JM Audio Editions XTC Headphones
Apr 18, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #1,081 of 1,127
I have the 2.5 and the GH50 JM MKII. The GH is such a special beast in many ways. You really need to listen to it to see if you like it or not. It’s usually you love it or hate it. With the 2.5 it also depends on how you tune it. John can probably boost the bass to GH levels for example. One thing with the GH it is even more system dependent than other HP’s in my experience. In my main system using a Burson 3X GT with Vivid V7 op-amps and a Bel Canto 3.7 the bass and attack becomes a little too much at times. However, in my second system with a Hegel HD30 DAC and Burson 3X GT with V7 Classic op-amps producing a more laid back, warm sound the GH’s sound glorious. That extra bass kick in this soundscape really brings the music alive.

Apr 18, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #1,082 of 1,127
The safe bet is the 2.5 - it will not disappoint and you can retune it as your system or taste changes.

I’m
The safe bet is the 2.5 - it will not disappoint and you can retune it as your system or taste changes.
His other closed back will have the same sound signature as the 2.5 given that the drivers are the same just at a little more intimate level so if $ is a concern that would be a great place to start.

I’m

His other closed back will have the same sound signature as the 2.5 given that the drivers are the same just at a little more intimate level so if $ is a concern that would be a great place to start.
My advise would be that the GH should be your second or third pair not your primary or only pair. They are not as versatile and flexible as the XTC’s. The options with the XTC’s are virtually limitless.

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #1,083 of 1,127
My advise would be that the GH should be your second or third pair not your primary or only pair. They are not as versatile and flexible as the XTC’s. The options with the XTC’s are virtually limitless.
you make a very good point there, appreciated.

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #1,084 of 1,127
Having previously owned the Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50 JM Edition (and then upgraded to Edition 2), the JMAE XTC-C 1.0, and now owning the JMAE XTC-C 2.5, I believe I can weigh in here on sonic impressions.

I greatly prefer speed, detail, transparency, spaciousness, and immediacy in my phones. I am not as enamored of a warm, dark, smooth, bass-prominent sound, which I quickly find to be fatiguing. So the GH50 JM and GH50 JM2 have much more of the latter sound, having titanic bass, especially the JM2. I once paired them with a tube amp and my problem was exacerbated, so I partially cured the problem by buying a faster-sounding Benchmark HPA4 amp, which I still have.

By contrast, the JMAE 1.0 and 2.5 have a more neutral sound, having more speed, detail, transparency, spaciousness, and deep and weighty bass only when called for. No, not the speed and detail of the better planar magnetic and ribbon driver phones, but great for a dynamic driver phone.

So you will have to decide on which phone to buy based on what we are saying about them and also on your budget. I believe the GH50 and JMAE 2.5 are similarly priced. IMO the 2.5 is the best closed-back dynamic driver phone I have heard.

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #1,085 of 1,127
It's interesting that new models are appearing on the headphone market, especially from such an authoritative figure as John Massaria. Their XTC-Closed model looks very high quality. I would like to hear more feedback on the sound. Thanks for the information and the link to the site.

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #1,086 of 1,127
It's interesting that new models are appearing on the headphone market, especially from such an authoritative figure as John Massaria. Their XTC-Closed model looks very high quality. I would like to hear more feedback on the sound. Thanks for the information and the link to the site.
Just go back in these messages. There are tons of posts with people sharing all sorts of feedback.

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #1,087 of 1,127
If you decide to order one of the JMAE models I would suggest speaking to John to determine the type of driver and tuning so that you can achieve your optimal sound. If you do receive a pair after this you can then send them back for retuning should you not be enamored of their sound. I have ordered two pairs of XTC-Cs myself and haven't needed to send them back for retuning but feel fortunate that this option is there for the future.

Apr 19, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #1,088 of 1,127
If you decide to order one of the JMAE models I would suggest speaking to John to determine the type of driver and tuning so that you can achieve your optimal sound. If you do receive a pair after this you can then send them back for retuning should you not be enamored of their sound. I have ordered two pairs of XTC-Cs myself and haven't needed to send them back for retuning but feel fortunate that this option is there for the future.
100% agree with these comments. Music is an experience that is personal. No one can tell you what sounds good to you. You can be in a room with people clapping to music and see some folks clapping off beat or singing out of key. A musician can be playing sharp or flat and it can go unrecognized because the person listening is still enjoying the music.... John is doing something totally unique by tuning a headphone to your preference. A headphone that might be perceived as bright to an under 50 year old may need that extra treble energy to someone over 50 or 60 years old (if they can even hear it). Couple that with your equipment and you can build a system that is very enjoyable to you.
Some people prefer a linear frequency response, while some don't mind an uneven response curve.
You can try a natively Harman tuned headphone to rule out bad EQ. However, some say that the Harman curve is fine for average listeners but not for audiophiles. Others say that the Harman curve sounds “artificial” "dull" or “boring. So you take less of a chance buying a JM headphone as the designer is willing to shape the "sound" to your preference. My XTC had an aggressive S or sibilance which generally occurs around 3-7k Hz and female sibilance is typically 5-9k Hz and John was able to tame it without destroying the other technical aspects of the XTC. Excellent dollar value and simply excellent sounding phones.

Apr 19, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #1,089 of 1,127
Could someone please help me with something? I know it is a bit off the subject here to some extent but who would be responsible for a package stuck in Customs? The seller or the buyer? Who would have to deal with the situation even when the seller tells you " I have no control over customs?". Anyone here have experience in the subject please? Thank you

Apr 19, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #1,090 of 1,127
My experience has been that the responsible party is the buyer whose country of residence to which the product is shipped including any applicable fees or taxes.

Apr 19, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #1,093 of 1,127
How long have the phones been stuck in customs? You might see if you can get them released by contacting them. I am sure it is extremely frustrating knowing how nice these phones are and you are waiting for them with no control over their release.

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:21 PM Post #1,094 of 1,127
Thank you everyone for the answers. I am really in a situation where I have no control over this. It has been hold for 2 weeks now. Absolutely disgraceful these people think they can get stuff for free I don't know. I just don't trust gov people. I guess JM and I will never see this one of a kind again. I hope I am wrong and they can at least send it back to you @John Massaria. I will keep trying regardless.

Apr 20, 2024 at 3:29 AM Post #1,095 of 1,127
Could someone please help me with something? I know it is a bit off the subject here to some extent but who would be responsible for a package stuck in Customs? The seller or the buyer? Who would have to deal with the situation even when the seller tells you " I have no control over customs?". Anyone here have experience in the subject please? Thank you
Definitely in no way the seller's fault or responsibility for the customs of a certain country. But in no way the buyers fault either and that's where it's frustrating. Contact customs to see what issue is and how it can be resolved. I absolutely feel for you though!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Zhon
Back