Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC (and headphone amp)
Sep 20, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #16 of 576
I was talking with a guy who also posts here about the Wavelight and he loves it. He is selling (for his buddy) an unopened Wavelight for 4Kish USD on USAudiomart). I was considering getting it but decided to spend the money on a rack and some cables instead.

The Tambaqui was available for around 8K used in the past few years in the USA, but now the DAC is getting pumped up more in the press so I have not seen too much this year.

Sep 20, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #17 of 576
The Benchmark does seem like a good amp, maybe it could be added to the DAC. :)

Benchmark does have an all in one unit, DAC + analog inputs + digital inputs + volume, it is the DAC3 HGC. It is very good but the HPA4 is in rarefied air as a preamp. I also think the HPA4 is excellent as a headphone amp.

Sep 26, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #19 of 576
Thanks - another great review!

Dec 10, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #20 of 576
Anyone here tried the Tambaqui? Have been reading so many glowing reviews about it. Seems like an awesome unit to have. The form factor is oddly appealing.. Wish it came in black though.

Dec 11, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #21 of 576
Anyone here tried the Tambaqui? Have been reading so many glowing reviews about it. Seems like an awesome unit to have. The form factor is oddly appealing.. Wish it came in black though.
Someone in the Wavelight thread, switched to a Tambaqui not too long ago.
Definitely looks appealing, reviews are also raving about it.

Dec 11, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #22 of 576
I decided to go for a Tambaqui and I absolutely love it. I found a dealer willing to do a home demo for 30 days before I committed. The form factor is perfect for a desk, with the only negative being the headphone sockets being on the back of the unit. If using an external amp though it’s a non-issue. Built in Roon end-point works flawlessly. The control app works without issue and you can configure the controls on the front to allow for preset selection and volume. It works out of the box with an apple remote as well... could be both an advantage or disadvantage. My descriptions of the sound experience would all be subjective, but I haven’t found any negatives on any aspect. The thing I’d want changed is... put the headphone sockets on the front and use the space to add a couple of RCA outputs along with the XLRs to allow 2 amps to be powered. It was expensive, but I have no regrets.

Dec 11, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #23 of 576
I decided to go for a Tambaqui and I absolutely love it. I found a dealer willing to do a home demo for 30 days before I committed. The form factor is perfect for a desk, with the only negative being the headphone sockets being on the back of the unit. If using an external amp though it’s a non-issue. Built in Roon end-point works flawlessly. The control app works without issue and you can configure the controls on the front to allow for preset selection and volume. It works out of the box with an apple remote as well... could be both an advantage or disadvantage. My descriptions of the sound experience would all be subjective, but I haven’t found any negatives on any aspect. The thing I’d want changed is... put the headphone sockets on the front and use the space to add a couple of RCA outputs along with the XLRs to allow 2 amps to be powered. It was expensive, but I have no regrets.

Thanks for sharing! What dac were you using before the Tambaqui? I have a dealer near me.. Perhaps I will ask if they will allow a home demo too.

Dec 11, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #24 of 576
I made quite the jump up from an RME ADI-2. :)

May 7, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #25 of 576
@canfabulous what's youre take on the Tambaquie few more months under belt? I'm considering it.. Also, how are you finding it without volume control? my use case will be heavy on headphones, of which I have many with varying sensitivities. I don't mind the connector in back (will get some short connector cable), but worried about convenience of controlling volume even through roon. Did you perhaps get the Tambaqui's optional remote?

on anothre note - if everyone has any feel for how the headphone amp of the Tambaqui compares to the Benchmark HPA4 would love your thoughts

May 8, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #26 of 576
Another new option that might be worth looking into would be the Boulder 812 streaming DAC/preamp/headphone amp. Not much yet in terms of reviews, but it looks promising and should run cheaper than the Mola Mola or Bartok.

The Boulder 812 looks indeed really interesting - any idea when it may come out?

May 8, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #27 of 576
The Boulder 812 looks indeed really interesting - any idea when it may come out?
Yes, it does look pretty cool and quite functional. If past is prolog, it won't be inexpensive! :)

May 10, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #28 of 576
Does the Mola Mola have wifi or is it Ethernet only?

May 10, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #29 of 576
I'm 99% sure it doesn't have built-in WiFi. You could always get an outboard WiFi <==> Ethernet bridge. OTOH, I'd very strongly recommend Ethernet for media applications unless it's impossible to arrange at a given site.

May 16, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #30 of 576
Ethernet only, unless you use your own wifi->ethernet dongle thingy (technical term).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back