REVIEW: Audiotailor “Jade” Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier
May 23, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #992 of 1,002
@MDR30 the cable is my special design. I have zero audio design experience. I buy discounted spools of ELF gold-plated solid copper, and then try to make a circuit. My soldering skills are bad, and the wire is a little fragile, so I overbuild.

This adapter is from ELF 24AWG GPCC in heatshrink with a small air gap inside and simple quad braided. I don't like the bendy delicate nature of the simple braid, so I sheath it in marine grade heatshrink with the glue layer inside. I might be wrecking the special character of the ELF GPCC. But the adapter sounds AMAZING from the Jade. I think your schematic works with my naive cable build.

May 23, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #993 of 1,002
Well, you seem to have built a mighty fine adapter, your impression of the balanced sound from the Audiotailor Jade certainly points in that direction. The most important thing with DIY is having fun, trying new solutions and enjoying the results.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #994 of 1,002
As a few people have messaged me and shown interest in the Audiotailor CCS amp, I'd like to explain the background of the project in a few words. After living with and appreciating the original Audiotailor Jade for quite a few years, we realized there was a potential in the basic design that could be developed with a new approach. I and my friends started and carried out this fun task simply to satisfy our own curiosity, and for our pleasure, and to share our findings with the headphone community.

We don't have the amp for sale and it will not go into production, but if DIY and headphone enthusiasts want to build it or need further assistance they are welcome to contact us.

IMG_5312.jpg

IMG_5218cutcontrast.jpg

May 26, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #995 of 1,002
Dear Joseph Lau - welcome back to the thread!
MDR30 - I am very impressed! And very interested in the plusses and minuses of this new version, vs the original Jade. I see two output transformers. Is this no longer an OTL? Or a kind of hybrid? (sorry for my dumb amateur questions).
A note:
When I bought Jade back in 2009, I fell in love with its OTL sound, so much so that I changed my main rig as well. From a massive flagship s-state amp, to OTL monoblocs with matching horn speakers. I never looked back. That is high praise indeed, for the Jade.
I called Jade "a classic" earlier in this thread. It is nice to see I am not alone.

May 26, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #996 of 1,002
Dear @Joe Lau, @MDR30 (and others)
Here is a question for you. Over the years, I have found that Jade can do a good job, in two roles. The first is the 'intended' role as headphone amp. The second is an 'additional' role as gain stage in small speaker systems. It can help in this role also. I first found out this using Sony active speakers (SRS ZX-1) in my home office system. Later, it has been confirmed with a Korea-made sound system - Arche audio D50A amp and FR2 speakers (single driver) plus a Fostex submini sub. The FR2 speakers are remarkably clear and coherent (no cross-over). Yet even with the sub, the sound is a bit bright and sharp. So I insert Jade into the gain chain. It is easy to switch Jade between this "speaker system use" and "headphone use". I just mute the system, unplug the cable from Jade to the system, and plug in the headphone instead. In the speaker system role, Jade is the first gain stage in the chain. The RCA cables from my DAC go to the RCA inputs at the back of Jade. I turn the Jade volume to 50 percent, or more.
The cable from Jade to the speaker system has a big jack plug at the Jade end, going into one of the two front Jade outputs. I only found a mini jack to rca cable, so I use a minijack to big jack adapter at the Jade end. At the speaker system end, the cable goes into the rca inputs sub, which divides it into low frequencies (for the sub itself) and higher frequencies (passed on the the Arche amp). So, Jade works as a first gain stage, with its output taken on by the amp in the sub, and the main speaker amp.
The sound changes, according to the volume setting on Jade, compared to the volume on the pc or dac, and the speaker amp(s).
Generally, more volume to Jade and less to the other gain stages = better (to a point).
In brief terms, Jade "humanizes" the sound. Especially with NOS tubes (I use Telefunken driver and RCA output).
Less of the problems that I associate with solid state amps, digital harshness, flat soundscape, etc. It brings out more of the music, even from poor recordings or misguided protool work.
I play DSD native files, where the volume is set (as well as PCM files, streaming etc).
Generally the better the source, the greater the benefit of including Jade in the sound chain. With DSD (my best digital sound, so far) there is just a set volume (not adjustable in the Dac or in windows), then Jade, and then to the speaker and sub amps).
In both cases, there are three gain stages. First, the DAC or pc, next Jade, and then the speaker and sub amps. The trick is to feed these from Jade rather than directly from the DAC. With DSD the DAC part of the total gain is set, this is not a "active partner" in the gain chain. With PCM it can be adjusted, so there are three active partners - with volume controls you can turn up or down, so that the total fits your ears, system and taste. In both cases, it is a bit like creating the best sauce to a tasty dish. And the best thing: you decide. If you like the DAC better directly into your speaker / sub amps, just disconnect Jade. But give it a try.
Is there a sonic loss, introducing Jade as an extra gain stage, in a small speaker system? Yes. I think so. There is some loss of detail. And the attack is less immediate. Yet it is a workable improvement if your speaker amp is solid state and not up to OTL standards. So even with the Arche D50A amp, which is no slouch with a linear power supply, I like the sound better with Jade included in the chain.
In fact, 80 percent of my use of Jade is in this speaker setup. 20 percent is with headphones.

May 26, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #997 of 1,002
MDR30 - I am very impressed! And very interested in the plusses and minuses of this new version, vs the original Jade. I see two output transformers. Is this no longer an OTL? Or a kind of hybrid? (sorry for my dumb amateur questions).
The AJCCS is of course an OTL amp. Those are the mains transformers, one for the heater and one for the high voltage. A single mains transformer can be custom made (and is on order), less space and possible hum problems but higher cost. May be available out there as well, secondary 6,3V and 125V AC.

May 26, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #998 of 1,002
Thanks! And CCS means?

May 26, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #999 of 1,002
Constant Current Source. Check internet.

It's also the acronym of Collective Consciousness Society, a big band with Alexis Corner on vocals, who made some notable albums in the 1970s. Try their debut:

May 26, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #1,000 of 1,002
Thanks! i will check.
The CCS with Alexis Corner LP om Vertigo sounds good - thank you. Even the C flute (that I play) is well recorded (e g on Satisfaction). I have good Mayall LPs from this period, but was not aware of this - although I have other well recorded Vertigo LPs - so thank you.

May 27, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #1,001 of 1,002
So far, no comments on using Jade as a gain stage in a speaker system. No one else has tried this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back