Costs of commissioning a Stax T2 DIY Build.
Apr 10, 2012 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

dyslexic2001

New Head-Fier
Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000105 EndHTML:0000005440 StartFragment:0000002324 EndFragment:0000005404

Hi,

I am currently using 007 mk1 with the  SRM 007T mk2 amp , I would like to upgrade the amp to get the most out of the 007 (with a view to perhaps also buying the 009 at a later date) I have done some research and | am torn between the BHSE and a T2 DIY.
If I was to go down the T2 DIY road. How much should it cost to commission a build?
How prescriptive should I be with the quality of the components used?
With regard driving the 007 how much better than the BHSE is it?
And finally who should I go to for the build?

I hope that’s not too many questions for my 1st post. And appreciate any advise you can offer.

Apr 10, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #3 of 28
You'll be very hard-pressed to find anyone who will build one for you.  They are very difficult, expensive, and time consuming to build.  You can try posting a "want to buy/commission" thread, but I wouldn't hold your breath. 

Quote:
 but for building imo Justin owner of Headamp, however before I ordered the BHSE I did ask Justin if he'd any plans to build the T2 DIY but he said no.

Justin would probably be happy to build a T2 for $50,000, but I doubt he'd be interested otherwise.  He runs a company with set product offerings, not a DIY-to-order shop. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #4 of 28
A DIY T2 isn't an easy build. The cost of material alone would easily exceed US$5,000.

It's a very powerful amp. You can use it to drive virtually any electrostatic headphones in the market with ease. As for sound, I can't comment. Because everyone has his own preferences.

Wachara C.

Apr 10, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #5 of 28
I've heard the sum of $10k tossed around here and there.

Apr 10, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 28
Oh yeah, the sound - the difference between the T2 and the BHSE is very very very slight.  The improvement is extremely subtle when doing a direct A/B - you will definitely not notice if you only own one or the other. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #8 of 28

Quote:
Hi,

I am currently using 007 mk1 with the  SRM 007T mk2 amp , I would like to upgrade the amp to get the most out of the 007 (with a view to perhaps also buying the 009 at a later date) I have done some research and | am torn between the BHSE and a T2 DIY.
If I was to go down the T2 DIY road. How much should it cost to commission a build?
How prescriptive should I be with the quality of the components used?
With regard driving the 007 how much better than the BHSE is it?
And finally who should I go to for the build?

My suggestion would be either order a BHSE, or keep the 007Tii and buy an SR-009. If you want to actually be listening to anything within a year, go the latter route. I don't think Justin @ Headamp could build a T2 even if he wanted to. Stax owns the design, and AFAIK it's available for DIY only.

Anybody you're going to find willing to take your money and build you a T2 is not somebody you want building a T2.

Apr 10, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #10 of 28
The KGSSHV has very little in common with the T2.

The stax mafia is working on a version of the T2 that replaces the front end
tubes with solid state. Similar to the BHSE, but with more than double the
number of parts.

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #12 of 28

Anybody you're going to find willing to take your money and build you a T2 is not somebody you want building a T2.

I sure hope you're wrong there. Found a professional shop who was interested in building one, got them the PCBs, and off they went. Costing me an arm and a leg, but less than the 10k quoted above. Had to promise that I wouldn't tell anyone about who's doing it before they're finished, 'cause they're not sure yet if they'll want to build another one 
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #13 of 28

Quote:
I sure hope you're wrong there. Found a professional shop who was interested in building one, got them the PCBs, and off they went. Costing me an arm and a leg, but less than the 10k quoted above. Had to promise that I wouldn't tell anyone about who's doing it before they're finished, 'cause they're not sure yet if they'll want to build another one 
biggrin.gif

What I meant is that DIY T2s are not amateur hour. There's seriously high voltage at play here, and if you don't know what you are doing, that can be dangerous to both the builder and the buyer. At least around these parts, the folks with the skill to actually make them don't take requests.

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #14 of 28
And if you didn't know, I believe Stax released the schematic of the original T2 for that 'crazy bunch' out of good will.

It's one thing to get a mate to help build it for you, but it's another to find a professional shop to build a project that captures the very heart and soul of 'DIY'.

IMO, it's a real kick in the face for the designer of the T2, and Stax. Do the people who lust over a DIY T2 even know, or truly appreciate what's inscribed on the DIY T2 boards themselves?

Only a DIYer would understand.
tongue.gif

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #15 of 28
Not to mention that it would be illegal for any shop to start producing them commercially without express permission from Stax

Users who are viewing this thread

Back