RAAL 1995 Immanis
May 16, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #316 of 320
Best solution for SR-1a/b and CA-1a for sure but I doubt 😕 that’s true for Immanis once you experience the new 300B and EL34 amps from Solaja. I doubt very much that the new amps will sound worse than the VM-1a, and there’s little point releasing them if they’re not ‘better’ than the VM-1a. Time will tell once they’re available for audition. I very much look forward to your thoughts once you have a chance to hear them.
perhaps but I will be fine with my VM-1a....have to draw the line somewhere lol

May 16, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #317 of 320
I don't know. I think it will all depend and time will tell. I was a bit disappointed to hear that the new 300B amp wasn't direct drive, as that does seem to unlock something for the Raal headphones. However, it still sounds very interesting and I'm sure it'll still be an amazing amp. Just will have to wait for a lot more impressions between the two and try to hear for myself.

I heard the Immanis at Axpona w/the Envy and VM-1a. First starting out on the Feliks and then moving to the Vm-1a. I was a bit surprised that the Immanis sounded a bit better on the VM-1a vs. the Envy, although admittedly I had never heard the Envy. Danny mentioned that he was eager to hear my thoughts the differences I heard, and after I shared, he agreed with the assessment. Ultimately the Felix sounded a bit softer overall and less authoritative in the bass. You can see the detailed point in the last bullet of this post in my thread here. Comparatively though, someone may prefer that sound of the Felix for it, particularly if Ribbons may be a bit too aggressive to begin with. And lastly, to be very clear, I found it very good off the Feliks and I would've never thought twice about it if I hadn't moved over to the VM-1a. In fact, I almost didn't because I had limited time and there was one person on it. They just happened to get up as I was preparing to leave. :)
I have the envy and the VM-1a so I am covered relative to 300b tubes if I choose to go that way with the Immanis...I am expecting to be using the VM but who knows the envy is great as well

May 16, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #318 of 320
Regarding amps, I was most surprised with how great it sounded off of the $300 Jotunheim R.

Feels weird hooking a $9k headphone up to it but I really think more people who are avoiding the Immanis/Magna because of price should consider that.

If I had a $10k budget, I think I'd rather the $9k Immanis with an under $1k amp than a $5k headphone with a $5k amp.
In fact, I intend to try exactly that. I'll compare Immanis on the Jot R to Susvara on Bliss or my monoblocks.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #319 of 320
Ultimately the Felix sounded a bit softer overall and less authoritative in the bass. You can see the detailed point in the last bullet of this post in my thread here. Comparatively though, someone may prefer that sound of the Felix for it, particularly if Ribbons may be a bit too aggressive to begin with. And lastly, to be very clear, I found it very good off the Feliks and I would've never thought twice about it if I hadn't moved over to the VM-1a. In fact, I almost didn't because I had limited time and there was one person on it. They just happened to get up as I was preparing to leave. :)
I’m not sure what 300B or drivers Danny had in his Envy at Axpona.

I can have the Envy lean warm and romantic (not my preference) or very detailed and revealing depending on the 300B (I’m an Elrog guy) and drivers I pair. Some prefer the WE and find the Elrogs too much…… not me!

I have not had the pleasure to hear the Immanis at this point……with any amp!

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #320 of 320
I’m not sure what 300B or drivers Danny had in his Envy at Axpona.

I can have the Envy lean warm and romantic (not my preference) or very detailed and revealing depending on the 300B (I’m an Elrog guy) and drivers I pair. Some prefer the WE and find the Elrogs too much…… not me!

I have not had the pleasure to hear the Immanis at this point……with any amp!

Yea I almost mentioned the tube aspect as well, as it can definitely be a factor as well. Didn't really get a chance to ask or think to in the moment. What I will say is it didn't strike me as a tube nuanced change, which is usually a bit more subtle in nature (even with the best of tubes).

I also don't think it's really about the Feliks here as I've gotten the same feedback from a few on the AIC-10 vs. the VM-1a, of which the former I've had in my house for an extended period of time and know is one of the best amps I've ever heard. Just want to make it abundantly clear that my post isn't really about the Envy and more about the VM-1a. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back