For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
May 16, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #20,626 of 21,020
VE SMG + HIBY R8 II

1000040247.jpg

May 16, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #20,627 of 21,020
That sivga veil - that many don't like and I (I guess we) love... How and why does it play that way?
Even the harshest music, metal, it plays out so serenely so charmingly well..(as you said candle light atmospheric) I wonder what's the secret sauce.. Can't be just the tuning..
It must be a pretty decent planar driver. It takes to EQ shockingly well, so it must have fairly low distortion and flat impedance. I haven't seen (or taken) measurements for either trait, so it's just a guess. Something about the combination of the "rain on a rooftop" microdetails of a good planar driver with its softer tuning. Most planars are usually tuned bright (to emphasize detail/resolution), but this goes the other direction. An unlikely combination that works wonders.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #20,628 of 21,020
VE SMG + HIBY R8 II

Love Lana's sultry voice. Dug out another oldy but a goody HP that I had stored away, Philips SHP9500:
20240516_134152.jpg

Like Lana's, I enjoy sultry female vocal talent and lately been listening to Sharon Van Etten

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #20,631 of 21,020
It must be a pretty decent planar driver. It takes to EQ shockingly well, so it must have fairly low distortion and flat impedance. I haven't seen (or taken) measurements for either trait, so it's just a guess. Something about the combination of the "rain on a rooftop" microdetails of a good planar driver with its softer tuning. Most planars are usually tuned bright (to emphasize detail/resolution), but this goes the other direction. An unlikely combination that works wonders.
True.. Never come across another iem (admittedly in my limited experience but still ...) that takes to EQ like this. Slap low filter randomly (as I do since I don't really know how to properly scientifically EQ) and it still takes it like a masochist champ. It spoiled me as other iems don't and sound weird with similar usage style.

But that original veil..I dunno what's happening there.. and I can perfectly understand why many don't like em. It does something different to sound. Anyway... Time to plug it now and go to sleep with apple music timer. Those cymbals shower like eargasm...

May 16, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #20,633 of 21,020
But that original veil..I dunno what's happening there.. and I can perfectly understand why many don't like em. It does something different to sound. Anyway... Time to plug it now and go to sleep with apple music timer. Those cymbals shower like eargasm...
I think the "veil" has everything to do with the very low, very short pinna hump. It's pretty straightforward to get rid of the veil with EQ, but then it just sounds like every other neutral IEM/headphone. I take a different approach. As I learned with my Symphonium Meteor, instead of bothering with EQ, you can just blast the volume high enough to bring the treble up to a comfortable listening level, which in turn massively boosts the mids (which is why you need to be so selective about which genres/recordings you match to them).

As you know, it's a really cool effect with the right recordings.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #20,636 of 21,020
1000004963.png

Evening session in the listening chair, just relaxing and hearing some nice music after a day at the office (with a few breaks in the sun 🌞)

Roger and HD600 was the obvious choice for this album, and the combination does not disappoint. So glad I went ahead and gor the HD600's, even though I was not a big fan of the 650. Since I got the 600's I haven't had much interest in considering how to change/expand the headphone collection. HE1000 and HD600 covers so much, I'm not really sure what else I would want to get.
HD800, a ZMF or the DC E3 all sounds like great and interesting headphones, but will they offer much that I don't already have? I'm not so sure anymore.

Anyway, great album from a classic group that I've only recently started to listen to. So much great music to explore 🎶

CCR - Pendulum
Fiio R7, Tor Audio Roger and HD600's.

May 16, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #20,638 of 21,020
Anyway, great album from a classic group that I've only recently started to listen to. So much great music to explore 🎶

CCR - Pendulum
Fiio R7, Tor Audio Roger and HD600's.
"CCR" is classic southern US Bayou country-style rock even though they were from California. Enjoyed their work every since the 1970's when my mom had some of their albums.
John Fogerty later went solo had some chart success. I enjoy his guitar skills too.

May 16, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #20,639 of 21,020
@Lindholdt On the harder rock side, what do you think of Volbeat from Denmark? I recently been listening to them.

The guitar solo around the 2 min mark on Loa's Crossroad blew me away...however the segue to bagpipes was kind of weird...

And Last Day Under the Sun was getting some airplay on US rock stations.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #20,640 of 21,020
Roon/Qobuz => Yggy + GS2 => Vali 3 => HD660S2

1715910921703.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back