Eleven Audio XIAUDIO Formula S Headphone Amplifier
May 16, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #601 of 674
Interesting. I wonder if this is still “tailored” for Abyss.

I wouldn’t focus on cabling IMO. It’s just a ploy to sell JPS Cables which sounded the same as my Mogami.
Just save your cash for a better source/amp.

I just hope the internals aren’t as pitiful as the Formula S

May 16, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #602 of 674
Interesting. I wonder if this is still “tailored” for Abyss.

I wouldn’t focus on cabling IMO. It’s just a ploy to sell JPS Cables which sounded the same as my Mogami.
Just save your cash for a better source/amp.

I just hope the internals aren’t as pitiful as the Formula S
What’s pitiful about the internals of the Formula S?

May 16, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #603 of 674
the formula s with the powerman is an outstanding combo despite what you think about the internals

May 16, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #604 of 674
What’s pitiful about the internals of the Formula S?
I believe this thread has someone who took pictures of the inside of an early Formula S and apparently there was a revision that made some of the PowerMan units incompatible.

Pretty disconcerting considering the MSRP.

Of course this is my opinion.

May 16, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #605 of 674
I believe this thread has someone who took pictures of the inside of an early Formula S and apparently there was a revision that made some of the PowerMan units incompatible.

Pretty disconcerting considering the MSRP.

Of course this is my opinion.
Do you understand the topology of the amplification in the Formula S?

It’s a unique amplifier with multiple gain stages. JFET topology which is more complicated to implement and the parts are more expensive than say a MOSFET design. I think people should be more measured when making comments about things that are beyond their understanding.

The Powerman as “pitiful” as the internals may look is an efficient design. I have 1980s design Naim power amplifiers which have very simplistic internals and yet they haven’t been beaten on performance by more modern amplifiers.

At the end of the day the proof is in the performance and the Form S when compared to amplifiers even more expensive stands up very well indeed.

Last edited:
May 16, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #606 of 674

It’s a unique amplifier with multiple gain stages. JFET topology which is more complicated to implement and the parts are more expensive than say a MOSFET design. I think people should be more measured when making comments about things that are beyond their understanding.

The Powerman as pitiful as the internals may look is an efficient design. I have 1980s design Naim power amplifiers which have very simplistic internals and yet they haven’t been beaten on performance by more modern amplifiers.

At the end of the day the proof is in the performance and the Form S when compared to amplifiers even more expensive stands up very well indeed.

I agree with you 100%, but ultimately, this is a hobby. No need to be quite so aggressive.

May 16, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #607 of 674

The Powerman as pitiful as the internals may look is an efficient design. I have 1980s design Naim power amplifiers which have very simplistic internals and yet they haven’t been beaten on performance by more modern amplifiers.

Thanks for calling me dumb. Calm down though, it’s just headphone gear.

May 17, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #608 of 674
I am not being aggressive at all and I apologise if my reply read that way to you. My point was just to say that a product is more than the sum of its parts. For instance here is my phono pre which is a tube design.

FA0F73B7-042C-40A6-8833-3BD63DCA8BA5.jpeg
It also looks very plain and simple but it saw off some of the most complicated looking circuit designed amplifers that were far more expensive.

A reader or a new headfi hobbyist could consider criticism such as that wrongly and form a conclusion which is misleading.

Again my intentions are only to be fair and I’m sorry if you were offended.

Last edited:
May 21, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #609 of 674
Yesterday at the High End Munich I was able to test the 3952 amp from XIAUDIO, definitely better than the excellent Formula S, Powerman combination.

May 21, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #610 of 674
Yesterday at the High End Munich I was able to test the 3952 amp from XIAUDIO, definitely better than the excellent Formula S, Powerman combination.
Did you get picture of the new amp?

May 21, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #611 of 674
May 21, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #612 of 674
May 21, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #614 of 674
I made a video for the High End, where you can see the new amp and the new Diana MR.

Link with time stamp. NGL, I hope there is a lot more case work to do here cause thats almost as ugly as the new IFI enegizer

May 21, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #615 of 674
Link with time stamp. NGL, I hope there is a lot more case work to do here cause thats almost as ugly as the new IFI enegizer

It definitely didn't look like a finished product, more like an early prototype. I like the Formula S much better in terms of design and symmetry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back