Quest for the Best - High End CD Player
May 7, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #61 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he was asking if the DV-50 can do PCM --> DSD like the DV-60 not whether it converts DSD to PCM prior to output.

I misunderstood what he was looking for. I give it one more shot then leave to those that no a lot more about this than me. The DV-60 has a switch between FIR, FIR + RDOT and PCM to DSD. The DV-50, which I have has FIR, RDOT and FIR + RDOT. I am far from an expert so take my conclusions with a grain of salt. I just started doing some research and this is what I came up with. Hopefully one of you guys can make more sense of it.
biggrin.gif
It does seem from all the reading I've done that the PCM to DSD was not discussed in anything written about the DV-50. It only is discussed relative to the DV-60. Certainly not a definitive answer but it seems to make sense.

May 7, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #62 of 91
Got a pretty good deal on an trade-in Esoteric DV-60, so I guess my decision is made
evil_smiley.gif
The best thing is, it still has warranty on it.

May 7, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #63 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got a pretty good deal on an trade-in Esoteric DV-60, so I guess my decision is made
evil_smiley.gif

Your K1000s will thank you. Congrats.

May 8, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #64 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Enjoy!

May 9, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #66 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When searching for the best CDP, it may be that the best CDP for one format (e.g., SACD) may be inferior for another format (e.g., Redbook).

I describe this in post #46, at the following thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...97#post2942197

Ans also in post #342, at the following thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...65#post2942165

That may be true, but as long as it is an overall better player than the one I replaced, it is still an upgrade to me.

May 9, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #68 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When searching for the best CDP, it may be that the best CDP for one format (e.g., SACD) may be inferior for another format (e.g., Redbook).

I describe this in post #46, at the following thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...97#post2942197

Ans also in post #342, at the following thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...65#post2942165

Mike, thanks for relating your experiences. I have had similar results. Since I have so many redbook CDs already, the redbook SQ is paramount for me. In my audition of a number of high-end CD players, redbook playback is the defining metric. EMM Labs CDSA SE has surprised me in this regard, as its redbook playback on my system was outstanding, and SACD was even better.

Since I am not going to replace my redbook CDs with SACD (even if they were available) I am going for the best redbook CD playback I can find - and consider any improvement from SACD to be a bonus.
k1000smile.gif

May 10, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #69 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by vilg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello there,
I think you should consider the Nova Physics Memory player (some info Here) along with the APL NWO 2.5T. The latter won a shootout some time ago where the EMM labs combo also participated. Details can be found Here.
I think I remember reading that head-fi member neilvg is getting the APL player, so perhaps he will chime in and tell more about it.
smily_headphones1.gif

I did read about both of these, and they are both a bit above my maximum budget for a CDP. The Nova Physics Memory player sounds interesting and the APL NWO 2.5T has gotten a great recommendation from Neilvg, who has one on order. I will look forward to hearing his review of this player once he has had it in his system for a while.

In the meantime, I have decided on the EMM Labs CDSA SE one-box solution. From my extensive audition of this unit in my system it had the best redbook reproduction that I heard, and the SACD was even better. The other great thing about this unit is that it has a USB port on the back so that you can download future firmware changes from the manufacturer on the spot, without sending the unit in for an upgrade - a very nice feature.

Thanks to all of you for your valued input.
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

May 10, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #70 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't wait to get my NWO 2.5t... waiting... waiting... so far 2007 has been the year of waiting...

... I'm thinking specifically of someone.

Neil

Heehee :/ It's tough waiting! Man the CDSA SE does look like a hot onebox solution. I think I've figured out what I'm going to do as well... dv50s + the APL DAC with perhaps a few tweaks if I can pin down Alex Peychev for some demos/talks. It won't be quite Neil's NWO 2.5t, but I have confidence that this will last me at least the time it takes me to feel financially secure enough for the NWO 3.0t (I assume this is what will be available by the time this eventuality is a reality).

It'd be really great to perhaps get the demos going when Neil's 2.5t is done
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #72 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tassie Devil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Guys

Just joined and spotted this discussion. I've just posted a relevant review at

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...37#post2946037

I'd repost it here but really no need for that.

John (a VERY happy camper)

This whole burn-in question adds another wrinkle of complexity in auditioning candidates in the "quest for the best" CDP. I would make sure that you know if a demo player has been burned in or not, as it can make a significant difference. The demo units that were sent to me each had many hours on them, so I should have been comparing apples to apples.

May 14, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #73 of 91
It's sad to say, but burn in is huge! Some people who have purchased units for short periods of time, and who have either not realized, or believed this, have unfortunately sold very fine players, left with a less than stellar impression about them. This is even the case with the SACD layer and RBCD layer on the same player! They both need to be burned in separately. I remember when I was burning my EMM Labs in and I had over 1000 hours on my RBCD layer but very little on the SACD. SACD's sounded drastically different, not better. THe msot noticeable difference is usually the feeling of 'congestion' with limited dynamics and detail in comparison to a more effortless and open sound that will naturally develop through burn in.

Why is this so? I have no idea, and again, it is unfortunate, because many high end CDP's really benefit after burn in, and before this time has elapsed, they usually do not portray their true character.

Neil

May 15, 2007 at 11:49 AM Post #75 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmarshl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This whole burn-in question adds another wrinkle of complexity in auditioning candidates in the "quest for the best" CDP. I would make sure that you know if a demo player has been burned in or not, as it can make a significant difference. The demo units that were sent to me each had many hours on them, so I should have been comparing apples to apples.

Normally, yes, demo equipment should be burned in. However, new equipment can sound harsh, or closed in, because the caps etc. needs time to settle. After 300 hours or so, it should portray the sound it is capable of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back