gear suggeestions
May 15, 2024 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

phantasmag0ria

New Head-Fier
hello

now that i got some IEMs, ( thie audio hype4 ) , i wanna buy some gear. preferably, i would like something that is a dac/amp and had ports that i can connect speakers too.

i been doing some research, watching some reviews, and the ones im looking at right now is

Mytek Liberty DAC II
ADI-2 DAC FS
burson funk or playmate 2 ( with upgraded opamps ) ( trying to figure out the difference )
Jotunheim 2 ( with multibit dac )
gershelli labs stack js2socket ( with ak4499 chip and burson v7 opamps ) and Archel 3 Pro amp.

or should i save a little more and get a Benchmark DAC3 (with hpa2 amp )

or if there are any better suggestions,

right now i have a sound blaster X7. so i need something better than that. i thought about upgrading the OPamps on it, but i don't want to risk messing it up, or run into cooling issues, this device is running almost 24 7 being used as a sound card for my pc. if i leave the shroud open, it will collect dust. looking to get a dedicated headphone amp later on after i get some nice over ear headphones, and i want to have a legit dac. the cheaper the better but if its really worth it, i can muster something up. i cant find too many reviews for the benchmark dac3. if anyone had some insight on that or the brand in general, that would be appreciated.

thank you

May 15, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 4
For IEMs it's all about low noise floor. On audiosciencereview Amir does a 50mv test and anything that hits a 95 or higher is worth shopping for.
The best I've ever heard 10ohm IEMs was a Topping E50 DAC on optical and a Topping L30 II amplifier. That pair also frees up the balanced out for powered speakers. At any price that is IEM Nirvana.

May 15, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #3 of 4
For IEMs it's all about low noise floor. On audiosciencereview Amir does a 50mv test and anything that hits a 95 or higher is worth shopping for.
The best I've ever heard 10ohm IEMs was a Topping E50 DAC on optical and a Topping L30 II amplifier. That pair also frees up the balanced out for powered speakers. At any price that is IEM Nirvana.
i will look into it. is the topping brand good quality stuff that will last a long time?

May 15, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 4
Welcome phantasmagoria! I am a newbie here too.
I haven't heard Gershelli or Burson, Topping is always measuring well in AudioScienceReview so you can trust it.
I have very good experience of Mytec and RME devices though, very solid structure and both built to last as you want.
From Benchmark I had a kind of "bad" experience from DAC 2, from a failed resistor connection that troubled me a lot
before I understand what was going on. Nothing severe, it was fixed and then was working perfectly, but I am still afraid.
That doesn't mean anything for Benchmark of course, maybe it was my bad luck.
I would say, even after the recommendations here (which you can trust), LISTEN before you buy if you can.
This is a subjective hobby. Cheers!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back