Help me choose components for my high-$$$$ system
Aug 25, 2006 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 108

BrianS

500+ Head-Fier
I plan on seriously upgrading and replacing my current headphone system soon once I have my own place to live. I want a singlepower amp, either the sds-xlr or es-1 and am currently learning towards electrostats namely the omega 2. I have not ruled out a dynamic system yet as new phones are always being introduced and it gives more variety and room to change.
I think a max budget of 10k for source and 10k for amp should be good for this system if not more money towards an amp and less for the source. This should leave money for tweaks mentioned below, assume total budget of 25k or less. I cannot decide between the following configurations. Any input will be appreciated.

amps:
singlepower sds-xlr
singlepower es-1
or even a singlepower ss (how much?)

sources:
apl dac/transport 7k
apl denon 3910 5.5k (discontinued?)
ayre c5xe 6k
used emm labs combo dcc2/cdsd 9k
used esoteric x-01 limited 8k
esoteric x-03 se 7k
gnsc modded ra opus 21 5k
edit: i should consider a used meridian 808 as it plays cd/rw and mp3 as well

Phones:
hd650 balanced
black dragon balanced gs1000
stax omega2

I would like to leave some money for cables, a rack, isolation, psaudio p500, shipping, and more importantly, TUBES. I think the esoteric, the emm, or the ayre are good investments because they are upgradeable and the ayre does play almost every disc. I will audition as much as possible but still appreciate opinions. If you have either of these amps what options did you get? PM me or post here. What was the total cost of your preferred tube setup for the above mentioned amps?

My sound/preference:
Detailed, airy, impact good but not necessary, textured, weighty, with good soundstage, imaging, and separation. I like to focus on a certain beat or sound in a song as I have noticed is easier with electrostats. If it can be done in a high-end dynamic system let me know. Comfort is a requirement (i think hd650 do not clamp hard if stretched out and are very very comfortable). I will hunt for a used player but do not feel like waiting around for a discontinued and rare headphone (ie, he90 he60, l3000, r10, 010).

I am leaning towards an x-01 limited and es-1 with omega2.

Thanks a bunch,
Brian

edit: typo and addition to source list

Aug 25, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #2 of 108
I can guarantee that half of your equation will be the ES-1 + OII! Your preferences seem to fit the combo like a glove.

You can max out the ES-1 for that price..

Aug 25, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 108
GET the ES-1 NOW!! mikhail is building 3 at the moment and i see no reasons why he wont give a generous discount to build a 4th one at the same time. Saves quite some work

Aug 25, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 108
i agree, the ES-1/OII combo is unbeatable... combine that with the esoteric source and all you need are some cables.

Aug 25, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 108
Thanks for suggestions guys but like I said, it will be awhile (1-2 semesters)before I have my own place to put this expensive setup. Planning ahead is part of the fun though definitely.

I am also interested in what tubes you es-1 guys have/will have and the options you got. PM me if needed.

It does sound like I am an electrostatic guy. It is an exciting time.

Thanks
Brian

Aug 25, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #6 of 108
Before you go all out with your amp, I'd probably allocate around 2000 for tubes, especially if you want some of the more well known NOS tubes.

Aug 25, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #7 of 108
Just a thought regarding sources...I've heard good things about Reference Audio Mods' Esoteric work. They offer packages for both the DV and XO/UX series, and doing something like a DV-60/UX-3 plus mods instead of the UX-1 might make more sense. I'm looking toward Esoteric for my final source upgrade, as I think they're the best combination of everything (aesthetics, features/flexibility, sound). I have no experience, but its just another option to consider.

Aug 25, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #8 of 108
I also got word of APL's new denon 5910ci which is $3k for the player plus $6k for the mods and is supposed to compete with the best. Just another option.

$2000 for tubes? i had no idea. I'm assuming singlepower's SS amp is for dynamic phones then?
eggosmile.gif

I haven't really tuberolled with my mpx3 and I dont think I'll do much if any with the es-1. I just want to pick a tube set people recommend and stick to it and enjoy the music.

Thanks for the headsup guys

Aug 25, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #9 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianS
I also got word of APL's new denon 5910ci which is $3k for the player plus $6k for the mods and is supposed to compete with the best. Just another option.

$2000 for tubes? i had no idea. I'm assuming singlepower's SS amp is for dynamic phones then?
eggosmile.gif

I haven't really tuberolled with my mpx3 and I dont think I'll do much if any with the es-1. I just want to pick a tube set people recommend and stick to it and enjoy the music.

Thanks for the headsup guys

Honestly I tend to look at things from a more long term perspective. mainly becasue the tubes like the 5687s and the premium 6sn7s like the TS RPs, 6sn7ws, etc... are really going up in price. Given that in either case you're looking at a fairly large tube complement (with presumably a fair amount of NOS tubes), I'd advise settig aside a bare minimum of 1.5k for the tubes. Case and point, I just saw a quad of Tung Sol Round Plate 6sn7 tubes go for 700+ shipping. And with things like the 6sn7w metal base you're paying around 400 a pair so, I'd be prepared to allocate a fair amount to the tubes needed too. And one those 2 examples if you happen to like that tube I'd avise starting to buy them up because I don't see them coming down, just getting higher.

I mean you could pick a popular set of tubes and stay with that, but if they're ones that are truly popular, the prices of them may very well spike up. That's why I recmmended allocating so much money on tubes. It's more for the long term. Just look at it from a basic economics point of view. The supply of them is finite and shrinking, assuming that demand even stays the same, the price will go up becasue that demand is holding yet supply is shrinking. If you have an increase in demand, then the issue is even more severe.

Aug 25, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #10 of 108
I would buy ayt999's maxed out SDS-XLR that is for sale and use your 650/Zu balanced until a pr. of L3000 come up for sale. Then I would have them recabled XLR. The L3000 on the big Singlepower amps is to die for. Plus you won't have to wait for the build time, get an amp that is over the top build wise, and then throw in the source upgrade of your choice.
I have used many with the SDS-XLR, and the Audio Aero, and Cary really were nice with my SDS-XLR. I would go with either the Audio Aero Prestige sacd player (I have heard from a friend the redbook is even better than the Capitole MKII, and sacd is fantastic) or the Cary 306sacd.
This will be a great system. Plus you can always add the Qualia or something else down the road and have the detail and speed of the stats without having to go with two systems. Have fun, and good luck!
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 108
Honestly if you wanted a SDS XLR, I'd just buy one straight from the factory. The SDS XLRs have changed a fair bit since Alex's amp was made and I don't think he ever sent his back for an update.

Aug 25, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #12 of 108
thank you pfkman and tom those are good suggestions. going dynamic will indeed offer more phone choices. i will look into it

can anyone post or send me a pm of where you buy your tubes?

Aug 25, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #13 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianS
Thanks for suggestions guys but like I said, it will be awhile (1-2 semesters)before I have my own place to put this expensive setup. Planning ahead is part of the fun though definitely.

I am also interested in what tubes you es-1 guys have/will have and the options you got. PM me if needed.

It does sound like I am an electrostatic guy. It is an exciting time.

Thanks
Brian

Mikhail is a big GE fan. Ask him about tubes he will tell u ge is the best. $120 each

Aug 26, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #14 of 108
I'm with Tom - start with the biggest Singlepower SDS you can afford! Then, start collecting the "uber" dynamics until you find what you're looking for - each has got quite a very unique personality. I think the best are the R10, L3000, and Qualia; all very different.

BTW - if you still measure time in semesters, I can't imagine how the heck you're able to afford all this great stuff. I used $15 Sony fold-able sport headphones all though college
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #15 of 108
I'll comment a bit on your source question, if I was in your position I would get the upcoming apl dac/transport combination. I have enough confidence in APL to think it'll be an absolute killer source. If you could afford it there is always the APL modded UX-1
wink.gif

I have the GNSC reference modded Opus 21 and think it is an absolute killer source. I also own an APL Philips SACD1000 and the Opus 21 is a better machine. The APL has a warmer sound and is nearly perfect for vocals. That being said the modded Opus 21 is an overall better machine. It has fantastic detail retrieval and sounds as natural as I've heard from digital.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back