Focal Elegia - what do you think?
May 13, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #4,861 of 4,865
ELEGIA TO GRADO HEADBAND REPLACEMENT

After five years of normal usage my headband finally broke. I have a big head so they were stretched a bit each time I put them on/off.

Here is my mod to substitute a Chinese "Grado like" headband
This kit came with a good assortment of screws, nuts, and washers.

In the first image you see where the plastic bit is broken.
You need a T6 Torx screwdriver. The screws are very tight, so I had to sharpen my Torx bit a little to get a good grip.
Make note of the left & right parts.
The driver is loose in the cup... don't drop it
Use a needle-nose pliers to pull the little pins out of the Focal hinge
Discard the springs... they are not essential to the fit.
Use a Dremel to grind a flat spot on the inside of the hinge holes to accommodate the self locking nuts.
Note the Left & Right yokes on the new headband. I got it wrong on the first attempt.

Use tape to hold the yokes in place when inserting the screws. I used a flat washer against the yoke and a rubber grommet next to the cup.

Give the cups a good cleaning out with a blower or canned air before final assembly.

The end result reminds me of my old Grados. The cups swivel freely. I have a large head and use the lowest setting on the yoke pins. Smaller heads may need "nuggets" on the headband. The fit is comfortable and the improvement in clamp force has brought out the bass that was lost when the Focal headband broke.

the 1.DSCF5144.jpg3.DSCF5148.jpg2.DSCF5169.jpg4.DSCF5154.jpg9.DSCF5158.jpg11.DSCF5159.jpg12.DSCF5168.jpg11.DSCF5159.jpg12.DSCF5168.jpg13.DSCF5209.jpg
nice, i might do the same sought of thing for my DT770 pro.

May 14, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #4,862 of 4,865

Just a follow up note... the Elegias no longer fit in the hard case.

May 15, 2024 at 6:10 AM Post #4,863 of 4,865

After five years of normal usage my headband finally broke. I have a big head so they were stretched a bit each time I put them on/off.

Here is my mod to substitute a Chinese "Grado like" headband
This kit came with a good assortment of screws, nuts, and washers.

In the first image you see where the plastic bit is broken.
You need a T6 Torx screwdriver. The screws are very tight, so I had to sharpen my Torx bit a little to get a good grip.
Make note of the left & right parts.
The driver is loose in the cup... don't drop it
Use a needle-nose pliers to pull the little pins out of the Focal hinge
Discard the springs... they are not essential to the fit.
Use a Dremel to grind a flat spot on the inside of the hinge holes to accommodate the self locking nuts.
Note the Left & Right yokes on the new headband. I got it wrong on the first attempt.

Use tape to hold the yokes in place when inserting the screws. I used a flat washer against the yoke and a rubber grommet next to the cup.

Give the cups a good cleaning out with a blower or canned air before final assembly.

The end result reminds me of my old Grados. The cups swivel freely. I have a large head and use the lowest setting on the yoke pins. Smaller heads may need "nuggets" on the headband. The fit is comfortable and the improvement in clamp force has brought out the bass that was lost when the Focal headband broke.

the 1.DSCF5144.jpg3.DSCF5148.jpg2.DSCF5169.jpg4.DSCF5154.jpg9.DSCF5158.jpg11.DSCF5159.jpg12.DSCF5168.jpg11.DSCF5159.jpg12.DSCF5168.jpg13.DSCF5209.jpg

how much do the elegia weights now?

May 15, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #4,864 of 4,865
how much do the elegia weights now?

"Grado" Mod = 413gm. Stock weight is 430gm.

I am feeling that the better fit has improved the overall tone. I have switched back to the stock pads (from the Dekoni Custom pads).

1715795075904.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back