Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
May 9, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #4,396 of 4,413
Joined the club yesterday, pleased so far.

I have two ways to drive them at the moment but probably need something better.

First is Fiio M11S where the sound is not bad but perhaps back on where I had hoped.

Second is my Marantz HD-Amp 1 which has quite a good headphone output, with my iPhone plugged in via usb and using the Marantz Dac.

Quite blown away by how much better the Marantz sounds than the FiiO actually.

Maybe I shouldn’t be…

Thinking of getting a used Goldnote DS-10 to drive these cans.

Are there any suggestions of a good amp £500-£1000 for these; my absolute ideal would be a Roon ready unit such as the Goldnote or maybe something from Matrix.

I could however buy an amp with inbuilt dac and maybe use my iPhone or a MacBook as a source, although would rather keep it a simple setup.

May 9, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #4,397 of 4,413
My suggestion for anyone looking at a single-unit DAC+AMP would be RME ADI-2. That's what I use, and it will be perfect for anything but the most power-hungry headphones. In-built EQ is also a differentiator and a game-changer IMO.

May 9, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #4,398 of 4,413
Joined the club yesterday, pleased so far.

I have two ways to drive them at the moment but probably need something better.

First is Fiio M11S where the sound is not bad but perhaps back on where I had hoped.

Second is my Marantz HD-Amp 1 which has quite a good headphone output, with my iPhone plugged in via usb and using the Marantz Dac.

Quite blown away by how much better the Marantz sounds than the FiiO actually.

Maybe I shouldn’t be…

Thinking of getting a used Goldnote DS-10 to drive these cans.

Are there any suggestions of a good amp £500-£1000 for these; my absolute ideal would be a Roon ready unit such as the Goldnote or maybe something from Matrix.

I could however buy an amp with inbuilt dac and maybe use my iPhone or a MacBook as a source, although would rather keep it a simple setup.
Hi there.
I can suggest the Singxer SDA2 or Hifiman Serenade. Both sound good. Used with the Denon AH D9200.
Although the Serenade is also a network player but not wireless, so maybe one of the companys cheapper models. I think they have 1 or 2 more.

May 23, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #4,399 of 4,413
Today I received the Melco S100 Afterdark modded switch and plug the Mac Mini M1 to the switch via RJ45 port. I immediately feel the sound streaming from internet like youtube, roon was better like calming down the tone and take away the brightness of the D9200 a lot or just a little present to my ears. D9200 is very to be driven, but the sources affect the brightness of D9200 a lot. I think I still might improve the sound by using LPS for the switch in the future.

May 23, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #4,400 of 4,413
Today I received the Melco S100 Afterdark modded switch and plug the Mac Mini M1 to the switch via RJ45 port. I immediately feel the sound streaming from internet like youtube, roon was better like calming down the tone and take away the brightness of the D9200 a lot or just a little present to my ears. D9200 is very to be driven, but the sources affect the brightness of D9200 a lot. I think I still might improve the sound by using LPS for the switch in the future.
If you get a very bright recording then the Denon is likely to show this up, as would all good headphones. It's also fair to say that the Denons will suit some recordings over other headphones that I have and the opposite is also true. On streaming services you are also at the mercy of the quality of that streaming service. The old adage is crap in, crap out.

May 24, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #4,402 of 4,413
When I first heard d9200 I thought I made an expensive mistake. Anything I played on them sounded very harsh with elevated treble. Second day was better. After about 2 weeks I started to like them. Now after they burned in and brain adjusted to it, I can say they are good for jazz, electronic but not metal. It is not universal

May 24, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #4,403 of 4,413
I love them for metal (when paired with a quality copper cable).

May 25, 2024 at 5:37 AM Post #4,407 of 4,413
Forza noir is 247$ plus tax. :scream: I hope its good

Ohhhhhh, yeah it is baby, it makes the music sound ever so sweet, I admit I was surprised by the pop a nut experience. Totally recommended cable and D9200 experience, best I ever had.

IMG-6312.jpg

May 25, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #4,408 of 4,413
I had it too, withe this Denon. Very pleasant listening.

May 25, 2024 at 6:25 AM Post #4,409 of 4,413
It's just more of a coincidence reading about cables _and_ posting about cables, simply wanted to tell that after several months the cable was not available at beyerdynamic, I was able to order and buy it at https://www.beyerdynamic.de/na-test...isch.html?refSrc=3867&nosto=returning-history and although it's described as proprietary fitting T1/T5 and so on (stated on their website/Shop), I am using it with the d9200 and it fits well. BTW it's the XLR-version and I'm driving them with a powerful amplifier, would not like to talk about any sonic differences to the previously six-month-used tripwire XLR Cable because of possible burn-in/psychoacoustics. I was indeed tempted to spend 296€ for the forza MKii, but in the end decided to save €146 (excluding delivery/packaging). The additional amplifier pulling the Driver away from my ear, this is my hearing impression, is sonically detectable (XLR technology, nothing special, does not depend on whether it's tripwire or beyer or else of course). The cable is not even close to semi-microphonic, only rubbing with fingernails over it is hearable, it does not seem to have a memory effect and is very sturdy built.
One final note concerning holographicness/depth-perception because it was subject in previous posts: it might be a bit narrowed with the D9200, but it's very much perceivable with my ears. I also did some extensive listening with focus on left right middle realism/imaging for eight weeks now, there is nothing to be describable as unnatural IMO.

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 7:14 AM Post #4,410 of 4,413

Attachments

• IMG_4653.jpeg
    IMG_4653.jpeg
    399.4 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back