Looking for HEV90 v. KGSS/Blue Hawaii comparisons
Aug 19, 2005 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

PATB

1000+ Head-Fier
NeilPeart and I had a mini-meet two weeks ago and used the following setup:

Meridian G08 =>Cardas Neutral reference (XLR)=>maxed KGSS=>HE90. To my surprise, the HE90 was not bright at all. The treble is extended but is silky smooth all the way. While I preferred the Omega II bass, the HE90 has enough bass for my taste. The HE90 sounded "thinner" than the Omega II, but just enough to make the sound perfect. So, to my noob ears, the KGSS drives the HE90 well enough thank you.

NeilPert didn't bring the Blue Hawaii so we couldn't compare them side by side. I hope he chimes in.

Now, the KGSS has been measured to have a flat response down to DC. This is better than the frequency response of the HEV90. But specs are not everything, so the pudding is in the actual listening.

The HEV90 intrigues me because it is currently not available on the market, and the used ones come with another HE90. So if I want one, I will likely end up with two HE90s.

However, is the HEV90 really better than the Gilmore designs? I see the HEV90 comes with a DAC, but I doubt that DAC is better than my G08's. Or is it?

During meets, it is really difficult to make a more objective comparison because of the amount of time available, the noise, and the "wow" factor of using an amp that needs a key to start! In comparison, the Gilmore designs are DIY looking, even the ones from commercial builders.

So, I am hoping some of the more experienced members who actually own or home auditioned various amps for the HE90 can chime in and give us their take on the HEV90, KGSS, Blue Hawaii or other amps for driving HE90s.

Thanks much in advance for any information.

Aug 20, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 19
The hev90 dac is really crappy (it's like 1bit or something ) and not something your going to be using
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as the kgss /bh vs hev90:
I have heard the oprheus combo and felt that was the best headphone setup i've ever heard. I haven't heard the gilmores but there are a few people who have heard both, and all of any seem to perfer the hev90 over the gilmore for the he90.
I think the reason for this is kinda like why the rs-1 works well with the ra-1. The ra-1 is just an ok amp imo and doesn't sound to good with much other the rs-1... but with the rs-1 boy does it shine.

Aug 20, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 19
Heh, the only person on the board who really has enough experience with both amps to be a great resource is probably bozebuttons...

Aug 20, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chefguru
I think the reason for this is kinda like why the rs-1 works well with the ra-1. The ra-1 is just an ok amp imo and doesn't sound to good with much other the rs-1... but with the rs-1 boy does it shine.

I've also never heard anyone prefer the KGSS over the HEV90 for the HE90. There's supposed to be super magical synergy with the HE90 and HEV90, just like the RS-1/RA-1 combo.

Then again, the HEV90 is alot more expensive and harder to find. If the HE90 is the one and only headphone you're going to be using, then the HEV90 is seriously something to consider. It's hard to imagine you'd use something over the king daddy of all headphones!

Aug 20, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 19
The Dac in the HEV90 was designed in the early 90s,while actually not a bad sounding DAC it does show its age,compared to todays digital gear.

Some thoughts on the KGSS/Blackgated,HEV90,Singlepower 2 box amps.
I am using Jenalabs symphony XLR cables on the KGSS & singlepower amp.
Running both amps balanced from My mietner gear, The HEV90 is only single ended so I use my audioquest Amazon(Silver) cables with it.

The HEV90 & KGSS have been sitting in boxes since the last NY meet in June,
The singlepower amp has been the only amp I have been listening to since the meet,( haven't been listening to Headphones to much since then,too busy with other stuff).

I have owned the KGSS the longest almost 2 years.The KGSS sounds slightly better balanced so that is the way I run it. The KGSS is the most detailed amp of the 3,Its amazing what a good amplifier it is (thanks Kevin for sharing your design,Also Justin for building a quality amp,never a hiccup)
My only complaint with the KGSS/He90 combo is SOMETIMES it can sound thin ,Maybe software dependent? THE Jena cables helped out in this regard.
For the money the KGSS is the bargin in the bunch.
Overall I am very happy with the KGSS/ HE90 combo.I also use it with my O2s.

The BIG O combo HE90/HEV90 is the most ORGANIC (if thats the right word) sounding combo. The combo just draws you in,you just forget about the equipment which kind off makes it hard to review.(I never really liked trying to review gear as it takes away from the enjoyment of actually listening,seems like work). This pair was specifcally designed for each other & it is evident when you sit down & listen.

The SINGLEPOWER 2 Box, I have to say I mostly have been listening to the Stax O2s with this amp.The HE90s have been sitting in the boxes,they actually sound damn good with the amp,But I just can't seem to put the O2s away.This amp also has the ability to draw you in,making it a waste of time trying to analyze it(must be the Tubes).I have been trying differant tube combos,Uses 4 el34 output tubes & 4 12AX7or 12at7,or 12au7 input tubes of your choice.I have found Singlepower amps take on the sound of the tubes used,this amp is no differant which gives you the option of tailoring the sound of the amp to what fits your preferances with only Tube selection changes,so you can tailor it to the headphone you are using.
I am sending the singlepower amp back to Mikhail so he can tweak it to the new power supply,he built for it with Blackgates & plitron transformers( not ready in time for the last NY meet),the standard power supply sounds damn good,but I had origionally ordered the blackgated one(Can't leave well enough alone
tongue.gif
)
also to adjust the attenuation of the volume control so it doesn't have to be turned up as much(Not really a problem ,About the same as The KGSS,I just want it changed),Also to be silkscreened.This amp is a CONTENDER & it is currently available.

Next Staurday I will be dragging out all 3 amps for direct comparisons.
I also will also check out the O2s on the HEV90 as I bought an adapter from Moon Audio.Also may have a HE60 as well to try with the HEV90.

Aug 21, 2005 at 12:32 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
One question Boze, how is the bass response with the different amplfiers?

The HEV90 seems to have the best bass of the 3 amps,but the others are not lacking.

One amp that some of the Lucky 18 may also want to consider is the Stax 007t amp,mates better with the Senn phones then the OmegaII & is a cheaper
alternative then the other amps if you want to dabble in Tubes.

Aug 21, 2005 at 12:54 AM Post #11 of 19
I don't like answers that don't seem to have one clear winner.
biggrin.gif

looking forward to your comparison.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons
Also may have a HE60 as well to try with the HEV90.

Will you be able to try the HE60 with the Singlepower amp?
Impressions on that combo will be much appreciated!
Thank you
580smile.gif

Hugo

Aug 21, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
I don't like answers that don't seem to have one clear winner.
biggrin.gif

looking forward to your comparison.
smily_headphones1.gif

And The WINNER IS..................................

The Dared 300b monoblocks driving the Stax SRXMKIII (Just kidding but actually a great combo).
Stay Tuned for conclusion Next week
tongue.gif

Aug 21, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoFreire
Will you be able to try the HE60 with the Singlepower amp?
Impressions on that combo will be much appreciated!
Thank you
580smile.gif

Hugo

I should have the adapters to try the HE60s on all the amps.

Aug 21, 2005 at 3:33 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons
I should have the adapters to try the HE60s on all the amps.

Great! I can't wait to read your impressions
smily_headphones1.gif

My biggest goal right now is to pair a HE60 and a Singlepower electrostatic amp

Hugo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back