Grado Fan Club!
May 16, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #65,716 of 65,934
Question: All I really have for sources are a few portable DACs, mostly iBassos, they have different outputs but they all have a 3.5mm. I want to try a Schiit amp but the inputs, at least on the more affordable ones, tend to only be RCA. Is there a decent splitter cable that goes 3.5 male output to RCA inputs? Would it be worth trying? Also, I would need something with 6.5 and 4.4 phone outputs. I'm happily enough doing this with an ifi zen at the moment, it has a 3.5 input, I'm using a 3.5 to 3.5 male-to-male Mogami Gold cable, it has 6.5 and 4.4 outputs, not complaints. But it's Schiit Schiit Schiiit aound here and I have some serious Grados. Thanks.

May 16, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #65,717 of 65,934
Question: All I really have for sources are a few portable DACs, mostly iBassos, they have different outputs but they all have a 3.5mm. I want to try a Schiit amp but the inputs, at least on the more affordable ones, tend to only be RCA. Is there a decent splitter cable that goes 3.5 male output to RCA inputs? Would it be worth trying? Also, I would need something with 6.5 and 4.4 phone outputs. I'm happily enough doing this with an ifi zen at the moment, it has a 3.5 input, I'm using a 3.5 to 3.5 male-to-male Mogami Gold cable, it has 6.5 and 4.4 outputs, not complaints. But it's Schiit Schiit Schiiit aound here and I have some serious Grados. Thanks.
Upon reflection, I can do without the 4.4. It's kind of a drag, but it's only for my 860s, which of course comes with a 6.5 cable. The real thing is plugging the portable DAC into the RCAs, whether or not there would be sufficient signal. I actually think Mogami makes the appropriate cable anyway. And then I guess the next question is which would be the cheapest Schitt amp I could get away with that would make a difference over the ifi. In addition to the 800s, among other Grados I'd need to drive a 3000x and an HF2. Thanks again.

May 17, 2024 at 3:44 AM Post #65,718 of 65,934
Adapter cables from 3.5mm output to RCA input should be rather easy to find actually. If your DAP supports a line out function all the better.

I’d stay away from adapters from 4.4mm to RCA, could ruin your DAPs output stages. For balanced your amp should have XLR inputs.

May 17, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #65,720 of 65,934
Question for those who are using the Schiit Lyr+ as their Grado amp. How fine-tuned is the remote volume control? Are the increments small enough so you can make fine adjustments to the volume or do the steps make big changes? I'm primarily using a Vali 3 which I think is a very good match but having a listening seat away from the amp plus being lazy, I was wondering about an amp that has a remote, like the Lyr+. Also, if anyone has experience with the two amps, I'd appreciate any thoughts on that. Thanks!

May 17, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #65,721 of 65,934
How fine-tuned is the remote volume control? Are the increments small enough so you can make fine adjustments to the volume or do the steps make big changes?
There are 64 steps in the volume control. I believe this is 1.25 dB per step, and that's what it sounds like listening to it. The steps are small, but definitely noticeable. You might want to play around with a software volume control set up for 1.25 dB steps to make sure it'll work for you.

It's easy to get a single-click adjustment by turning the knob. It took me a few months to get the muscle memory to make small changes with the remote control. Early on, I would usually get two clicks when using the remote. After some practice, I can get one click about 70% of the time now. Getting a one-click adjustment with the remote is much more likely with the Lyr+ remote than with Freya+, but that's mainly because Freya+ has twice as many steps on the same sort of pot. I rarely succeed at getting a one-click remote adjustment with the Freya+.

I know they made some improvements to the (very similar) remote control system in Kara, specifically to make one-click remote adjustments more likely. I don't know if they've made any plans to backport those improvements to newer Lyr+ units, but I recall that in the big Schiit thread Jason ruled out applying the firmware change to already-existing Lyr+ units in the field.

May 17, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #65,722 of 65,934
Question for those who are using the Schiit Lyr+ as their Grado amp. How fine-tuned is the remote volume control? Are the increments small enough so you can make fine adjustments to the volume or do the steps make big changes? I'm primarily using a Vali 3 which I think is a very good match but having a listening seat away from the amp plus being lazy, I was wondering about an amp that has a remote, like the Lyr+. Also, if anyone has experience with the two amps, I'd appreciate any thoughts on that. Thanks!
Yes, I have a Lyr+ that I use for my Grados. There is fine enough control on the remote to make gradual adjustments to volume.

May 18, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #65,723 of 65,934
Just picked these up…..I just couldn’t let them pass me by 😆

IMG_7286.jpeg

May 18, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #65,724 of 65,934
Today I had a short opportunity to talk to the person who took that photo… yes, there is something in development, but it’s not ready yet. No timeframe either — as expected :wink:
And no, there won’t be a Cardas cable included. Which I’d see as a positive, given how those are done…

I also mentioned that I’m „down to 5 Grados“, and John replied with „So few? What are you waiting for?“ I guess I’ll have to stock up…
I believe you spoke to me, my brother John wasn't there. I'm expecting you to add to that Grado inventory...

May 18, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #65,727 of 65,934
I believe you spoke to me, my brother John wasn't there. I'm expecting you to add to that Grado inventory...
Sorry for that misconception. Obviously we need to talk more often so I get my facts straight :wink: How about next year in Munich?

And while it’s a small collection each one was chosen very carefully. And is dearly loved.
From the current state GH2 / PS2000e / GS3000x / RS1x / PS500x I have a hard time deciding upon a useful extension that adds a different flavor… a small series PS2000x would be perfect, a GH5 maybe as well… out of the actually existing models I had a look at the GS1000x and the RS2x just yesterday. I think I'll take the GS1000x on loan next week.

Anyway, looking forward to the things to come.

May 18, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #65,728 of 65,934
Probably best to call Grado Labs or Foryourears. I have not heard of any instances. Good luck….,
I might have to. I think Grado would have more success by selling diy kits like Bottlehead.

May 19, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #65,730 of 65,934
Just throwing another line in the water to see if anybody has preferred GS3000x EQ settings, I'm trying to like them, burning them in, and I just find them kind of thin and, frankly, boring, which is a first. I've SCOURED google, it's infuriating. Meanwhile, enjoying the RS1x, RS2e, and others big-time, generally without eq at all (except maybe the Hemp.) Maybe I'm just a peasant. I mean I know I'm a peasant, but maybe that's just all I am. Anyway, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back