Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Aug 31, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #16 of 2,038
Sub-dizzle
I'm very interested in how this amp sounds with low impedance headphones like the TH900.

Sep 17, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #17 of 2,038
Subscribed, but still few reviews? 
triportsad.gif

Sep 18, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #20 of 2,038
+1, this is a nice review. Informative and useful. The background was useful too - every review should include it.

Could the hum be GD humming the tune he was just listening to, without realising it? :p

Oct 16, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #23 of 2,038
Awesome, can't wait to hear any impressions.

Oct 16, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #24 of 2,038
  have you tried the cavalli liquid glass or DNA strat? Those are the best amps I ever heard.

Unfortunately no, the best I had tried prior to the Rag was the Burson Conductor. Would like to eventually try the Cavalli, but I see no need to now as the Ragnarok is so wonderful I don't see much need to keep looking anymore, but who knows maybe that will change eventually

Oct 19, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #25 of 2,038
A bunch of random observations after a few days with Ragnarok.

Sound quality is near par with my GSX MKII & audio-gd, may be better, may be worse, still working on that determination with various cans and DACs and etc.  Plenty of moar powr for 800s, LCD-X & other cans so far.

Very much like the multiple input options (2 x balanced & 3 x RCA), would have loved memorized volume levels for each input but it’s not part of the design.

I would have liked to see the power switch on the front with this size of box.  I am aware of engineering & cost saving reasons & why it may be on the back, I am talking about usability here.   You can’t put this into a rack or shelf without figuring out how to turn it on & off.  Speaker amps often have a remote or low-voltage trigger for this purpose but here you would need to figure out another power solution (controlled power strip, for instance).   So that leaves it in the desk-top arena and at this size it begins to take up a lot of real estate.   The rocker-style power switch located on the top-back of the box (new for Schiit I think) is more useful for the reach-around than the low-placed switches on their other units.

As expected the box does indeed get hot.  After being on for a few hours it was uncomfortably hot grasping it from the sides in order to move it.  The top and bottom were too hot to handle.  I don’t consider the heat to be an issue but don’t expect to stack anything on top of the amp.  If this will be placed in a closed rack you will need an active cooling solution.

The SE headphone output appears to be piece of threaded rod with a nut on it.  Hrmm.  Seems out of place on Schiit’s “ultimate” amplifier which otherwise looks rather polished.   It kind of screams “value amp” at me when placed next to my GS-X.  Just a little sad.
frown.gif

The gain button is hair-trigger, I was almost convinced it was a capacitive surface with how little pressure you need to put on it.

There is no indicator as to which output method is selected (speakers only \ Speakers + headphones \ headphones only). This makes it a little hard initially to choose the correct setting & to troubleshoot issues

Channel tracking on the volume is excellent, as expected.

Noise floor is excellent, as expected.  I am running cans in low gain and speakers at medium gain for testing.

The clicking of the relays is concerning for a few minutes until you get used to it.  The clicking over the headphones when near the top of the volume range is more concerning.   Initially with my 800s plugged in balanced I got distinct static pops over the cans when changing volume near the top end of the range. This seems to not be happening now.  Random speculation: amp was not warmed up? 

Yes, I have read the manual and am aware of the “muting” volume relay and that clicks are expected.  Clicks yes, staticy pops on my expensive cans, no.

Oct 19, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #26 of 2,038
Solution to the power switch problem is to just leave it on all the time. Someone did a calculation that showed a Ragnarok costs ~$20-25 a year if left on constantly.

My Rag has been on almost constantly since I got it and it is barely warm. I have it on a shelf next to my chair out in the middle of the room though.

Oct 19, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #27 of 2,038
A very nice review sir, the Ragnarok sounds like a powerful, hot beast. I shall definitely place my Ragnarok, in a well ventilated spot in my room, when I order it this thanksgiving.

Oct 19, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #28 of 2,038
Solution to the power switch problem is to just leave it on all the time. Someone did a calculation that showed a Ragnarok costs ~$20-25 a year if left on constantly.

My Rag has been on almost constantly since I got it and it is barely warm. I have it on a shelf next to my chair out in the middle of the room though.

Yeah, I'm not pleased with that in a rack though. Concerned with needing to replace fans more ferequently & generally just neurotic about the equipment heating up.

Sitting out desk side I don't think the heat is an issue at all.

Oct 25, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #29 of 2,038
I'm getting a buzz over the left channel of the SE output when using IEMs. It doesn't change with volume or gain setting and I can't hear it on  full sized cans.  It not the headphones or the adapter.

Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back