McChanson amps tube rolling thread
May 28, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #751 of 761
As I said before, documenting the adapters from xulingmrs is pointless because she is no longer on eBay. Please see @Deyan for your adapter needs.
I never mentioned any suppliers I was merely pointing out the top hat for the smaller 807, i.e. 5B/254A is a different size and anyone buying an adaptor from anywhere should be aware of the different cap sizes when ordering adapters, a standard 807 base will have a larger cap no matter who is making them. Something to be aware of.

May 28, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #752 of 761
I will keep catching up, and hope in the next 2 pages someone provided more info (which adapters needed, for example?) and with more conviction :wink:

Edit: just finished catching up, and no more details were provided...
I will be happy to add any confirmed safe tubes, but please provide more info (power or drivers, which adapters needed if any, etc.)
I (and I believe Matt also) have 5A-152M incoming. Our friend VanHai has these as well. These do require specific adapters which I have for both 6J5 (driver slot) and 6V6/6Y6 (power slot). I also have 5B-255M power tubes incoming, will require adapters as well. I hope to have them all confined as nicely compatible in our UltimatE wonder amp. soon, and thanks so much Zachi for the effort you put in on all of our behalf. You are a rock star! 👨‍🎤

Last edited:
May 29, 2024 at 1:48 AM Post #753 of 761
I (and I believe Matt also) have 5A-152M incoming. Our friend VanHai has these as well. These do require specific adapters which I have for both 6J5 (driver slot) and 6V6/6Y6 (power slot). I also have 5B-255M power tubes incoming, will require adapters as well. I hope to have them all confined as nicely compatible in our UltimatE wonder amp. soon, and thanks so much Zachi for the effort you put in on all of our behalf. You are a rock star! 👨‍🎤

All these tubes except for 255m have been confirmed as working correctly and sounding great in Ultimate.

May 29, 2024 at 3:01 AM Post #754 of 761
Refer to this post @Zachik

They are power tubes.
Added these 2 tube types (5B/254M and 5B/254A).
Also, added the date of last update in the "Notes" column header since it made the most sense without changing the table too much... what do you guys think?

May 29, 2024 at 3:04 AM Post #755 of 761
I (and I believe Matt also) have 5A-152M incoming. Our friend VanHai has these as well. These do require specific adapters which I have for both 6J5 (driver slot) and 6V6/6Y6 (power slot).
Hmmm.... should I add them as driver tubes or power / output tubes? :thinking:
I could add to both sections, with a note for each that these could also be used as the other (with different adapters)? what do you think?

May 29, 2024 at 3:06 AM Post #756 of 761
Hmmm.... should I add them as driver tubes or power / output tubes? :thinking:
I could add to both sections, with a note for each that these could also be used as the other (with different adapters)? what do you think?

5a/152m can be use as driver or power tubes with suitable adapters. Just like c3g.

May 29, 2024 at 3:24 AM Post #757 of 761
May 29, 2024 at 3:59 AM Post #758 of 761
@Zachik

5b/254M to 6L6 is required as an adapter, I have just looked it up when ordering on Ebay from Mrs X.
I forgot about 5B/254A and don't want to say what could be wrong, but if it can also be used as an outlet tune, I assume that 6L6 should also be.

I think it makes sense to write down which adapter you need.
So that Deyan also knows how it has to be polarised, even if it doesn't matter whether it's 6L6 or EL34 as an example.
I can imagine that the pin assignment may be different.
And we don't want to have to send the Ultimate in for repair because of something like that.😇😇😇😇😇😇😇

May 29, 2024 at 4:29 AM Post #759 of 761
Whether it’s to 6L6 or EL34, it will work in Ulimate because Eric tie the pins for the power sockets.

5b/254a needs it’s own adapter. The pins are the same as 807 but the top cap is smaller, similar in size to 5b/254m.

May 29, 2024 at 5:10 AM Post #761 of 761
The parcel with the 6J5 and 6C5 arrived yesterday.
These are really cute little tubes visually, I have to clean them before I show them, the pins are often dirty when I get tubes.

The package also included the 6K6 Neotron.
I compared them to the 6K6 Visseaux and they are 100% identical.
Visseaux print on the base and the whole construction.
It's now my 3rd pair of them, but it's okay.

Paired with Audionote where still playing in
Ez81 Telefunken, E80CC Valvo and 6K6 Neotron (Visseaux):
20240529_105437.jpeg

not bad sounding, but I think the E80cc is a very neutral tube, you don't hear the warmth so much, tends to be more neutral.
But overall it has a very good punch with the instruments and the vocals are also quite good.
Definitely a difference when you come down from the Kt63 Gec.
I guess the tubes still need some time to come round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back