Matrix Element S - finally a dedicated streamer from Matrix!
May 26, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #166 of 172
Yes you can switch modes via the front panel and also using the app. I can't imagine having to power cycle or move cables, that seems really inconvenient.

I think the only thing you can't do is run it as a DDC and also select the USB output to feed your DAC. That gets disabled in DDC mode, so you only get the other outputs like AES, coax, and optical.

If you strictly wanted a USB to USB filter/jitter reduction type device, something like the Stack Audio Link 2 would be a better bet.
Thanks! Seems like this would be a good solution for me!

May 28, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #167 of 172
BTW, is this the only device that's a standalone streamer (i.e., no DAC/amp) that can switch the input via UI? I'm new to streamers and understand there are some that are many levels above this price point.

May 28, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #168 of 172
BTW, is this the only device that's a standalone streamer (i.e., no DAC/amp) that can switch the input via UI? I'm new to streamers and understand there are some that are many levels above this price point.
Hi, there are other devices at this price range that are only streamers, including the Sonore UltraRendu v3, the Mano Ultra mkiii (that comes with. Farad power supply), the Silent Angel Munich, Volumio Rivo and PS Audio Airlens. The PS Audio Airlens, Mano Ultra and Silent Angel have i2s ouput, whereas the UltraRendu and Volumio Rivo have usb output. I'm currently using an UltraRendu Volumio Rivo and the Matrix Element S. All 3 are solid performers and I've never had any issues with any of them. The Volumio app is top notch. The UltraRendu has no app and I use it as a Roon endpoint, but it's so easy to set up and reliable. I have to say that Matrix has been working hard to bring software upgrades for the app and also firmware updates to the Element S after it received Roon certification.

I am using the UltraRendu, LHY clock and Gustard U18 with the Gustard R26 and the sound I'm getting is really good. Very organic and relaxed, but also resolving with excellent imaging and soundstaging. I'm very happy with the combination right now.

I hope this helps. :)

May 28, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #169 of 172
Hi, there are other devices at this price range that are only streamers, including the Sonore UltraRendu v3, the Mano Ultra mkiii (that comes with. Farad power supply), the Silent Angel Munich, Volumio Rivo and PS Audio Airlens. The PS Audio Airlens, Mano Ultra and Silent Angel have i2s ouput, whereas the UltraRendu and Volumio Rivo have usb output. I'm currently using an UltraRendu Volumio Rivo and the Matrix Element S. All 3 are solid performers and I've never had any issues with any of them. The Volumio app is top notch. The UltraRendu has no app and I use it as a Roon endpoint, but it's so easy to set up and reliable. I have to say that Matrix has been working hard to bring software upgrades for the app and also firmware updates to the Element S after it received Roon certification.

I am using the UltraRendu, LHY clock and Gustard U18 with the Gustard R26 and the sound I'm getting is really good. Very organic and relaxed, but also resolving with excellent imaging and soundstaging. I'm very happy with the combination right now.

I hope this helps. :)
Thank you, super helpful! It seems that the Matrix Element S still checks a lot of boxes for me that the others don't. Basically, I need a device that can switch input sources from my PC to ethernet/wifi and vice versa and output via I2S.

May 28, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #170 of 172
Thank you, super helpful! It seems that the Matrix Element S still checks a lot of boxes for me that the others don't. Basically, I need a device that can switch input sources from my PC to ethernet/wifi and vice versa and output via I2S.
Matrix Audio definitely makes great devices and the Element S is a terrific streamer. If you do end up deciding to get the Element S think about buying it from Power Holdings. Arthur is great to deal with and provides excellent customer service and is super helpful. I've purchased a number of gear from Arthur and have always been pleased. Let us know what you end up deciding to do and good luck.

May 28, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #171 of 172
I'm actually not positive it can do USB in to I2S out. Seems like it should be able to, but the manual specifically says coax, AES, and optical, omitting the I2S option from that sentence. Maybe just a mistake on their wording though? I will have to try it when I get a chance.

May 28, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #172 of 172
I'm actually not positive it can do USB in to I2S out. Seems like it should be able to, but the manual specifically says coax, AES, and optical, omitting the I2S option from that sentence. Maybe just a mistake on their wording though? I will have to try it when I get a chance.
This video at about the 1:30 mark seems to suggest I2S is an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back