Holo Audio Cyan 2 DAC
May 14, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #841 of 886
Is this the small version, the HS300? I thought the Cyan 2 will just fit with the HS400. I want to order a DDhifi rack as well, but currently I am considering the HS400, but it is not known when it will be back in stock and it really hard to find alternatives - and here the smaller HS300 comes into play :)
Yes! I can sell the upper one because it was unnecessary when I sold Red..

May 14, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #842 of 886
Arrived and hooked up :slight_smile:

1000006402.jpg

May 15, 2024 at 2:19 AM Post #844 of 886
i'm considering order this dac wanted to ask about its performance and if it have any lip sync issue with videos and gaming because i mainly will use it on my pc imaging also very important factor to me.
Yesterday, I have played few rounds and recognised nothing uncommon. Everything as it should be 😊

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #845 of 886
As I listen and develop my impressions around the Cyan 2 (I will say I have heard a more notable difference now than I did when I first got the Frerot and I am very pleased with it so far) I just want to give credit to Jo at Wildism. I was a bit unsure purchasing from them just due to the somewhat unorthodox methods contacting them through whatsapp and how they dealt with transfer of payment (I haven't dealt with international money transfers in this type of scenario previously) but Jo was extremely courteous, quick to respond to questions and thorough with details and explanations. At one point I had messaged him and then realized I had done so at 3 a.m. his time, and he responded within a matter of minutes (I apologized for being inconsiderate).

Despite being on back-order, it took slightly over a week for them to get new units and ship them and about 4 days to receive it after that. They converted it to 110v unit for me and all I had to do was purchase a new power cable on my end to accommodate. Something I would have done at some point anyway.

May 15, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #846 of 886
As I listen and develop my impressions around the Cyan 2 (I will say I have heard a more notable difference now than I did when I first got the Frerot and I am very pleased with it so far) I just want to give credit to Jo at Wildism. I was a bit unsure purchasing from them just due to the somewhat unorthodox methods contacting them through whatsapp and how they dealt with transfer of payment (I haven't dealt with international money transfers in this type of scenario previously) but Jo was extremely courteous, quick to respond to questions and thorough with details and explanations. At one point I had messaged him and then realized I had done so at 3 a.m. his time, and he responded within a matter of minutes (I apologized for being inconsiderate).

Despite being on back-order, it took slightly over a week for them to get new units and ship them and about 4 days to receive it after that. They converted it to 110v unit for me and all I had to do was purchase a new power cable on my end to accommodate. Something I would have done at some point anyway.
I actually paid with PayPal to Jo, if you don’t mind additional service charges

May 15, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #847 of 886
I actually paid with PayPal to Jo, if you don’t mind additional service charges
I used Wise (w/ e-transfer) and the process was actually very smooth and painless once I got into it

May 15, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #849 of 886
so in most important ways, its is not a 'ladder' as in PCM ladder. It is like the DSC2 I have sitting here with its resistor 'ladder' of equal weighting fed by shift register. An FIR filter to put it simply.

Where I am trying to understand the Cyan is the 8 by 8 architecture.

I am assuming they are applying their proprietary tech that linearizes the R2R in some way to the DSD filter.

So the Cyan would seem to be fundamentally an 8 element system?
Cyan 2 uses something called a "vector step resistor network" to get better performance out of less resistors. I'm not familiar with the details of how that works, I just know the name.

Also I haven't seen it mentioned here yet but HQPlayer added a new "correction" feature with custom improvements for specific DACs including Cyan 2. Can enable it at the bottom of the Matrix Pipeline menu. I don't think jussi has explained what exactly he's correcting here but he says it improves performance. Curious to hear what everyone thinks of it.

May 15, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #850 of 886
Cyan 2 uses something called a "vector step resistor network" to get better performance out of less resistors. I'm not familiar with the details of how that works, I just know the name.

Also I haven't seen it mentioned here yet but HQPlayer added a new "correction" feature with custom improvements for specific DACs including Cyan 2. Can enable it at the bottom of the Matrix Pipeline menu. I don't think jussi has explained what exactly he's correcting here but he says it improves performance. Curious to hear what everyone thinks of it.
I could be wrong. But the correction to me is most apparent in DSD512, it was used to be not as clean, less forward compared to DSD256. With the correction, noise floor is much closer to DSD256. I am not sure how it is possible but with the correction, bass seems to hit a bit harder as well. I used to feel the Cyan 2 does not hit as hard compared to the ifi Pro. With the Cyan 2, I had to go in audiolense and increase bass peak at 35hz in my target curve by 1 to 2 db compared to the ifi Pro. With the correction, there is more slam that I have now gone back to my original convolution filter...

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #851 of 886

I am not sure if the break in period is similar to the Spring 3, but if it is you will most likely hear improvement over the first few hundred hours. My Spring 3 definitely changed a reasonable amount & has every thing settled I noticed I could increase volume on my headphones without any fatigue setting in. The sound stage also noticeably increased. Happy listening

May 15, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #853 of 886
A couple months ago I basically decided my next DAC purchase/upgrade would be the eventual Schiit Gungnir 2 (mulitbit, which will come later, DS version release initially I think), but gotta say, the Cyan 2 is making me a bit itchy, LOL. This hobby man...

May 15, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #854 of 886

Users who are viewing this thread

Back