New Dali iO-12 ANC Headphones – Impressions Thread
Apr 29, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #1,051 of 1,141
From what I've been reading there's not a lot between the 2 in terms of sound quality and features. I've heard amazing reviews for both headphones and will be demo'ing them tomorrow, I really can't wait!
Let us know about your impressions after listening.

When listening to DALI iO-12, make sure ANC and bass mode are disabled.

In order for the choice to be correct, you need a clear understanding of your priorities.
Good luck!

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #1,052 of 1,141
Let us know about your impressions after listening.

When listening to DALI iO-12, make sure ANC and bass mode are disabled.

In order for the choice to be correct, you need a clear understanding of your priorities.
Good luck!
Thanks @Dalmonegrig this will indeed be one of my listening tests and I will share my impressions 👍

Apr 30, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #1,053 of 1,141
Based on my budget and personal preferences, I have narrowed down my options to 2 headphones - the Dali IO-12 and the ML 5909. The Dali's are currently in pole but I can get the 5909s at a much lower price which might be better in terms of bang for my buck.
I still own both. I decided in favor of the Dali-12, but have been using my 5909 for all my Zoom and phone calls. Both are great. In a nutshell: 5909 for clarity (and any call use case). IO-12 for musicality and sound stage. My 5909 are up for sale, but I am not very motivated to see them go as they are different enough from the IO-12, and also have excellent mics for people at the other end of calls. Planning on replacing down the line with the Bose QC Ultra you have for calls and travel.

Apr 30, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #1,054 of 1,141
I still own both. I decided in favor of the Dali-12, but have been using my 5909 for all my Zoom and phone calls. Both are great. In a nutshell: 5909 for clarity (and any call use case). IO-12 for musicality and sound stage. My 5909 are up for sale, but I am not very motivated to see them go as they are different enough from the IO-12, and also have excellent mics for people at the other end of calls. Planning on replacing down the line with the Bose QC Ultra you have for calls and travel.
That's interesting you use the 5909 for calls. I've been using my Dalis on all my Zoom calls and it seems to be completely fine. I did three different quality checks and everyone said they could hear me very clearly.

Do you have a particular use case in your meetings?

Apr 30, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #1,055 of 1,141
Yeah I will say the io-12 is a bad headphone if you need it to be travel perfect. ANC is average, mic is average, case is big, but the musicality and the overall sound is amazing.

Apr 30, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #1,056 of 1,141
Yeah I will say the io-12 is a bad headphone if you need it to be travel perfect. ANC is average, mic is average, case is big, but the musicality and the overall sound is amazing.
While I would say bad is a bit harsh, it's definitely not the ideal if you're focused more on portability and ANC. I traveled with them just fine across Asia with minimal annoyances, mostly centered around finding a good carrying case due to the aforementioned size. ANC was adequate for my flights and I was able to nap with them on too. They really are comfy to wear for long periods of time.

Prior to that I was using the Airpod Maxes, but I definitely don't miss them.

Apr 30, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #1,057 of 1,141
While I would say bad is a bit harsh, it's definitely not the ideal if you're focused more on portability and ANC. I traveled with them just fine across Asia with minimal annoyances, mostly centered around finding a good carrying case due to the aforementioned size. ANC was adequate for my flights and I was able to nap with them on too. They really are comfy to wear for long periods of time.

Prior to that I was using the Airpod Maxes, but I definitely don't miss them.
They are super comfy so points for that. I can wear them forever really with minimal fuss. They just don’t fit well in anything other than a backpack and the anc is like…meh. Depends on how noisy the environment is like NYC subway or London tube? Might be an issue. Relatively quiet international flight? Fine

Apr 30, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #1,058 of 1,141
This morning I had the privilege to try out the Dali IO-12 and Mark Levinson 5909 headphones. Huge shout out to Alex at Premium Sound in Kensington, London for his hospitality and assistance throughout.

Unfortunately, I was pressed for time so I wasn’t able to try out the headphones either passively or using USB connection. All my testing was conducted using Bluetooth connectivity with ANC on and off as well as testing the other functions available on both headphones.

I only had time to use the following tracks for my testing:
  • ‘On The Run’ and ‘Time’ – Pink Floyd – Dark Side of the Moon
  • ‘A Love Supreme, Part 2: Resolution’ – John Coltrane – A Love Supreme
  • ‘London Calling’ – The Clash – The Essential
  • ‘Son et Lumiere’ – The Mars Volta – De-Loused in the Comatorium
  • ‘All Along The Watchtower’ - The Jimi Hendrix Experience – Electric Ladyland
There were so many other tracks and genres I wanted to try but I just didn’t have the luxury of time to do it.

First off the 5905’s, which wowed me as soon as I connected my audio. Wide soundstage and bright, I thought, and the presentation was like sitting a few rows back in a concert hall. Clarity and refinement was exceptional. Connected using LDAC.

Next were the IO-23’s. Now I am going to be honest, when I first put them I wasn’t as wowed like I was with the 5909’s. Everything sounded a bit compressed and shouty and I was slightly underwhelmed so I kept going back and forth between the two headphones to A-B test across the tracks. I then realised that I hadn’t set the connection to APTX-HD for the IO-12’s at whichpoint the sound dramatically improved.

I kept going back and forth, using ANC Off on both as my first run through with bass mode disabled on the IO-12’s (I did try it for a bit and wasn’t really impressed so I will not be using it).

At first I was erring toward the 5909’s, where it matched my preferences perfectly. However, when I played ‘London Calling’ on the IO-12’s, this is when the decision was made for me! The sound of the bass drum was spine tingling awesome, I honestly thought I was sitting in front of Topper Headon’s drum kit! From that moment I was hooked. Next-up I listened to ‘A Love Supreme, Part 2: Resolution’ and, again, found the playback exceptional. The point where Coltrane comes in was absolutely jaw dropping. The sound is just so immersive that i found myself at the centre at whatever i was listening to, the sound enveloping around me. Soundstage is just as good as the 5909's with a warmer tilt.

To put the icing on the cake I was able to snuck a deal on an open box pair which were slightly cheaper than the normal asking price.

So the deed is done, I am now the proud and delighted owner of the IO-12, I have subsequently been able to try it out using USB connectivity and it sounds just as good. I am so pleased with this purchase. They are by no means perfect, there are some minor niggles but I really cannot be bothered to ruminate over them because the headphones are just so gorgeously awesome in terms of looks and sound!

Apr 30, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #1,059 of 1,141
welcome to the club! That growing pleased feeling is an experience a lot of us here share :)

Apr 30, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #1,063 of 1,141
Got a deal from a friend who needed to unload his for uhhhh cheap cause…sports betting related losses lmao. So I benefited I suppose.
You have good friends haha

May 2, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #1,064 of 1,141
For the majority of people 'Bohemian Rhapsody' (1975) by Queen is the band's best song in their discography, and in many published lists (for many years) of the top 10/20/50 rock/pop songs in the history of rock music, this song is coming usually at number 1, 2 or 3.

BUT for me Queen's very best song, and a genuine masterpiece, in my opinion, is 'The March of the Black Queen' (1974). The history of this recording, by the way, is very interesting because is almost impossible that this song is becoming a reality --because of all the overdubs necessary and the limitations of doing this in 1974-- for achieving what Freddie Mercury is intending.

The iO-12 is making a superb reproduction of this unique piece of music (often unsatisfactory with many headphones/earphones), with very excellent extraction of what is recorded in left and right channels and a very nice stereo picture too. I have the "Apple Digital Master" version (previously the name is "Mastered for iTunes") of this song and album.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #1,065 of 1,141
IMG_2809.jpeg

IMG_2810.jpeg

After two months of waiting, I finally received an express delivery from Dali from Denmark. Yes! Brand-new Dali io6 ear pads!

After testing, they are perfectly installed on dali io12. Although my local supplier said before that this earpads are not suitable for io12, I hereby prove that io6 earpods can be applied directly to io12.

Now I have a limited edition io12 with a real chocolate colour, haha.

The first obvious change is that it is easier and more stable to wear, and less hot.

I will listen to it for a while and then give feedback on whether there is any change in their voices.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back