environmental conditions. They might require additional measures to maintain stability, especially in critical applications where consistent performance is essential.
It’s important to note that the choice between R2R and Sigma-Delta DACs depends on the specific application requirements, cost considerations, and the listener’s preferences regarding sound quality. Both technologies have their places in various industries, catering to different needs and preferences.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #12,258 of 12,398
The issue with "upgrading" is trying to sell the item being replaced. In today's economy with many people on a tight budget that can be very difficult.

What is DS?
Schiit gear does tend to resell but i hear you. i always have a bit of anxiety about that but it's also not usually justified anxiety. For instance i almost didnt buy Yggy A2 bc that'd mean id have to sell Yggy A1 and she's heavy and all that. Sold it that same day lol; didnt last the day!

Last I checked Bifrost 2 was going for over $400 on Ebay but I admittedly don't know every detail about Bifrost.

May 1, 2024 at 10:31 PM Post #12,259 of 12,398
May 1, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #12,260 of 12,398
I recently bought a Bifrost 2 OG locally for $450, and that seems to be about the going rate these days, 2/64 version around $600-650.

Shouldn't be that hard to sell. Yggy is worth it for sound improvements over the Bifrost 2. I have both right now and have had 2 other Bifrost 2/64 units in the past.

I'm so darn curious about how A2 sounds compared to my A1 though...

May 1, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #12,262 of 12,398
I recently bought a Bifrost 2 OG locally for $450, and that seems to be about the going rate these days, 2/64 version around $600-650.

Shouldn't be that hard to sell. Yggy is worth it for sound improvements over the Bifrost 2. I have both right now and have had 2 other Bifrost 2/64 units in the past.

I'm so darn curious about how A2 sounds compared to my A1 though...
maddening isnt it lol?
They're are VERY similar. There's just a bit more plankton, a bit more richness an a bit more low end emphasis, just a bit. But also a bit less clarity and layering. So if you use speaker a lot and if you listen to a lot of orchestra type music A1 is preffered even. But I listen to rock and rap and EDM and only really use Yggy for headphones and in that case the A2 is a bit better. Not to an earth shattering degree or anything. Not as big of a jump as coming from Bifrost to GS2 was. It's a baby step from Gumby MB to A1 to A2.
This is Marv's chart from SBAF which is pretty accurate to my ear.

YggyTones.png

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #12,264 of 12,398
I just purchased the OG from canuckaudiomart. Hard to find one in Canada. :)
Thanks for buying before I gave in :sweat_smile:

Is this your second Yggy OG then?

May 1, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #12,266 of 12,398
May 1, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #12,270 of 12,398
Yeah there's no way that thing even lasts the evening lol. I know y'all. Somebody gonna buy it.

Hurry up @Macman it was your find lol. There are sharks in these waters.

If I had seen it last week i'd have belly flopped on it like i did mine for $300 more than that.

i knew it :joy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back