[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
May 15, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #3,692 of 3,712
Off-topic, but it’s available at AE (that’s where I got mine):
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOIDS9Y
They also have its new little brother:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mN1D8cO
That's great. Mine has an issue with "Wide Stage". It distorts completely at medium to high volumes. I don't think I would use such effect, but have to return it to the seller (local deal - used). Great to know they're available on AE, I was unable to find them. I will have to buy another one.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #3,693 of 3,712
Beyerdynamic Xelento. It's a great all rounder. Yet to find something that doesn't sound good with them.

I've got Plus4 used, seller bought it from AE, just had a look at AliExpress now and can't find any. I found their website, but don't think someone out of Taiwan can buy from there, but I may be wrong.
They're available in AE and TB. They look like a great deal. But, currently in my country epz tp50 looks like a better deal, cheaper with more features.

May 15, 2024 at 8:16 PM Post #3,694 of 3,712
May 15, 2024 at 8:16 PM Post #3,695 of 3,712
I heard that this can be powered solely from USB power? Does that mean I could just leave it plugged into my PC permanently and unless I turn it on it won't cause any wear to the components? I want something I can use occasionally on the go, but would mostly be used day to day with my PC. I had tried a KA13 but even without an iem plugged in got warm and always seemed active.

May 15, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #3,696 of 3,712
I heard that this can be powered solely from USB power? Does that mean I could just leave it plugged into my PC permanently and unless I turn it on it won't cause any wear to the components? I want something I can use occasionally on the go, but would mostly be used day to day with my PC. I had tried a KA13 but even without an iem plugged in got warm and always seemed active.
I usually use btr15 with pc using pc mode while charge it. It goes moderately warm too. They advertise some features about the battery protection. Ill count them on that promise. 😅

May 15, 2024 at 11:16 PM Post #3,697 of 3,712
I usually use btr15 with pc using pc mode while charge it. It goes moderately warm too. They advertise some features about the battery protection. Ill count them on that promise. 😅
I think many devices now have a desktop mode that tops up charging keeping it around 90% but I had seen some mention of actual battery bypass, I was hoping this might work for me to leave it plugged in for long periods of time when not in use (on).

May 16, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #3,699 of 3,712
May 17, 2024 at 7:07 AM Post #3,700 of 3,712
They're available in AE and TB. They look like a great deal. But, currently in my country epz tp50 looks like a better deal, cheaper with more features.
If it's sound quality that matters to you the most, the only two dongles that can be closer to Plus4 performance are FiiO KA17 and iBasso DC04 Pro. And I would have to listen to them to believe it. Plus4 is not in the same league of most sub 200€ dongles, including tp50. I don't feel I lose much compared to Topping DX5 that costs 3x as much. So if you want an upgrade and you like FiiO, get KA17. DC04 Pro should be very close as well. If you want to take the risk on Plus4, you won't be disappointed. Outperforms BTR15 in pretty much every aspect and you'll notice that in anything you listen to. The least expensive of the three seems to be DC04 Pro at 120€ and you can buy it from iBasso EU with 1-3 day delivery. Next Plus4 at 140€ (plus VAT) and then KA17 at 159€. If you don't want to spend much money and upgrade your BTR15, iBasso DC04 Pro is the way to go according to several reviews.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #3,702 of 3,712
If it's sound quality that matters to you the most, the only two dongles that can be closer to Plus4 performance are FiiO KA17 and iBasso DC04 Pro. And I would have to listen to them to believe it. Plus4 is not in the same league of most sub 200€ dongles, including tp50. I don't feel I lose much compared to Topping DX5 that costs 3x as much. So if you want an upgrade and you like FiiO, get KA17. DC04 Pro should be very close as well. If you want to take the risk on Plus4, you won't be disappointed. Outperforms BTR15 in pretty much every aspect and you'll notice that in anything you listen to. The least expensive of the three seems to be DC04 Pro at 120€ and you can buy it from iBasso EU with 1-3 day delivery. Next Plus4 at 140€ and then KA17 at 159€. At 140€ (Plus4) add 23% IVA here in Portugal, so it goes up to 170€.

Looking closely now at KA17 specs and another review, it's probably as good as Plus4. It's probably the one I will like to try as soon as I can. If the THX amp affects sound quality, it's a serious competitor.
Ah. That's great. I'll try tp50 first then ill decide to buy the plus 4. Some friends told me that the plus 4 sounds harsh. But from what ive tried in the past, they're pretty good.

Well i guess i just need to try them. 🤣

May 18, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #3,703 of 3,712
Ah. That's great. I'll try tp50 first then ill decide to buy the plus 4. Some friends told me that the plus 4 sounds harsh. But from what ive tried in the past, they're pretty good.

Well i guess i just need to try them. 🤣
That's not the case. I found that the purple filter is by far the one that makes it shine, like a more expensive DAC. This is the less sharp one, that renders treble, for example, with more subtlety and smoothness. It's very pleasant, not sharp at all in my opinion and that makes it sound more "high-end".

But at the end of the day this is all about personal prefence. One can not like the harshness, whatever of a 1000€ DAC. :) But that Plus4 is more detailed and dynamic than BTR15, that's a fact. This is not a big difference though, but you can notice it. I passed a whole day A/B'ing them to come to this conclusion with all certainty. BTR15 is very good. Then Plus4 filters turn the comparison more difficult because some sound almost flat and dark to my taste. So I had to pass alot of time finding the best filter, before I could compare them (turned out to be the purple filter).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back