FIIO 2024 New Product Schedule-From FIIO James
May 27, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #196 of 200
I think DAPs are interesting too, but if you primarily stream music, then a phone really is the best option for portable listening.

In either case, there is supposed to be a battery pack released for the KA17 dongle, so I’d keep my eye on that as well.

On cell phones there are many distractions from social media and instant messaging apps. I don't think it's always advantageous for a time when you just want to listen to music (whether via streaming or local files).

May 27, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #197 of 200
On cell phones there are many distractions from social media and instant messaging apps. I don't think it's always advantageous for a time when you just want to listen to music (whether via streaming or local files).

That's true, but my concern with streaming on a DAP is that DAP software doesn't tend to get updated regularly and I can't trust that streaming services will always function the way they're supposed to.

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #198 of 200
That's true, but my concern with streaming on a DAP is that DAP software doesn't tend to get updated regularly and I can't trust that streaming services will always function the way they're supposed to.
One solution is to use a third party app. like UAPP. I have it installed on HiBy RS6 and use if for playing both local files and QoBuz streaming. which it supports natively. UAPP is solid and updates are timely in my experience.

May 28, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #199 of 200

If you keep track of the times when streaming apps stop supporting a certain version of Android and see which versions of Android are being adopted on current DAPs, you'll notice that your device's battery will fail before you can no longer update an streaming app. Other than that, there is still the UAPP, which receives updates regularly and does not require a very recent version of Android.

Below is the minimum requirement for the top music streaming apps:

Amazon Music - Android 9
Apple Music - Android 6
Deezer - Android 6
Spotify - Android 5
Qobuz - Android 6
Tidal - Android 7
YouTube Music - Android 8

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back