Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 8, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #20,611 of 20,675
20230601_181745.jpg

The last time I listened to the Utopia was May of 2023 when I took that picture. Been busy lately exploring DAPs and IEMs. Neglect yes sure....forgotten definitely not :darthsmile:.

May 8, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #20,612 of 20,675
Guys, I have a serious issue with my Focal Utopia from 2017. They were purchased brand new back in 2017 and used them for a while, but then they were stored in their leather box. I just opened them up to try them out and am finding out there is no sound coming from the right side. Do you think this might be cable problem or a serious internal problem. Since these are way passed the original warranty. Any idea on how much these would cost to fix? Also how do you remove the cable on these things? Thanks for any guidance.
My guess is something wrong with the cable/Lemo connectors, not the driver itself.

May 8, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #20,614 of 20,675
Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #20,615 of 20,675
Guys, I have a serious issue with my Focal Utopia from 2017. They were purchased brand new back in 2017 and used them for a while, but then they were stored in their leather box. I just opened them up to try them out and am finding out there is no sound coming from the right side. Do you think this might be cable problem or a serious internal problem. Since these are way passed the original warranty. Any idea on how much these would cost to fix? Also how do you remove the cable on these things? Thanks for any guidance.
Did you check for the infamous pad gunk issue? That's what killed one of the drivers in my OG Utopia. Probably won't be cheap to fix if it's out of warranty, but you should probably confer with your dealer, and ask for leniency since they were in storage for a long time. Best of luck!

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 8:05 PM Post #20,616 of 20,675
That's what I am thinking also. best way to find out is to try another cable. Any cheap options I can purchase to try out and narrow the issue? Thanks
Why not try plugging in the side that's working to both sides one at a time?

May 8, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #20,617 of 20,675
My guess is something wrong with the cable/Lemo connectors, not the driver itself.
Begs the question how that would happen. Cables/connectors don't go faulty stored in a box - unless at the bottom of the sea.
Maybe the OP tried to force the Lemo connectors off damaging the cable? Though the force would be pretty extreme.
Checking the continuity of the cable with a multimeter would be a start.

May 8, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #20,618 of 20,675
Did you check for the infamous pad gunk issue?
Definitely worth checking. My 2016 pads deteriorated and caused a sticky mess under the pads, though it never migrated and caused a functional issue.
I would have thought you'd have to wear them to initiate the breakdown as I suspect heat was a factor. Maybe if stored in a warm climate/location?

May 8, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #20,619 of 20,675
Definitely worth checking. My 2016 pads deteriorated and caused a sticky mess under the pads, though it never migrated and caused a functional issue.
I would have thought you'd have to wear them to initiate the breakdown as I suspect heat was a factor. Maybe if stored in a warm climate/location?
I question your heat thesis, as I rarely used my Utopia after I acquired my Susvara (two years into ownership, and two years prior to failure), and I live in a temperate, moderate humidity climate (SF Bay Area). That said, heat could very well accelerate the seepage.

May 8, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #20,620 of 20,675
I question your heat thesis, as I rarely used my Utopia after I acquired my Susvara (two years into ownership, and two years prior to failure), and I live in a temperate, moderate humidity climate (SF Bay Area). That said, heat could very well accelerate the seepage.
I think I called it a suspicion not a thesis.:wink:
I also live in a temperate zone, but it gets hot in summer and that's when I noticed mine. Hence my suspicion that ambient temp and added body heat was a factor in the breakdown.
I've seen pictures (here somewhere) of the goo migrating to the drivers, but I don't think that's a common occurrence.
There is a commonality with your lack of use and the OP, were yours stored in the box?

May 8, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #20,621 of 20,675
I think I called it a suspicion not a thesis.:wink:
I also live in a temperate zone, but it gets hot in summer and that's when I noticed mine. Hence my suspicion that ambient temp and added body heat was a factor in the breakdown.
I've seen pictures (here somewhere) of the goo migrating to the drivers, but I don't think that's a common occurrence.
There is a commonality with your lack of use and the OP, were yours stored in the box?
No, mine weren't stored in the box.

There have been a fair number of reports of Utopia driver failure due to gunk here on Head-Fi, FYI.

May 9, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #20,622 of 20,675
Yeah, I've seen a few reported over the years.
I can see how gunk seepage could make the HP unserviceable - requiring driver replacement - but I'm wondering how that condition would lead to the electrical failure experienced by the OP?

May 9, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #20,623 of 20,675
Yeah, I've seen a few reported over the years.
I can see how gunk seepage could make the HP unserviceable - requiring driver replacement - but I'm wondering how that condition would lead to the electrical failure experienced by the OP?
The OP stated: "there is no sound coming from the right side". Gunk seepage may manifest as such, as it did in my case. Obviously, there are other possible causes of driver failure, but I was simply suggesting he start there. I didn't see anything posted that would rule out gunk seepage as a possible culprit, but maybe I missed something?

May 9, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #20,624 of 20,675
The OP stated: "there is no sound coming from the right side". Gunk seepage may manifest as such, as it did in my case. Obviously, there are other possible causes of driver failure, but I was simply suggesting he start there. I didn't see anything posted that would rule out gunk seepage as a possible culprit, but maybe I missed something?
Like I said I'm just wondering how gunk seepage could lead to electrical failure?
As it happens I still have my old gunky Utopia pads in plastic bags, so I checked with a ohm meter just now, sticking the probes into seeping gunk at close proximity. It measures open circuit. Being non conductive it shouldn't short anything out, so I'm wondering how it could cause a driver to fail electrically.
Can't see how it could seize the driver motor either since that is on the other side of the diaphragm/pad etc.

May 13, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #20,625 of 20,675
Does anyone has any experience with replacing Utopias frame ? Sounds crazy but I accidentally sat on right earcup...Seeing how much focal charges for new earpads I have little hope for a budget fix here...

Attachments

• 436731438_808788491181092_3632227481873913062_n.jpg
    436731438_808788491181092_3632227481873913062_n.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back