FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
May 15, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #1,006 of 1,068
Completely agree. There's also a bit of artistry there in the layout where everything is in balance. Indeed, well thought out.

Congrats. I know the feeling of anticipation as my new gear is barely 3 months old; my new CD player not even a month yet. Nothing like the shine of new gear.

Good luck.
I too made a bunch of upgrades lately and have really been enjoying music lately. And movies.

May 15, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #1,008 of 1,068
Everyone (especially those with Unison input on say a Yggy) say that the URD sounds fantastic as a DDC but I'm like you and dont use CDs anymore so $1200 is too pricey for a DDC application. I could see Schiit doing one without the CD player and pricing it like $399 or so and I'd snap one up if they did. Hell, if they really want to do us a right (Schiit does this occasionally) it could be maybe even $299.
Uh, be aware they do make dedicated DDCs such as Denafrips Iris DDC which come in around $550 U.S. dollars.

And yes, it's worth every penny. I have one, and now wouldn't be without one. And they're not just for CDs, but for digital sources coming from USB sources such as streaming or digital music files coming from a PC.

The URD is unique in what it does in that it's a CD player with a built-in DDC. But standalone DDCs (Digitial to Digital Converters) are NOT unique, and can be found from companies like Denafrips, Singxer, Gustard, and probably others. The companies I list all sell DDCs in the sub $600-dollar market, Singxer SU-6 being $750.

May 15, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #1,009 of 1,068
The URD is unique in what it does in that it's a CD player with a built-in DDC. But standalone DDCs (Digitial to Digital Converters) are NOT unique, and can be found from companies like Denafrips, Singxer, Gustard, and probably others. The companies I list all sell DDCs in the sub $600-dollar market, Singxer SU-6 being $750.
But which one does sound the best? :) URD would cost in Europe 1600 and the others 600-700 Eur. Maybe URD will not affect the bass impact in such way Iris does, based on many reports.

Agree that URD is unique and that's good. Just similarly like for example Matrix is doing SPDIF3 as standalone DDC and then integrated into Element S streamer as well, why not give those options if the solution is basically already there. It only needs another generic Schiit box :), which I'm sure already exists as well.

May 15, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #1,010 of 1,068
Who/where did you get your gear from???

Tinker with cables and power cords. I'm run a Supra LoRad copper power cord on my Pontus and the bass tightens up.

Review this > thread before doing so.
I got the older versions secondhand here from Headfi Classifieds! Yes Vinshine definitely only ships 12th-1's now. Seller provided me a decent aftermarket hdmi for i2s connection too.

I'll definitely consider that Copper power cable, darker sig and tighter bass is what I'd love from the pontus.

My headphone and interconnecting xlr's are pretty neutral, just Apos cables, that might honestly be enough for me, I makes the chain easy.

I've been meaning to get to that thread, thank you, will definitely need it when I tinker with their firmware. Paired with an fun phone, and more fun M-Field, I think it'll pair better with the 12th-1 advancements and get the best of both worlds

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #1,011 of 1,068
But which one does sound the best? :) URD would cost in Europe 1600 and the others 600-700 Eur. Maybe URD will not affect the bass impact in such way Iris does, based on many reports.

Agree that URD is unique and that's good. Just similarly like for example Matrix is doing SPDIF3 as standalone DDC and then integrated into Element S streamer as well, why not give those options if the solution is basically already there. It only needs another generic Schiit box :), which I'm sure already exists as well.
Did you actually read my post before quoting and posting? Based on your reply, apparently not as it has zero to do with the point I was making.

May 15, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #1,012 of 1,068
Who/where did you get your gear from???
I got the older versions secondhand here from Headfi Classifieds! Yes Vinshine definitely only ships 12th-1's now. Seller provided me a decent aftermarket hdmi for i2s connection too.
Got it. That clarifies things now. Yeah, I use a Supra HDMI cable from the Iris to the Pontus via I2S as well. Also have the Supra Excalibur USB cable from PC to Iris.

LOL - I bought into the whole Supra line-up as shown > here :relaxed:

That said, I have what I have now, so I won't go chasing further for cables. That's an expensive, and wasteful rabbit hole. Now I have cables sitting in a box collecting dust; all in the pursuit of chasing after "better". I have a pair of $220 cables XLR cables collecting dust because a pair of $30-dollar cables bested them (on my setup).

I've been meaning to get to that thread, thank you, will definitely need it when I tinker with their firmware. Paired with an fun phone, and more fun M-Field, I think it'll pair better with the 12th-1 advancements and get the best of both worlds
Yeah, it's got some good info. I've not had to do any firmware updates as all my Denafrips gear came with the latest.

May 16, 2024 at 12:13 AM Post #1,013 of 1,068
Orders are open and I was able to get mine placed!

May 16, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #1,014 of 1,068
I find the Cyan 2 to be a fantastic DAC that punches way above its price range. Natural R2R sound and great imaging, but also with plenty of dynamics, clarity, energy, punch and bass slam. It is quite balanced though; while bass is super satisfying, it is relatively even. I do not know how much more mid-bass is emphasised on the Yggy, but of course it can be a synergy thing. :wink: Even though I am yet to hear a dissatisfying combo with the Cyan 2.
Yep, your impressions of the Cyan 2 convince me that this is going to be my next DAC.

May 16, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #1,015 of 1,068
For those interested, after today's experiment, my conclusion is Pontus II with 1.4 is just a better match to Mentor. It makes the details served by Mentor better shine.

May 19, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #1,016 of 1,068
While looking through the ventilation holes on top I noticed my board is probably black (not blue like on all the pictures). So took off the cover and it's indeed black.
No complaints here I like black :) it's just a bit surprising. Maybe those are the versions without dual-stack module.

However, black or blue, in person the internals of Mentor look even more impressive. Literally every component feels oversized and overengineered.
1716153025123.png

May 19, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #1,017 of 1,068
You might be right, mine has the module and is blue.

May 19, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #1,018 of 1,068
While looking through the ventilation holes on top I noticed my board is probably black (not blue like on all the pictures). So took off the cover and it's indeed black.
No complaints here I like black :) it's just a bit surprising. Maybe those are the versions without dual-stack module.

However, black or blue, in person the internals of Mentor look even more impressive. Literally every component feels oversized and overengineered.
1716153025123.png
How come your layout looks different from the image on the first page??? Do you have a sample model?

May 19, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #1,019 of 1,068
How come your layout looks different from the image on the first page??? Do you have a sample model?
It’s the same only the board is black instead of blue.

May 19, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #1,020 of 1,068

Looks the same to me besides the color of the board and the Module board and cabling (Right side of blue-board's pic)

image_2024-05-19_183557611.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back