Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Feb 8, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #4,804 of 4,865
honestly just get a bathys instead.
When I auditioned the Bathys I was struck with the vast different to my Elegias (with custom pads)... much more bass heavy and veiled. Somewhat like the Radiance.

For ANC I went with the B&W PX8. Much more true to life sound.

The Elegias are very good value at present.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 11:03 PM Post #4,805 of 4,865
Bathys have the "Focal" sound. I wouldn't say they're a better choice over the Elegia. I would say the Bathys are a more robust headphone since it can be use more situations--3.5mm, USB, and bluetooh. The Elegia would require a some adapters to the latter two.

I think Elegia with a good portable DAC such as the FiiO BTR5 or BTR7 could serve one well if they wanted to dab in both wired and wireless hifi; it would probably be cheaper too.

I use the Bathys a lot but that's because the wire headphone cord would get in my way. I have used both the Elegia, Stellia, and Bathys with a BTR5.

Feb 28, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #4,806 of 4,865
Got the Elegia and tried it for a few days, not wow factor but kinda okey i guest. Been trying some EQ over the internet and find one that kinda okey for me, the detail was really clear but at first its feel like a bit sharp with stock cables (im using the qudelix 5k bluetooth) then I tried the after market balance 2.5mm cable (which i got for my hifiman se400he) and suddently everything not sharp anymore. I dont think cable could make such change, so maybe im kinda please for now wo swapping pad :)

Feb 28, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #4,807 of 4,865
Got the Elegia and tried it for a few days, not wow factor but kinda okey i guest. Been trying some EQ over the internet and find one that kinda okey for me, the detail was really clear but at first its feel like a bit sharp with stock cables (im using the qudelix 5k bluetooth) then I tried the after market balance 2.5mm cable (which i got for my hifiman se400he) and suddently everything not sharp anymore. I dont think cable could make such change, so maybe im kinda please for now wo swapping pad :)
If you bought new, I'd wait for the drivers to have some break-in time before tweaking them too much with EQ, cables, pads, etc.

Feb 28, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #4,808 of 4,865
If you bought new, I'd wait for the drivers to have some break-in time before tweaking them too much with EQ, cables, pads, etc.
+1

Or, at the very least, brain burn-in. You may just be used to sets with a different sound profile. It IS a bit hard to appreciate the subtleties of this set if you aren't used to it. My suggestion is to listen to them exclusively for about a week or more before making any changes or deciding that they aren't your "cup of tea".... Just my $.02. :)

Feb 28, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #4,809 of 4,865
+1

Or, at the very least, brain burn-in. You may just be used to sets with a different sound profile. It IS a bit hard to appreciate the subtleties of this set if you aren't used to it. My suggestion is to listen to them exclusively for about a week or more before making any changes or deciding that they aren't your "cup of tea".... Just my $.02. :)
For sure. IMO these benefit greatly from some serious EQ boosts to the treble region. The uncompensated FR on these is practically a straight line, so they are treble-light to the point of sounding outright muffled out of the box. I personally don't find them very "subtle" headphones at all, but everyone's hearing is different. I keep these around for the exact opposite reason: I find them incredibly lively (once EQ-ed), dynamic, and with excellent transient response for a closed back. For me, these paint with a broad brush, not a fine one.

And, yeah, I *always* give headphones at least 1-2 weeks of solid use before messing with pads, EQ, and so on. There's a necessary "getting to know each other" phase of the relationship. And as with any relationship, only later do I insist on changing them to suit me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 11:23 PM Post #4,810 of 4,865
I'm always experimenting with new ways of doing EQ. But recently after doing more research into HRTF (Head-Related Transfer Function), I've been trying my hand at EQing by ear. I'm using a combination of methods, but relying heavily on the "Test" feature in the Peace GUI.

Anyway, the headphones that have benefitted the most from all of this messing around are the Elegia. I didn't realize just how open and spacious these can sound, while holding onto their fantastic punchiness and fullness. The EQ curve I get doing it this way looks totally different from measurement-based EQ profiles. Doing EQ by ear also means you can do (slightly) different EQ for each channel, so imaging also improves. This is all susceptible to a lot more user-error of course, but I think the payoff is worth the additional effort.

All of this has me wondering if closed backs might be more susceptible to HRTF issues than open backs are? It would make things like AutoEQ profiles mostly useless for closed backs (just as they are for IEMs, and for a similar reason: individual ear physiology). So far, I'm really really liking the results, and so is my Elegia.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 7:39 AM Post #4,811 of 4,865
I'm always experimenting with new ways of doing EQ. But recently after doing more research into HRTF (Head-Related Transfer Function), I've been trying my hand at EQing by ear. I'm using a combination of methods, but relying heavily on the "Test" feature in the Peace GUI.

Anyway, the headphones that have benefitted the most from all of this messing around are the Elegia. I didn't realize just how open and spacious these can sound, while holding onto their fantastic punchiness and fullness. The EQ curve I get doing it this way looks totally different from measurement-based EQ profiles. Doing EQ by ear also means you can do (slightly) different EQ for each channel, so imaging also improves. This is all susceptible to a lot more user-error of course, but I think the payoff is worth the additional effort.

All of this has me wondering if closed backs might be more susceptible to HRTF issues than open backs are? It would make things like AutoEQ profiles mostly useless for closed backs (just as they are for IEMs, and for a similar reason: individual ear physiology). So far, I'm really really liking the results, and so is my Elegia.
Sorry but would you mind share yout EQ setting please? :) I dont really have knowledge for all these EQ so i just go around and try others while hoping i can get one that better :)

Mar 13, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #4,812 of 4,865

Interesting. Could you let us know which pads you are using. I found the Dekoni “custom” Stellia pads are a good match for my ears. My Audiogram shows a sharp dip in the 8KHz region, a sharp drop off after 10KHz, and nothing after 12 KHz. I think all reviewers should tell us their hearing deficiencies so we can relate to the advice offered. Golden ears are rare.

P.S. You can use sinegen.exe (on Windows) to do a quick hearing test and draw your own Audiogram by plotting the frequency vs. volume in Excel. It can also uncover differences on the left and right ears.
1710347702036.png

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #4,813 of 4,865

Very interesting. I do own a pair of Roland CS-10EM IEMs with embedded binaural microphones. By wearing these inside the cups of a full sized headphones like the Elegia, I could obtain a frequency response graph including my own HRTF. Isn't that the best starting point for EQing ?

Mar 13, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #4,814 of 4,865
Sorry but would you mind share yout EQ setting please? :) I dont really have knowledge for all these EQ so i just go around and try others while hoping i can get one that better :)
I learned a ton in the process (about my preferences, about how/why EQ "improves" headphones, etc), but I just can't get the transition between midrange and treble quite right. Because the Elegia has a recessed treble--almost flat relative to the midrange--boosting the treble isn't a straightforward process. Especially by ear. It got very technical and detailed and felt like I was designing a headphone driver, which I am woefully under-qualified to do. If you're looking for a good place to start, I very strongly recommend oratory1990's custom EQ profile(s).

tl;dr - I gave up and just went back to my old EQ profile.

Interesting. Could you let us know which pads you are using. I found the Dekoni “custom” Stellia pads are a good match for my ears. My Audiogram shows a sharp dip in the 8KHz region, a sharp drop off after 10KHz, and nothing after 12 KHz. I think all reviewers should tell us their hearing deficiencies so we can relate to the advice offered. Golden ears are rare.

P.S. You can use sinegen.exe (on Windows) to do a quick hearing test and draw your own Audiogram by plotting the frequency vs. volume in Excel. It can also uncover differences on the left and right ears.
That's something I've never tried. I've done some hearing test measurements, but it seemed really inaccurate to me. I'll check that out.

And, yeah, I also use the Dekoni Stellia ("Custom Series") pads. I've tried a few different pads with the Elegia, but so far, the Dekoni Stellia ones take it.

Very interesting. I do own a pair of Roland CS-10EM IEMs with embedded binaural microphones. By wearing these inside the cups of a full sized headphones like the Elegia, I could obtain a frequency response graph including my own HRTF. Isn't that the best starting point for EQing ?
I'm not familiar with those IEMs, but I'd have to imagine that the seal needed by the IEMs would negate the usefulness of the measurement for an over-ear headphone, since you need to also take into account the space enclosed between the headphone driver and the (sealed) IEM. But they might work great for getting a sense for how to EQ for other IEMs. Some folks use in-ear mics (no seal) in conjunction with preference targets to create custom EQs for over-ear headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #4,815 of 4,865
SINEGEN Audiogram
That's something I've never tried. I've done some hearing test measurements, but it seemed really inaccurate to me. I'll check that out.

NOTE: I suggested Sinegen.exe as a crude DIY way to test your hearing. If you suspect that you have hearing deficiencies, please consult a qualified Audiologist. However, my experience is that they don't test above 8KHz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back