Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
May 22, 2024 at 7:10 AM Post #2,179 of 2,182
Hi everyone, first post here. I read all (or almost) this thread, and I got the RU7 last Friday.
It works (and sound) great, but I have a little issue.
I mostly use it connected to my iPad Pro (2018 model), and as that old machina has a weaker battery than when it was new, I purchased an USB splitter cable, that has a female USB C for powering only, and another for data, going to a male one into to the iPad.
I noticed, and that was also what happened when I connected it the first time, that if the iPad battery is full, the dongle is powered (display on) but there's no sound in the IEMs. I can connect the RU to the iPad USB C and then it works. It discharge the battery of course, and that's ok.
Then, if I connect again the split cable, it keep working UNTIL the iPad reach the full battery again, so suddenly there's no output again.
The turnaround is that I connect the RU to the iPad directly, and when the battery goes to 50/60% I put the split cable in the middle again, but it would be optimal if I could avoid this. Have yet to try with my iPhone 15 (non Pro), and anyway I received the RU6 two hours ago, it shows the same behavior so I guess it's something related to this cable. A FIIO KA13 I tried for some days didn’t need this turnaround, it worked with the iPad and USB C split cable with no issue.

Is there anyone that know a similar cable that would work?

EDIT: this is the split cable I purchased
https://www.amazon.it/dp/B0CB3M46Y5?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #2,180 of 2,182
Hi everyone, first post here. I read all (or almost) this thread, and I got the RU7 last Friday.
It works (and sound) great, but I have a little issue.
I mostly use it connected to my iPad Pro (2018 model), and as that old machina has a weaker battery than when it was new, I purchased an USB splitter cable, that has a female USB C for powering only, and another for data, going to a male one into to the iPad.
I noticed, and that was also what happened when I connected it the first time, that if the iPad battery is full, the dongle is powered (display on) but there's no sound in the IEMs. I can connect the RU to the iPad USB C and then it works. It discharge the battery of course, and that's ok.
Then, if I connect again the split cable, it keep working UNTIL the iPad reach the full battery again, so suddenly there's no output again.
The turnaround is that I connect the RU to the iPad directly, and when the battery goes to 50/60% I put the split cable in the middle again, but it would be optimal if I could avoid this. Have yet to try with my iPhone 15 (non Pro), and anyway I received the RU6 two hours ago, it shows the same behavior so I guess it's something related to this cable. A FIIO KA13 I tried for some days didn’t need this turnaround, it worked with the iPad and USB C split cable with no issue.

Is there anyone that know a similar cable that would work?

EDIT: this is the split cable I purchased
https://www.amazon.it/dp/B0CB3M46Y5?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
This post refers to both the RU7 and later to the RU6. Which device to you in fact have?

Somewhere on HeadFi there was positive mention of a ddHifi $29 USB C dongle that had two input connections, one for power and one for data. Worth looking into.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #2,181 of 2,182
It didn’t work for me with RU7.
Worked fine with all my other dongles
I do not have that cable. But I did not notice the word "OTG" in the listing. Might be the issue.

I have had good luck with Meenova Apple lightning to USB C OTG cables. They even make longer cables (though ordering is tricky; the AliExpress drop downs often revert to the short cable).

I have my Meenova cable (long) and Apple CCK up for auction on eBay. I have jumped to the USB C iphones.

May 25, 2024 at 2:14 AM Post #2,182 of 2,182
This post refers to both the RU7 and later to the RU6. Which device to you in fact have?

Somewhere on HeadFi there was positive mention of a ddHifi $29 USB C dongle that had two input connections, one for power and one for data. Worth looking into.
Thanks for your answer. I have both dongles, the 6 arrived the same day I wrote my question, and it has the same behavior.
They both stop playing music through headphones when the tablet reach the full charge and the split cable still send power.
No way to have them works, disconnecting and reconnecting, reboot, relaunch the music player…the display goes on when I press on the menu or volume key, I can change settings, but the output is muted. Weird!
About the ddHifi I read somewhere that it doesn’t allow the phone to “talk” with the battery (as the data connections are routed to the other usb-c port) so the charger doesn’t know how much power has to be sent to the battery. And as I suspect the split cable I have does the same, I reverted to an old, not fast charger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back