Name your choice of the 5 ultimate dynamic headphone amps
Apr 18, 2006 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

bifcake

Headphoneus Supremus
I was wondering what everyone thinks is the ultimate headphone amp. By "ultimate", I mean the best sounding, not the best price/performance ratio, not convenience or portability or features. Naturally, everyone has a different preferences, but I'm trying to gauge the general feel. Please feel free to list either tube or solid state amps, current production or discontinued models. Please limit your choices to dynamic headphone amplifiers.

I'll start:

Cary CAD-300SEI To me, this is by far THE BEST dynamic headphone amp at any price.

Cary SLP-88 Very close to the 300SEI, lacking only in the Nth degree of refinement at higher volumes.

Ray Samuels' Emmeline Stealth - Fast, open, albeit not as smooth or silky as the Cary models.

Rudistor (forgot the model number) The solid state model with a single headphone jack. - Fast, involving, neutral without being boring. Nice amp. Competes very closely with the Stealth.

SinglePower PPX-3 6sn7 This is the only SinglePower amp I like. Its sound signature resembles the Cary offerings, albeit not as refined. Smooth, extended, perhaps lacking the ultimate speed, but quite musical and non-fatiguing.

Apr 18, 2006 at 8:31 AM Post #2 of 19
Really haven't tried enough amps to pick "five ultimate amps," but I know my tastes:

Dislike:

Headroom amps, singelpower, tube amps in general.

Like:

Ray Samuels line of SS, M^3/Dynahi, higher-end Gilmores like GS-1.

-Matt

Apr 18, 2006 at 11:47 AM Post #3 of 19
all of those mentioned don't sit well with me, except for the gilmore. my top two are ear hp4 and the very rare krell headphone amp. i assume a decked out gilmore sounds best for something that's easily had however.

Apr 18, 2006 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 19
To date, the Singlepower MPX3 slam has made me smile the most! I'm not saying it's the be-all end-all as I've still got a long way to go but so far, it's the best for my taste of the amps I've tried. Heckuva amp!

Apr 18, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #6 of 19
I also think I have not tried enough amp but if I have to...
biggrin.gif
:

Earmax AE & Rudistor RP7-B

and I think I won't be disappointed with
one of singlepower's top line and LaRocco headcode Triad I'll get soon.

Apr 18, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 19
Besides the balanced Dynahi (Dynamite), I would add the Moth EA3

Apr 18, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #11 of 19
In no particular order:

HP4,
Audiovalve RKV,
EAR V20,
Earmax AE,
GS-X,
SDS-XLR & Supra
RP1000 & RP7
heavily modded Melos SHA-Gold & SHA-X
Cary's

Apr 18, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #12 of 19
If you absolutely had to rate them and put them in order, what would it be?

Apr 18, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #13 of 19
From what I've heard:

#1) Headroom Max Balanced (Should have spent more time with this one at the meet)
#2) Dynahi
#3) Singlepower PPX3-6SN7
#4) Maxed out PPA (Diamond buffers/steps/"audiophile" caps/OPA-627s)
#5) Headroom Millett Hybrid

Apr 19, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #14 of 19
Meaningless question, as I doubt that there are any people out there who have spent enough time with all of the top amps to rate them with any accuracy. I believe that I've heard more than most people, some from ownership and some at meets, but can name some amps that I've never heard, and would likely make your list. Those that I would consider among the top I've heard:

Tubed:
Singlepower SDS, SDS-XLR
Wheatfield HA-2*
modded Earmax Pro* or EMP AE *
modded Cary 300 SEI* (note: I've auditioned a stock unit, and do not consider it to be a contender)
EAR HP4

Note: just to state the obvious, for those who might miss it, the sound of a tube amp is very dependent on the tubes used. Any of these amps could drop off the list with the wrong tubes.

Solid State:
Headroom Balanced Max
Headamp Gilmore Balanced Reference
Singlepower solid state amp*

*not currently on the market, as far as I know.

Apr 19, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #15 of 19
Silly Stuff but here it goes anyway...

These are the amps that I've had the opportunity to either listen to in the comfort of my home for more than a week or at minimum in a quite distraction-free environment for over two hours (all with my gear and reference CDs).

Eddie Curent (Moth Audio): (Alll three are tube amps)
Black Rose (3+ hours)
EC-2A3 (own it)
icon10.gif

Zana Deux* (2+ hours)
*Didn't have my source and cables with the Zana, but it was mighty impression nonetheless and worthy of inclusion.

Dynahi (Solid State amp)
Dynamite (2+ hours)

Ray Samuels Audio (tubes or somewhat of a hybrid between tubes and solid state amp)
Raptor (10 days)

Singlepower (tube amp)
MPX3* (20 days)
*IMO, NOS tubes were absolutely necessary in the MPX3 and made a substantial improvement over the stock electro harmonix tubes, which I didn't care for in the slightest. If I remember correctly, one Ken-Rad and two Sylvanias were particularly pleasing and brought this amp up on par with the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back