Replacement for trusty Cowon D2 (c12 years after the event!!)
Sep 9, 2023 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

zarjazz

New Head-Fier
Being irritated with iPod's dictating how I managed my music when/how led me to procuring a Cowon D2 , Headsix amp and Ultrasone HFI-780 headphones. At the time, over 13 years ago, this set up met most of my needs.

I have a great many memories of my D2 - it soundtracked many adventures in my previous (pre-kids!) life. Huge fondness - I miss it dearly.

I'm not an audiophile, but cherished having kit that allowed me to manage my music / listening habits without being bound to a specific app / service (I'm flipping the bird at you, iTunes!! :dt880smile:).

Wind the clock forward to today, I have three daughters (eldest of whom is coming up for 13), which has kinda shifted my focus away from DAPs / associated kit onto parenting and reduced music-related hobbies (I used to trawl music blogs for the latest hawt things to try out).

I appreciate that the DAP landscape has changed: I'm looking for a comparable, decent, entry-level+ listening experience comparable with my Cowon D2 set up of yesteryear.

Honestly, I was never 'in the game'. But find today's choices limited / confusing. There's a lot of focus on streaming and Android etc and I'm seeking a back-to-basics DAP.

I'd like something comparable to the D2, with proprietary software and no Android OS etc. But unsure what is a decent shout given my parenting-related absence from DAPs and music appreciation of 12+ years!!!

The power on switch died on my D2 - otherwise I'd still be using it. :)

I need help with:
  • a direct replacement for the D2 (no Android etc OS)
  • resurrecting my much-love D2 (if this is even an option)
  • recommendations on state of the art kit in case I'm able to treat myself (what's the current-day best kit to replace my archaic set up?)
Hands up, I'm a total dumb-dumb / n00b, so place myself wholly at the mercy of the informed gawds. Pls understand I'm not intrinsically lazy, but work / familial duties really restrict my research capabilities!!! I'm hoping to leverage the sage authority of seasoned members to point me in the right direction! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Yes, I feel old. Yes, I feel out of touch / afraid. So please be gentle with me! :relaxed:

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Sep 11, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #5 of 7
Was just posting about this yesterday so maybe will help here too- Cowon have stopped producing DAPs but you can find recent gen models secondhand their Plenue D/D2/D3, V, or J for small form factor long battery life. Sony A55 or secondhand zx300 good options too if your headphones are reasonably efficient (also better UI imo).

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #6 of 7
Was just posting about this yesterday so maybe will help here too- Cowon have stopped producing DAPs but you can find recent gen models secondhand their Plenue D/D2/D3, V, or J for small form factor long battery life. Sony A55 or secondhand zx300 good options too if your headphones are reasonably efficient (also better UI imo).

I took a look at the Sony NW-A55 previously - it seemed to get a fairly decent reception. Thanks for the tip!

May 13, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #7 of 7
Hi all 🙂

A newbie here. I'm also an owner of the Plenue D2 and I'm really liking it. However, I've been using it over four years now and the battery health isn't as good as it used to be (at least that's my feeling). I have to charge it a bit more often these days.

Therefore, I've been considering an idea of buying a new DAP, and another reason would be of course SQ improvement. My headphones are:

Sennheiser HD 660s (using with the balanced 2.5mm. I also have 4.4mm balanced adapter available)
Sony WH-1000XM5 ( using wired with the Plenue)

As you can see I don't own a lot of gear. (I'm not planning to add more headphones at the moment) The DAPs that I've been considering at the moment:

Fiio M23
Ibasso DX260
Shanling M5 Ultra
Hiby R6 Pro 2 (weak battery life?)
Ibasso DX180 (not yet released)

I prefer quite natural sound and pretty neutral sound curve too, although I feel that the 660s bass could be a bit more powerful and prominent. With the Sony I usually EQ the bass a bit lower though. I don't stream music because I have my own music collection (Flac 16/24 bit) on a micro SD card.

My questions are:

How much of SQ improvements I could expect with those DAPs above compared to Plenue D2?
Are there any better DAP options for my gear?
Which DAP would you choose for those headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back