Eleven Audio XIAUDIO Formula S Headphone Amplifier
Jun 20, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #616 of 674
That size is actually crazy--bigger than some speaker amps. The fact they need this large of a case for headphones that play just fine off of less than 2 watts leads me to think that they're going for more watts and better control/finesse to increase the dynamics. Reminds me how Hifiman made that EF1000 for the Susvara because that's the amount of wattage it actually needed.

As far as the TC goes, it already slams plenty on the 2 watt FS+P. Often times, increasing the gap causes the bass to distort so I wonder how it will benefit from the improved amplification from the 3952 when the bass already distorts a bit.

$10k incoming...

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #617 of 674
interestingly the formula s with the powerman really has a kick and performs like a more powerful amp...I think the powerman is the reason but who knows...all I know is it is great with the abyss tc...perhaps the more powerful version will be better for susvara

Jun 21, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #618 of 674
interestingly the formula s with the powerman really has a kick and performs like a more powerful amp...I think the powerman is the reason but who knows...all I know is it is great with the abyss tc...perhaps the more powerful version will be better for susvara

It's because power output measurements are fairly useless in the grand scheme of things. It's just like THD. It's a massive oversimplification of a complex system. An amp that is current clipping/having slew issues/voltage clippint/etc all at the exact same measurement spec will sound wildly differently, not to mention the way we quote power isn't even standardized. Hell, in the higher end stuff people will often quote power just as a "it will do this for sure" and don't even bother actualy measuring it to find real peak. Tbh, once you get past the like $1500 range I pretty well ignore power specs unless they are several orders of magnitude different (like a few hundred mW VS several watts)

Jul 13, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #619 of 674
Hi all,

I have the Formula S but without the Powerman and I want to know if getting it makes a great difference. I have the chance to get my hands on a WA33 and also a Holo Bliss but I'm torn between moving from on the Formula S or keeping it and getting the Powerman. Any advice would really help me thanks!

Jul 13, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #621 of 674
I have a Powerman and can try with and without for you and let you make the decision.
That would be great! thanks!

Jul 13, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #622 of 674
Just my opinion but the Powerman makes a difference the question is whether it’s worth to you. As far as the WA33 or the Bliss, they will both sound different then the Formula S.

Bliss will be a touch warmer, punchier, better space and separation and a much bigger footprint, and have the clackity-clack volume knob.

The WA33 will be neutral mostly but very smooth. Depending on tubes, you’ll be able to customize the sound.

I’ve burned through a lot of money to find out myself. If you’re happy with the Formula S sound and it works in your chain. Get the Powerman and don’t look back. Because there’s always something slightly better.

Jul 13, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #623 of 674
Just my opinion but the Powerman makes a difference the question is whether it’s worth to you. As far as the WA33 or the Bliss, they will both sound different then the Formula S.

Bliss will be a touch warmer, punchier, better space and separation and a much bigger footprint, and have the clackity-clack volume knob.

The WA33 will be neutral mostly but very smooth. Depending on tubes, you’ll be able to customize the sound.

I’ve burned through a lot of money to find out myself. If you’re happy with the Formula S sound and it works in your chain. Get the Powerman and don’t look back. Because there’s always something slightly better.
Thanks for the info. The main problem I have with getting the Powerman is the cost, right now is at 2,700 USD and just for a bit more I can get a Bliss. From what you're describing I think I'm leaning into getting the Bliss and selling the Formula S.

Jul 13, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #624 of 674
Yeah, I would buy used. I forgot it was that much. Crap I sold the stack for almost that amount.

Get the Bliss. 😁

Jul 13, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #625 of 674
Hi all,

I have the Formula S but without the Powerman and I want to know if getting it makes a great difference. I have the chance to get my hands on a WA33 and also a Holo Bliss but I'm torn between moving from on the Formula S or keeping it and getting the Powerman. Any advice would really help me thanks!
Yes it makes a very nice difference to the formula S ( I compared when i owned it). Blacker background, better bass, better dynamics etc but the wa33 is a nice step up from the formula s/p and sounds alot more open/better timbre/more natural/smoother but quite a bit more money.

Jul 13, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #626 of 674
the powerman is a must...I bought the formula s alone initially and was amazed at the improvement with the powerman

Jul 13, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #627 of 674
the powerman is a must...I bought the formula s alone initially and was amazed at the improvement with the powerman
If I can get one used I would do it in a heartbeat but I haven't found anyone who's willing to only selling the Powerman and I don't blame them

Jul 13, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #628 of 674
Yeah, I would buy used. I forgot it was that much. Crap I sold the stack for almost that amount.

Get the Bliss. 😁
I'm really close to pulling the trigger on the Bliss but the WA33 is keeping me from doing it lol. I guess I have to think about it more

Jul 13, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #629 of 674
If I can get one used I would do it in a heartbeat but I haven't found anyone who's willing to only selling the Powerman and I don't blame them

The much more likely way to do it is to sell your unit and buy a used stack. Honestly, your better off just upgrading the amp as a whole than dropping another almost 3k on a poweman

Jul 13, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #630 of 674
The much more likely way to do it is to sell your unit and buy a used stack. Honestly, your better off just upgrading the amp as a whole than dropping another almost 3k on a poweman
Yeah I think that's what I'll do now it's just deciding between the Bliss and WA33

Users who are viewing this thread

Back