Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
May 5, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #12,301 of 12,308
If you like dark sounding headphones you can look into Audioquest Nightowl
Thanks for the recc, is not easy to find one and whatever I found on eBay used cost as much as getting a Bokeh used. Nothing around $600

May 5, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #12,302 of 12,308
Have you checked out Meze 99 Classics? I haven't heard them myself, but I know some people like them especially with harsh metal.
They went by my radar, the upper frequencies sure looks agreeable but the bass quality is what kept me away. Not sure if they can keep up with let’s say something like Ulcerate for example

May 16, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #12,303 of 12,308
good day everyone please advise headphones for melodic death metal in the budget of 300-500 dollars. and if an amplifier is needed for them, then please advise the options in the same budget. for now, I only have the Shanling M6 Ultra player

May 16, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #12,304 of 12,308
Ok so I went to the local store to demo some sets! Ended up trying out the Clear MG, the Clear MG Pro, the Celestee, the LCD-XC and the 1990 Pro (yeah spent a good hour or so there). My main takeaways:

Overall I preferred the MG Pro by a lot! Everyone is saying that they should sound exactly the same as the MG but personally I preferred it! The MG Pro felt like the MG with added punch and a small bass shelf that seemed to be missing from the MG. All of the demos were fed by Naim Uniti Atom and the same cable was used. So I don’t know, maybe the pads on one of the two sets were more worn? The difference was beyond placebo and it was evident with all of my favourite music (Wintersun, Parkway Drive, Dream Theater, Soen etc).

I preferred both of the Clears over the Celestee, which to my ears sounded very weird and boxy. I actually liked the 1990 more than the Celestee (considering the price) for metal but it lacked the body and intimacy of the Focals - sounded pretty clinical with metal and a little distant but with great detail.

Now, listening to the XC after the Focals was super weird for me. As an owner of the LCD-2C I know Audezes really need EQ and sound weird without, but I expected a warm signature with elevated bass. I felt it completely lacked low end punch and the upper mids/lower treble were a little piercing (with snare drums for example). It does sound like it wasn’t getting enough power from the Naim but I haven’t checked the Atom’s headphone specs. The detail retrieval however rivalled and even surpassed the Clears for some tracks.

Now a few questions:

1. Can anyone compare the LCD-XC with the LCD-2CB for rock/metal? I have an opportunity to get the 2CB at a good price but no way to demo it. How is the stock sound for metal? I don’t want to use EQ (other than a bass shelf) since I want to listen to analog sources as well.

2. Am I completely crazy in considering the HD800S? I cannot audition it and I have read the horror stories when they are used with metal and generally music with cymbals etc. But something attracts me to the HD800S as a complimentary set. Maybe because I also listen to some prog rock or stuff like Heilung and Loreena Mckennit and a little bit of jazz and it seems that they would shine with such music. But then again I don’t want them to be completely useless with metal, which is 80% of my listening. So what is the consensus here? Can they be used with metal (maybe EQ’d when used with my RME)?

3. I totally love my Sundaras for metal, I love the detail, separation, the openness, the way the snare drums snap and the (just right) amount of controlled bass that makes kick drums hit sharp and cut through the mix. Would you say that the HD800S would provide a similar kick if EQed between 50-120hz or is it just not possible?

4. I was also considering the 650 and the 660s2 as a budget purchase. I’ve read through the replies in this thread and some people swear by them and others can’t stand the Sennheiser veil or the lack of sub bass. Which of the two models would be more suitable for metal?

So to conclude I’m trying to decide whether to upgrade from my beloved Sundaras to the Clear MG Pro, get a “complimentary set” with the HD800s/650/660s2 (maybe with a tube amp purchase) or add a closed set to the collection (I currently don’t own one) with the LCD-2CB!

Thanks for reading !

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #12,305 of 12,308
Ok so I went to the local store to demo some sets! Ended up trying out the Clear MG, the Clear MG Pro, the Celestee, the LCD-XC and the 1990 Pro (yeah spent a good hour or so there. My main takeaways:

Overall I preferred the MG Pro by a lot! Everyone is saying that they should sound exactly the same as the MG but personally I preferred it! The MG Pro felt like the MG with added punch and a small bass shelf that seemed to be missing from the MG. All of the demos were fed by Naim Uniti Atom and the same cable was used. So I don’t know, maybe the pads on one of the two sets were more worn? The difference was beyond placebo and it was evident with all of my favourite music (Wintersun, Parkway Drive, Dream Theater, Soen etc).

I preferred both of the Clears over the Celestee, which to my ears sounded very weird and boxy. I actually liked the 1990 more than the Celestee (considering the price) for metal but they lacked the body and intimacy of the Focals - sounded pretty clinical with metal and a little distant but with great detail.

Now, listening to the XC after the Focals was super weird for me. As an owner of the LCD-2C I know Audezes really need EQ and sound weird without, but I expected a warm signature with elevated bass. I felt it completely lacked low end punch and the upper mids/lower treble were a little piercing (with snare drums for example). It does sound like it wasn’t getting enough power from the Naim but I haven’t checked the Atom’s headphone specs.

Now a few questions:

1. Can anyone compare the LCD-XC with the LCD-2CB for rock/metal? I have an opportunity to get the 2CB at a good price but no way to demo it. How is the stock sound for metal? I don’t want to use EQ (other than a bass shelf) since I want to listen to analog sources as well.

2. Am I completely crazy in considering the HD800S? I cannot audition it and I have read the horror stories when they are used with metal and generally music with cymbals etc. But something attracts me to the HD800S as a complimentary set. Maybe because I also listen to some prog rock or stuff like Heilung and Loreena Mckennit and a little bit of jazz and it seems that they would shine with such music. But then again I don’t want them to be completely useless with metal, which is 80% of my listening. So what is the consensus here? Can they be used with metal (maybe EQ’d when used with my RME)?

3. I totally love my Sundaras for metal, I love the detail, separation, the openness, the way the snare drums snap and the (just right) amount of controlled bass that makes kick drums hit sharp and controlled. Would you say that the HD800S would provide a similar kick if EQed between 50-120hz or is it just not possible?

4. I was also considering the 650 and the 660s2 as a budget purchase. I’ve read through the replies in this thread and some people swear by them and others can’t stand the Sennheiser veil or the lack of sub bass. Which of the two models would be more suitable for metal?

So to conclude I’m trying to decide whether to upgrade from my beloved Sundaras to the Clear MG Pro, get a “complimentary set” with the HD800s/650/660s2 (maybe with a tube amp purchase) or add a closed set to the collection (I currently don’t own one) with the LCD-2CB!

Thanks for reading !
Can’t talk about the other mentioned models but 660S2 is better than 650’s for metal. I’ve owned both and preferred the S2 because it is clearly an upgrade if you want better definition/separation and slightly wider staging and impact.
It is not as precise and snappy like a planar but very easy and smooth in a good way. I’d highly recommend you give a demo and see if you like such sound. From my memory, Mids are better than Sundara for sure and better note weight as well. Sundara excellent with speed and technicalities but S2 ain’t no slouch, it is more analogue like while Sundara sounds digital in comparison. This is just what I hear so you have to try it out yourself.

May 16, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #12,306 of 12,308
Can’t talk about the other mentioned models but 660S2 is better than 650’s for metal. I’ve owned both and preferred the S2 because it is clearly an upgrade if you want better definition/separation and slightly wider staging and impact.
It is not as precise and snappy like a planar but very easy and smooth in a good way. I’d highly recommend you give a demo and see if you like such sound. From my memory, Mids are better than Sundara for sure and better note weight as well. Sundara excellent with speed and technicalities but S2 ain’t no slouch, it is more analogue like while Sundara sounds digital in comparison. This is just what I hear so you have to try it out yourself.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah actually note weight is the only thing I feel the Sundara is missing - especially rhythm sections usually tend to sound thin (but very precise). Seems like the S2 might be a good match with analog sources then! I’ve heard they sound great with tube amps as well - I only have solid state in my collection so maybe getting the S2 with say a Valhalla 2 would be a nice upgrade.

Ok seems like I need to decide between the Clear MG Pro, LCD-2CB and 660S2.

Or go nuclear, get the HD800S and eat microwave noodles for a couple of months 😂

I hate that it’s so hard to demo Sennheisers in my country, how am I supposed to drop that amount of cash on such a divisive set as HD800S based off FR graphs and internet reports ?

May 16, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #12,308 of 12,308
Thanks for the reply! Yeah actually note weight is the only thing I feel the Sundara is missing - especially rhythm sections usually tend to sound thin (but very precise). Seems like the S2 might be a good match with analog sources then! I’ve heard they sound great with tube amps as well - I only have solid state in my collection so maybe getting the S2 with say a Valhalla 2 would be a nice upgrade.

Ok seems like I need to decide between the Clear MG Pro, LCD-2CB and 660S2.

Or go nuclear, get the HD800S and eat microwave noodles for a couple of months 😂

I hate that it’s so hard to demo Sennheisers in my country, how am I supposed to drop that amount of cash on such a divisive set as HD800S based off FR graphs and internet reports ?
I have the S2 paired with Darkvoice tube amp, it is pretty much my end game open back setup. I know it kind of a cliche thing to say but there is nothing more I need sonically and they are pretty comfortable on my head.
S2 also works well with something as easily accessible as the ifi Zen Dac V2. The Xbass button does bring in some tasteful weight which I normally get from the tube amp.
The best pairing for HD6 series is of course tubes but it’s not the most convenient option compared to SS. I’ve heard good things about Nitsch x Schiit Magni Piety amps + HD6 series pairing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back