High End Cables Thread (digital, analog, power)
Aug 22, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #16 of 928
List of custom cable providers would be useful, especially for headphones and IEMs...

Sep 30, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #17 of 928
20201001_061329.jpg20201001_061354.jpg20201001_061424.jpg

Posted the following on another thread. Did some quick a/b comparisons between the FTA Callisto usb and the Sablon 2020 usb.

The cables were used between the sotm sms-200ultra neo and innuos phoenix; this seemed to be where the most perceptible differences were heard. I did not hear very much difference when using the cables between innuos phoenix and singxer su-6 ddc.

I let the Sablon run in over the past 2 to 3 days. I assume the previous owner had used it for a while too. Its a pretty nice looking double cord style cable.

Long story short, I found that in my system, the FTA Callisto tops the Sablon 2020 usb.

The FTA has better controlled higher registry, fuller/thicker sounding vocals, and slightly better bass slam and sub bass. The Sablon has this glistening and crispness along the leading edge of vocals; seems nice and detailed at first, but gets a bit tiring after a while.

With Sablon, there was a point in the volume/volume knob, that when turned past, it got sibilant/harsh pretty quickly. There was more leeway with the FTA. Female vocals were more enjoyable on the FTA; there was this sensation of lusciousness and body, whereas it sounded a little thin on the Sablon.

I guess I am treble sensitive. I purposely chose to do the comparisons with the Susvara, which I find not a very forgiving headphone.

The Sablon has nice air and does sound very detailed though. Perhaps the overall sound is just not for me. FTA sounds more organic. Sablon seems a little bit more emphasised on highs. I suppose it would do well in a darker/warmer system looking for a bit of liveliness.

20201001_061501.jpg
20201001_061512.jpg
20201001_061519.jpg

I also did some quick a/b comparisons between the FTA ethernet and Sablon ethernet (between Uptone ER and sms-200 ultra neo). The Sablon ethernet is extremely well made. Nice connections, nice thick cable. Not very flexible though, and will not do very tight turns/bends.

It was close, differences were minimal/subtle (and possibly just in my mind), but in the end I also gave the edge to the FTA ethernet. It was easier to make the usb call than the ethernet one.

As usual, YMMV and system dependency etc etc.

Oct 23, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #18 of 928
Am running all FTA callisto usb and ethernet cables. I thought I had ended my cable journey, but then I read about Phasure's new Lush^3 usb cable. As usual with this hobby, curiosity got the better of me, and I ordered a short length to try out.

20201024_072210.jpg
20201024_072457.jpg

40cm length to use between the innuos phoenix and singxer su-6. I let it run in for a couple of days and then did some quick a/b testing.

Some differences between the lush^3 and fta usb are immediately apparent. Lush^3 highs are better controlled and less sharp sounding, with slightly rounded edges. There is a more enveloping bass, at the same time less focused centrally, and a bit less tight. Soundstage seems slightly wider. Small details in the music are easier to make out and separate from the rest of the song.

It feels like the entire sound spectrum has been shifted a little to the left of neutral. Harsh sounding songs are a lot easier to listen to. However this is at the expense of some top end clarity and air which were better with the FTA. Also some songs with low bass sounded more detailed and textured with the FTA, although lesser in amount/slam.

Am a bit conflicted now. I like to run full looms of cables, and this lush^3 is indeed quite pleasant sounding, especially with headphones like the susvara which does welcome some top end blunting and added warmth/low end. So now I have to think whether I'm happy with the sound, or bite the bullet and order more cables to complete the full loom and see what sound I get from that.

20201024_072242.jpg
20201024_072225.jpg

These are the current hot favourite jumper combo being discussed in another forum.

What is certain is the lush^3 is a big improvement over the lush^2. Probably to do with the additional 4th layer of shielding. For the price, i think the lush^3 is a killer deal.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #19 of 928
@Roasty I just acquired the Sablon Audio USB and Ethernet. I also have a FTA Callisto USB here on audition. I plan to A/B the two USB cables but so far, I will be surprised if I like the Sablon over the Callisto. It just sings.

Oct 24, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #20 of 928
@Roasty I just acquired the Sablon Audio USB and Ethernet. I also have a FTA Callisto USB here on audition. I plan to A/B the two USB cables but so far, I will be surprised if I like the Sablon over the Callisto. It just sings.

Yep I did prefer the FTA cables over the Sablon, for both usb and ethernet. I even tried a combination of both brands, but always ended up liking just the FTA items in the system more.

Share your thoughts once you have the cables settled down!

Oct 24, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #21 of 928
What are you guys using for AC power cables? I'm about to get a shipment of LessLoss C-MARC Entropic Process cables sent to audition.

Oct 24, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #22 of 928
What are you guys using for AC power cables? I'm about to get a shipment of LessLoss C-MARC Entropic Process cables sent to audition.

I'm quite a fan of Pete's work at Triode Wire Labs. Recently acquired an Obsession cord, for my incoming WA33. Am running it in with the WA22 whilst waiting on the new amp. Rhodium plug and top end Furutech iec plug.

20201023_194342.jpg20201023_194356.jpg20201023_194416.jpg20201023_194532.jpg

I've not tried any offerings from LessLoss but very keen to hear what you think of them.

Oct 24, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #23 of 928
I'm quite a fan of Pete's work at Triode Wire Labs. Recently acquired an Obsession cord, for my incoming WA33. Am running it in with the WA22 whilst waiting on the new amp. Rhodium plug and top end Furutech iec plug.

20201023_194342.jpg20201023_194356.jpg20201023_194416.jpg20201023_194532.jpg

I've not tried any offerings from LessLoss but very keen to hear what you think of them.

What I love about Pete's work is the flexibility of the cables. Be it thick or thin, they are just as flexible as they come. It definitely helps since I do not have much space for stiff cables to move around. By the way, do you guys have any other cable brands in mind that make highly flexible power cables? Currently looking for an upgrade LOL

Oct 24, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #24 of 928
What I love about Pete's work is the flexibility of the cables. Be it thick or thin, they are just as flexible as they come. It definitely helps since I do not have much space for stiff cables to move around. By the way, do you guys have any other cable brands in mind that make highly flexible power cables? Currently looking for an upgrade LOL

I agree. They're super flexible and that makes it a lot easier to work with and route. I've only tried a few cable brands (audioquest, atlas, merlin, wireworld) but none have come close to the flexibility of Pete's cables. I have a Cerious Technologies Graphene Matrix power cord on the way, but if their XLR/RCA cables are anything to go by, I doubt the power cord will be flexible..

Oct 24, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #25 of 928
@Roasty I'll report back on the LessLoss power cables. I'm not familiar with the Cerious or Triode Wire Labs. Both looks like every nice offerings and reasonably priced. What are you using for your anolog ICs?

Oct 24, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #26 of 928
@JonathanKlein I'm also using Cerious Technologies xlr cables. I like them a lot, but they're really stiff and hard to route. They have a lot of glowing reviews on audiogon.

Oct 27, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #27 of 928

If you have the bandwidth.. I think you should give the Phasure Lush^3 usb a shot.

After running it in some more, I am very impressed. Using it between the innuos and singxer. I'm super close to getting a 1m length to use between sotm and innuos.

For the money (less than half the price of sablon and fta), they're really worth the try. Anyone on the fence to try a usb cable, go for it!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #28 of 928
@Roasty Completely agree. For the cost, it's a no brainer even if I end up liking the the other cables more. I'm also getting a full loom from from Triode Wire Labs. So many great reviews out there, plus it's nice that Pete takes the time to cook the cables before he sends them out. I also spoke to Robert at Cerious, he's offering an insane deal on 5 or more cables. Hard to pass up but the flexibility you guys are reporting has me concerned.

Oct 27, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #29 of 928
@Roasty The virtually unlimited jumper configurations on the Phasure stuff was a bit intimidating at first but there seems to be some good guidance from users on the other forum who already took the time and effort to explore the various options.

Oct 27, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #30 of 928
@JonathanKlein with regards to flexibility I would rate TWL at 9+ out of 10, and Cerious at 3. Cerious cables won't do tight bends well, and the lateral flexibility/rotation is poor too. I had a bit of a tough time routing them and getting the plug ends to align with the xlr ports on my devices. But they are really built solid and weigh a lot too, plus you can immediately tell a lot of workmanship and premium materials go into the cerious items.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back