Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Jun 10, 2024 at 6:35 AM Post #4,381 of 4,387
Speaking for myself, I came to terms with it quickly as it had been heading in a bad direction for years... and like I say I've certainly lived a life & been to about 60 countries... to have had four and a half years to start a new passion project business Id wanted to do for years which is totally online retail that I can do from my bed, get deep into personal audio, listen to & discover lots of music/watch thousands of films/read so many books & comics play a hell of a lot of games... I'm pretty ok!!!

I'll need to keep the Mojo 2 as I need something ultra portable for when I leave the house & I do not believe any ultra portable DAP/DAC exists and I've tried 50+ and owned the 4k Astell & Kern SP3000 (💩💩💩💩💩💩) and a few others - I just strap my Sony ZX707 to the Mojo 2 and I really don't believe a better solution exists for my ears.
Nice! The Chord sound can be divisive but if you love it, you love it! You could also say that about the SP3k. I have the copper edition and I do like that though it mainly stays as the source for my Chord stack!

Jun 10, 2024 at 7:23 AM Post #4,382 of 4,387
Nice! The Chord sound can be divisive but if you love it, you love it! You could also say that about the SP3k. I have the copper edition and I do like that though it mainly stays as the source for my Chord stack!

The Chord sound is definitely unique but I think it has a lot more love than dislike. People complain about the colour system, but if you can remember a phone number, your good*

Yeah I was using the SP3000 as source for my Mojo 2 - that's obviously completely ridiculous so I swapped it for some Elysian Annihilators & sold then here. Much easier to sell given demand in US.

I didn't think the SP3000 sound was bad, just (to my ears) very average - nothing esp characteristic about it as per the Mojo 2, I didn't think it potentially sounded divisive - but price vs performance is absolutely abysmal. No DSP/EQ & can't download one!? A lot of that four grand is going on the luxury watch metal they use - which you can't even see as you have to put it in case other wise you'll stab yourself... you don't to put an uncased one in your jeans pocket otherwise you... erggh, don't even want to think about it 😅

Do you feel you got your money's worth with it? That was my problem with it & I thought it was terrible on that front

Jun 10, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #4,383 of 4,387
Sorry to hear that man - that hit you really young. I hope you've found a way to be happy & content in a very similar, limited life like mine currently is. I'm surprised how content & happy I am, but I was lucky to live a million miles an hour since I was a teenager - so I can take some comfort in that I had 25 years of wild adventures, more than most would in 10 lifetimes... I'm actually really happy at home. As much as I love my fiancé (who is only hear weekends) I value my alone time midweek enormously.

Thanks for the tips & have a great day.

I'll reply when I have had a few hours on the Z1 (could arrive any minute - very excited!!!)

Thank you, for your kind words & I’m pleased that you find the courage to manage your circumstances & the love & support of your partner.

My partner has been with me for over 30 years. We don’t live together, but he has got me through the last 24 years ( & the whole 30. )

My severe M.E. stopped me from listening to music, for at least the first 5 years & i wondered if I would ever be able to listen to music ever again ?? I gradually built it up, over the coming years & if anything i listen too much & it gets me through the days.

I hope you really enjoy your DMP-Z1 when it arrives, I’m certain you will & that you decide to keep it ?

Jun 10, 2024 at 7:38 AM Post #4,384 of 4,387
I am sorry that the both of you are disabled. So happy that we have music that keeps us going no matter our circumstances. Also great to see the both of you so active here! Thanks!

I don't have experience with either of the the Mojo or the Hugo 2. I do have the TT2 and paired with the M Scaler it is magical. This stack stays in the office and I could not love them more.

The Z1 on the other hand stays at home.

I love them both. Different flavours, both evoking different emotions. Both just as engaging. I think you may end up keeping both!

Thank you, for your kind, sincere words & yes, music gets everyone through life. It’s universal ! All i talk about is the DMP-Z1 & probably bore people on here ! :sweat_smile:

Jun 10, 2024 at 7:46 AM Post #4,386 of 4,387
Thank you, for your kind words & I’m pleased that you find the courage to manage your circumstances & the love & support of your partner.

My partner has been with me for over 30 years. We don’t live together, but he has got me through the last 24 years ( & the whole 30. )

My severe M.E. stopped me from listening to music, for at least the first 5 years & i wondered if I would ever be able to listen to music ever again ?? I gradually built it up, over the coming years & if anything i listen too much & it gets me through the days.

I hope you really enjoy your DMP-Z1 when it arrives, I’m certain you will & that you decide to keep it ?

Love is the most important thing. I'm so lucky to have an absolutely fantastic & caring partner. I'm glad to hear you have also.

Yes it arrived & I am ABSOLUTELY keeping it - I thought I'd replied to you saying this but it's possible I messed up.

What a fantastic piece of kit - sheer power & beauty - and who doesn't love a big golden knob!? 🤣🤣

Jun 10, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #4,387 of 4,387
You thought correct.

I'm absolutely blown away. Never heard anything this good. Absolute magic!!!

I'm also only using Tidal via Bluetooth as I wasn't able to connect my Sony DAP ZX707 (I had an Astell & Kern SP3000 before this and I couldn't believe how painfully dreadful it was, Id tried a few other top end DAPs but nothing sounded close to a Mojo 2 - so I bought the 707 as its the smallest Sony that has fast enough OS & just strap my Mojo 2 to that for when I'm going out/using IEMs at home) via USB. I've only tried my Sony MDR-1ZR headphones so far, not played with any settings at all, so I am looking forward to getting stuck in for the rest of the day :)

Is there a way to play Tidal (wired from my DAP / another solution) through the Z1? I know the point of this thing is to play excellent quality files, but Tidal's algorithm is absolutely superb for discovering new music.

The only immediate downer was just a balanced input cable and that's not going to work with a few pairs I own. I've been looking for 6.5 male - 4.4 female adapter and at this point I'm beginning to thin they don't exist! Absolutely not a dealbreaker though - I'll have to buy yet more cables 😅

The Topping DX9 stays as its good enough for everything I need it to be... gaming /films /football when the missus is sleeping - it also acts as a pre amp for my Cayin HA-1A MK2 tube amp amp which It seems to be do a decent enough job with, although headphone center tube amps are not something I know about - bought it around Xmas to dip my toe & I love it... may sound better with a different pre amp? No idea.

I am massively curious as to how this compares to the Mojo 2 for IEMs... but I'm just going to not touch & enjoy it's current setup for a few hours :).

I'll let you know my thoughts on IEMs on this this vs the Mojo 2, which I think is absolute witchcraft for IEMs... this is definitely the one for overheads, but I'm such a big fan of the Mojo 2's very unique sound & with IEMs being much easier to power... anyway enough blabbering... I have music to fix my head on what had otherwise proven a very stressful & physically painful day.

I’m so pleased to hear your immediate response & if an inexperienced novice, like myself, compared to other’s on here, says it’s unique, then it is.

I don’t use Tidal & as I’ve said, all i ever tried, was connecting to my AVR & try Bluetooth paired with my Sony DAP ZX300. Neither were long listens, but for the time I did, it didn’t sound the same. I personally think that the DSD Re-Mastering Engine, is just one of the magical reasons, why this player is so addictive.

My cognitive function, is impaired, so I’m still trying to grasp your cables connection, balanced or not ?? Or what you haven’t got ?? Again, not sure, but there must be adapter’s ? I bought a cheap adapter, because my Focal MG’s cable aren’t terminated with 4.4mm. I don’t think you’re saying that scenario ?? More that you haven’t headphones & cables to match, for balanced, or is that unbalanced ?? I’m confusing myself & you ! :sweat_smile:

I’ve got the Sony MDR-1ZR’s & ironically i don’t like them with the DMP-Z1 & i tried a custom cable, besides stock cable. Type of cable, as been discussed on here & suggested. I loved my Sony 1AM2’s paired with it, listened for thousands of hours with that, but long length custom cable failed & i haven’t replaced it. Been using my Focal Clear MG’s, for the last 1.200 + hours of listening. These headphones are really good, at their best, dependent on the music & production.

I’ve never purchased IEM’s, I’m not sure if i could physically tolerate them ?? I do know, that owners of the DMP-Z1, have praised how good the sound is, with their IEM’s. Even though, I’ve never taken to the Z1R’s, with the DMP-Z1, in general, it takes any headphone, to another level.

Wishing you a less stressful & some ease with your pain.

Enjoy your new toy ! I’m about to hit 2.000 hours, on my “third ownership’, so to speak ! Well, I’ve gone past 2.000 hours, given the mis calculations of audio playback, which has happened, more than a few times, during ownership. Don’t recall exact figure, but I’ve now clocked up something in the region of 4.500 + hours, and that’s ALL listening, no leaving it to run, with burn in. I reckon not losing 9 months, i would have been nearer the 6.000 hours mark, but just happy to have it repaired & working, again.

I just hit 2.000 hours on the display, ( Really 2.005 + adding player miscalculation. ) in less than a year, for this “third experience”.

Attachments

• IMG_1936.jpeg
    IMG_1936.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back