FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
May 28, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #1,066 of 1,068
I believe the Mentor wasn’t built for speakers. Don’t they require a certain level of amperage to run?
True it's not meant to be preamp.. Anyway, I was in talks with Flux Labs and they saw no issue with operating it this way, assuming the Mentor is in low gain mode. They were helpful in this regard and gave me a lot of further insights.

I don't see any issue with operating Mentor in this mode with my setup. I might eventually try some Rothwell attenuations on power amp input to reduce the gain by 10db. It might help also with my regular preamp to get more working area with the volume knob.

May 28, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #1,067 of 1,068
True it's not meant to be preamp.. Anyway, I was in talks with Flux Labs and they saw no issue with operating it this way, assuming the Mentor is in low gain mode. They were helpful in this regard and gave me a lot of further insights.

I don't see any issue with operating Mentor in this mode with my setup. I might eventually try some Rothwell attenuations on power amp input to reduce the gain by 10db. It might help also with my regular preamp to get more working area with the volume knob.
Was there a specific reason for keeping it low gain? Is it because the power output of the Mentor is too high?

May 29, 2024 at 2:34 AM Post #1,068 of 1,068
Was there a specific reason for keeping it low gain? Is it because the power output of the Mentor is too high?
I sent to Flux specifications of my preamp and amp and they responded back with: "The Mentor is itself an amplifier with the same gain (in low gain mode) as your preamplifier", So that's why. I can't say if this is the case with every preamp, probably not, but I'm no expert here. I just know I have a match.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back