phatlab Sassy2 Hybrid Portable Headphone Amplifier impressions and discussion thread
Oct 13, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #31 of 49
Pics appear to be fine (unless you had images of the Phantasy II?).

Yeah, shame about the high price of Phatlabs' amp. I was really interested in the Phantasy but ~$1500 is crazy. Moving down to the Sassy runs about half that which puts it around the same price as ALO's CV5 (also overpriced but the CV5 tube can be rolled).

I was looking at the pics on a browser at work and I think it blocks the pics there which is I why i thought they were not showing up. The pics are of the Sassy II. Kinda spoiled by the Sassy II, not sure the regular Sassy would cut it for me despite it being a great amp in its own right.

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #32 of 49
Yes, the price really is a bit hard to swallow especially if you haven't heard how good it is in person. Once you see/feel/hear the quality though it starts to make sense. The designer actually told me he thinks smartphone DACs are good enough nowadays so if you agree with that the price is considerably less than a lot of upmarket DAPs though of course it doesn't have the same portability. For home or office use though it's really all you need.

What images are you talking about? If you mean the ones in your post I can see them just fine.

Also it would be great if you could post your review in the Head Gear section here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/phatlab-sassy-ii-portable-headphone-amplifier.22318/reviews
If you look in the space just above where my review starts there should be some blank stars. If you click on them it should take you to the writing page (you can just copy+paste the article from your post here).

Thanks for the heads-up on re-posting in that forum also! I went ahead and did as you recommended! :)

Nov 14, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #34 of 49
Pics appear to be fine (unless you had images of the Phantasy II?).

Yeah, shame about the high price of Phatlabs' amp. I was really interested in the Phantasy but ~$1500 is crazy. Moving down to the Sassy runs about half that which puts it around the same price as ALO's CV5 (also overpriced but the CV5 tube can be rolled).

AiCfIFe.jpg

The price does make sense once you listen to Phatlab Phantasy.
Actually I'm looking for a portable high-end tube amp and was looking at Woo Audio Wa8, had a listen to it for close to an hour to get used to the sound but I don't like how Wa8 sound - way too forward and the vocals tends to shout onto my face! Seriously I don't know why so many rave about Wa8. Also 4 hours battery life totally shut off the deal for me.
Phatlab Phantasy on other hand sounds smooth and full bodied with slightly laid back mids, layering is amazing. Sennheiser HD800, HD650, HD650, Grado GS1k, Grado PS500 all sounds excellent on the Phantasy!

May 19, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #36 of 49
Guys, is it ok, when the switching between high and low gain on Phatlab Sassy GT is loud, very sensible?
It should be fine. Are you using a very sensitive IEM when it happens? If you're worried about it you can always unplug your earphone for a second while you switch the gain.

May 19, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #37 of 49
It should be fine. Are you using a very sensitive IEM when it happens? If you're worried about it you can always unplug your earphone for a second while you switch the gain.
It is loud even with Beyerdynamics 990 or SOUNDWARRIOR SW-HP20.(
But that's fine. I just wanted to make sure that I'm not alone))

May 12, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #38 of 49
Just ordered a Sassy GT! Hoping they pair well with the ZMF Auteur. Anyone know if the tubes are replaceable or what their life expectancy is?

May 12, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #39 of 49
Just ordered a Sassy GT! Hoping they pair well with the ZMF Auteur. Anyone know if the tubes are replaceable or what their life expectancy is?
Wow, haven't seen action in this thread for a while. Not sure about the life expectancy of the tubes but mine are still going strong. Hmmm, need to give it some love. I just realized I haven't even tried my Sundara with it yet. Shame on me!

May 12, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #40 of 49
Wow, haven't seen action in this thread for a while. Not sure about the life expectancy of the tubes but mine are still going strong. Hmmm, need to give it some love. I just realized I haven't even tried my Sundara with it yet. Shame on me!
For sure! Seems like a great product - shame there isn't more feedback on it. Was able to get the GT used at a great price. Had been looking for a great portable tube amp to use with over ears, hard to drive ones included, and this seems to fit the bill! Can't wait to receive it :L3000:

Jun 25, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #41 of 49
Hey guys, posting this question here, as I don’t see a dedicated thread for Phantasy. One of the biggest complaints about the Phantasy 1 was the microphonics. Now I see a Phantasy 2. Have any of you, or any of your friends tried it to comment on the microphonics on the new version?

Jun 25, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #42 of 49
Hey guys, posting this question here, as I don’t see a dedicated thread for Phantasy. One of the biggest complaints about the Phantasy 1 was the microphonics. Now I see a Phantasy 2. Have any of you, or any of your friends tried it to comment on the microphonics on the new version?
Sadly haven't heard the old or new Phantasy. I still love my Sassy 2 but I do wish it had a balanced output.

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #44 of 49
Phantasy II now has a 4.4mm output but only SE input so not fully balanced.

While Phantasy II is a SE amp and its 4.4mm is SE, the input does not determine if the amp is SE or Bal. It comes down to the circuit. A differential (balanced) amp can take a SE signal and output a Bal signal.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #45 of 49
While Phantasy II is a SE amp and its 4.4mm is SE, the input does not determine if the amp is SE or Bal. It comes down to the circuit. A differential (balanced) amp can take a SE signal and output a Bal signal.

True. I have a couple of amps with that ability. I only meant the Phantasy II isn't 100% differential (unlike ALO's CDM or my Oriolus BA-10 with fully balanced 6-pin input and a 2.5mm output).

Also, there are SE only amps with balanced outputs for convenience like the Eleven XI Audio Broadway S or the Cavalli CTH on Massdrop. Hopefully we'll find out if the Phantasy II is similar or if it uses some kind of inverter or phase-splitter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back