HiFiMan Susvara
May 15, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #25,696 of 25,710
You might also be able to Op-Amp roll with the Burson to help alleviate the treble sensitivity. Just another possible and relatively cheap solution.
Thanks, thats a great idea, I have modified some of the opamps in it but I will try to change the combination to tame it.

May 15, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #25,697 of 25,710
Does anyone here struggle with siblance with the susvara? I wince occasionally while playing well mastered tracks and it is getting a little fatiguing. I am pretty treble sensitive and I was thinking the solution is either a tube amp like the envy or maybe trying the auteur pads to tame the treble.

Amp limitation and DAC limitation or poor synergy. Susvara on an well curated system has no glaring faults even if you put some poorly mastered pop tracks to it

May 15, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #25,698 of 25,710
I agree that is pretty neutral, I am pretty young compared to most people here so I wonder if that skews my hearing threshold for siblance. The merason dac is supposed to be a warmer neutral dac so it should be fine but it could be an issue. WA23 sounds like a good option besides the envy.

I initially used a cheaper and underpowered amp and it sounded very anemic but not siblant, the burson should have enough power for the susvara, I think its just that the ferrum stack leans to a warmer sound compared to the burson. Seems like a rockna or holo may could tame it out too.
+1 on the WA23; tube-y yet retains excellent dynamics and energy. I actually find the treble a bit dark on the WA23 when paired with the already-warm leaning Wavelight, so it could synergy very well with a brighter DAC/chain. Envy with stock tubes will sound brighter and perhaps more powerful in the bass (from my time with it at Canjam) vs the WA23.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #25,699 of 25,710
Amp limitation and DAC limitation or poor synergy. Susvara on an well curated system has no glaring faults even if you put some poorly mastered pop tracks to it
The susvara is definitely akin to a pane of glass, I think it falls to my amp, I'll try modifying it or just get an envy and be done with it.

+1 on the WA23; tube-y yet retains excellent dynamics and energy. I actually find the treble a bit dark on the WA23 when paired with the already-warm leaning Wavelight, so it could synergy very well with a brighter DAC/chain. Envy with stock tubes will sound brighter and perhaps more powerful in the bass (from my time with it at Canjam) vs the WA23.
The envy definitely sounds like the endgame for me when paired with a warmer dac.

May 15, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #25,700 of 25,710
When I demoed the Susvara on the Hugo TT2 + HeadAmp CFA3 prototype + some 3rd-party silver cable (not saying that it matters or not, just including it for completeness), I thought the Susvara did have some amount of momentary sibilance on transients. I don't recall which filter the TT2 was using, probably the default sharpest filter. It wasn't a constant sort of "ssss" all across the sound, but on some leading edges - certain vocals and cymbal/hi-hat hits - there would be a flash of sibilance right at the transient. Not enough to make me dislike the Susvara, but enough to be noticeable and occasionally distracting. But it also lent a greater degree of incisiveness to the sound. Perhaps a slightly smoother chain would make it not as distracting. I've also heard a pad-rolled Susvara using Dekoni velour earpads on a Schiit Yggdrasil + Mjolnir 3 (I think) stack and that one did not have such sibilance, though pad rolling will also affect other parts of the sound.

May 15, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #25,701 of 25,710
When I demoed the Susvara on the Hugo TT2 + HeadAmp CFA3 prototype + some 3rd-party silver cable (not saying that it matters or not, just including it for completeness), I thought the Susvara did have some amount of momentary sibilance on transients. I don't recall which filter the TT2 was using, probably the default sharpest filter. It wasn't a constant sort of "ssss" all across the sound, but on some leading edges - certain vocals and cymbal/hi-hat hits - there would be a flash of sibilance right at the transient. Not enough to make me dislike the Susvara, but enough to be noticeable and occasionally distracting. But it also lent a greater degree of incisiveness to the sound. Perhaps a slightly smoother chain would make it not as distracting. I've also heard a pad-rolled Susvara using Dekoni velour earpads on a Schiit Yggdrasil + Mjolnir 3 (I think) stack and that one did not have such sibilance, though pad rolling will also affect other parts of the sound.
I think some pad rolling can help, I find that my ears are pressed up against the driver because the stock pads are not deep enough, having big ears and head makes it harder to find the right depth.

May 15, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #25,702 of 25,710
I'm listening to Susvara on a Holo Stack and I find there's no sibilance whatsoever, fwiw.

May 15, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #25,703 of 25,710

Not the best DAC and amp synergy in that case. Yggdrasil is definitely a lot more forgiving of sibilance than the hyper incisive TT2 though so any sibilance will show up from Susvara in that case

May 15, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #25,704 of 25,710
Here’s my current configuration:

Isotek EVO3 Aquarius with EVO3 Premier Power cable -> 2013 27” iMac -> Moon Audio Black Dragon USB Cable -> PLiXiR Statement BDC Dual Linear Power Supply 15V/6A/DC 2.5 with DH Labs Corona - Chord M-Scaler -> Wave High Fidelity Storm Reference Oyaide Dual BNC Cables -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Danacable Sapphire Reference Mk.2 RCA Interconnect Cables -> Riviera AIC-10 with Telefunken G73-R Black Coated NOS Tubes & DH Labs Red Wave -> Danacable Lazuli Nirvana Adapter with Spades -> Danacable Lazuli Nirvana -> Hifiman Susvara

There is not a hint of sibilance. Sounds wonderful. But still can’t wait until my Playback Designs MPD-8 arrives.

May 15, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #25,705 of 25,710
Here’s my current configuration:

Isotek EVO3 Aquarius with EVO3 Premier Power cable -> 2013 27” iMac -> Moon Audio Black Dragon USB Cable -> PLiXiR Statement BDC Dual Linear Power Supply 15V/6A/DC 2.5 with DH Labs Corona - Chord M-Scaler -> Wave High Fidelity Storm Reference Oyaide Dual BNC Cables -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Danacable Sapphire Reference Mk.2 RCA Interconnect Cables -> Riviera AIC-10 with Telefunken G73-R Black Coated NOS Tubes & DH Labs Red Wave -> Danacable Lazuli Nirvana Adapter with Spades -> Danacable Lazuli Nirvana -> Hifiman Susvara

There is not a hint of sibilance. Sounds wonderful. But still can’t wait until my Playback Designs MPD-8 arrives.
OOoo very nice your getting a Playback Design MPD-8 :heart_eyes:

May 15, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #25,706 of 25,710
Does anyone here struggle with siblance with the susvara? I wince occasionally while playing well mastered tracks and it is getting a little fatiguing. I am pretty treble sensitive and I was thinking the solution is either a tube amp like the envy or maybe trying the auteur pads to tame the treble.
I have the GT too and i dont hear sibilance. Its not a warm sound, the gt is very neutral like the susvaras. Arya were fatiguing without eq, but i have zero fatigue with susvara. I never use eq now. Do you use the stock cable? I think it works well in the tame of the highs. With my meze cable the sound is a little harsh. And if you use the non balanced output the sound will be warmer but you will lose a lot of soundstage. But you can try.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #25,707 of 25,710
Who needs more than 12Khz anyway? - Let it decay ....headphones

May 15, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #25,708 of 25,710
I know this thread isn't for music sharing, but I can't help myself. This album sounds spectacular on Susvara - it is flawlessly recorded and mastered, and coupled with Susvara's magic, it really sounds like you're onstage in the middle of a live performance. :beyersmile:

1715814812691.png

May 15, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #25,710 of 25,710
FYI; Believe (according to Chord Specs) that my Chord DAVE outputs max approx. 4.4V via the unbalanced RCA's to my EF1000 and believe(according to CH Precision Specs) my CH P1 Phono Stage outputs max approx. 4.0V via the unbalanced RCA's to my EF1000 !
Thanks,just picked up the new HIFIman prelude. It is quite surprising amp. Sounds really good with susvara. My Lina DAC works at both 6V and a bit less. Tribal is mostly fine on 98% track, occasionally I get one where I lower the Volts for the track but overall I am enjoying this amp. Like the EF1000 better however. How do you like the Rockne Wave?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back