Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
May 27, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #841 of 852
Can you help me, you are new with the cayin N3 ultra and but I don't know how to scan the library.

I have Walkman and it does it by itself

I hope you can support me.
At the initial screen post-boot up click on "folder" at top left, then click music scan.

May 27, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #843 of 852
May 27, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #845 of 852
May 27, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #846 of 852
Well, I'm happy with the N3 ultra, a very good dap.

May 27, 2024 at 11:31 PM Post #847 of 852
Hi all, can someone help and tell me if N3U provides more pleasant sound / tube timbre compared to DAP / USB dongle DAC paired with budget portable tube amp such as Kaei Tap1, Gad Adv or little bear?
At the moment I'm using RS2 (or RU6) + Gad Adv tube amp. I'm torn between getting N3U or another portable amp such as Aroma A100TB or Sound Tiger. If my current set up sounds more or less similar to N3U, I think I'll get new portable amp instead. Thanks

May 28, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #848 of 852
If you're willing to use an external BT adapter, then at least you'll have BT. Below are the 2 BT adapters I've tried with success.

Here's my post about using the Creative BT-W5 with N3Ultra. Using the BT-W5 bypasses any tube timbre circuitry.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C144XQWW
12349286.jpg

Just for kicks, I've also tried this 3.5mm SE to BT adapter with success as well. Since the adapter plugs into the 3.5mm SE output you can get all 3 audio modes (SS, Classic and Modern) over BT.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XLTPTSD
1716737366388.png
Thank you for the reply. All options to consider however I was looking for an all in one which I can get with something like the iBasso DX170, Hiby R4 etc.

Currently I have the Mojo/Poly which has bluetooth implementation, but requires a phone to control and is rather bulky, I also have the option for using my phone with the handful of dongle DACS I already own.

What I liked about the N3U was the idea of Tubes, small form factor and price, but I do use Qobuz/Tidal, Spotify along with other apps, I would also like to be able to use a pair of balanced headphones, my dongle DACS do not have this feature.

I had recently purchased the iBasso DX170 which for me is the right size, has the options of outputs and access to the apps mentioned above and at a cost reasonable to me, however the interface can be slow at times with occasional freezing, so this will be going back. I have on order the Hiby R4 which for me at £195 fit all my requirements, however the proof is in the tasting

May 28, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #849 of 852
Last edited:
May 28, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #850 of 852
@Andykong

1st of all - please don't get me wrong about my "maybe rude" attitude this is not personal.

I am very comfortable with the predecessor, the N3 Pro
Due to this i was a expectant concerning the new one.

Out of the Box the Firmware Version 1.0 is quit lousy.
For a version 0.x it might be acceptable but version 1.0 implies
final release and this is far away from the final/stable.

My first impressions while fiddling around with the new device.
1.)

I encountered frequently FW messages "...not responding" then it restarts.
This happens while listen to music and changing parameters inside the menu e.g. font size

2.)
Sometimes while choose a track for playback it happens that the player plays the track faster
without sound, the location marker was moving very fast thru the track with no output to headphone.
Choosing another track sometimes fixed it sometimes FW messages
"...not responding" then it restarts.

Due to this i tried to upgrade to FW 1.20 today.

3.)
Concerning the upgrade instructions:
Copy an uncompressed file to the root of a folder is not a big deal due to this i did it as mentioned.
But the FOTA Update function showed me ONLY the internal storage .
Even after some factory resets dosen´t showed me the external storage.
File Format is NTFS

4.)
Due to this i copied the FW 1.20 zip from the external SD card to the internal storage into the download
folder and choosing this location while using FOTA. That was the key it worked.
Of course i deleted the FW 1.20 zip from the internal location afterwards to free storage space.

5.)
After a successful FW upgrade to version 1.20 the FOTA function now shows me my SD card and NOT
the internal storage ; it looks like that it was not my imperfaction.

In a nutshell:
Currently, after mastering this obstacles, i am not thinking to return the device.
But i am confused about the software state while roll out phase.
Isn´t a >500$ device not worth to validate it propperly !?

Feature request
Could you talk to the software engineers if it is possible to:

1.)
While listening to some tracks and swiping to the left over the cover the lyrics section appears. Checked
Is it possible while swiping to the right that the Track properties appears like the Cayin N3 Pro ?

2.)
Is it possible to enhance the area to slide down the topbar menu ?
I am using the N3U with the leather sleeve and i have to pinpoint precisely with my finger tip to slide the menu down.
A casual move with my finger, like i am doing with the Cayin N3 Pro also covered in the leather case, doesn't fit with the Cayin N3 Ultra.

Thank you in advance
Michael

May 29, 2024 at 12:11 AM Post #851 of 852
Thank you for the reply. All options to consider however I was looking for an all in one which I can get with something like the iBasso DX170, Hiby R4 etc.

Currently I have the Mojo/Poly which has bluetooth implementation, but requires a phone to control and is rather bulky, I also have the option for using my phone with the handful of dongle DACS I already own.

What I liked about the N3U was the idea of Tubes, small form factor and price, but I do use Qobuz/Tidal, Spotify along with other apps, I would also like to be able to use a pair of balanced headphones, my dongle DACS do not have this feature.

I had recently purchased the iBasso DX170 which for me is the right size, has the options of outputs and access to the apps mentioned above and at a cost reasonable to me, however the interface can be slow at times with occasional freezing, so this will be going back. I have on order the Hiby R4 which for me at £195 fit all my requirements, however the proof is in the tasting
You're welcome. I just wanted to share that even though the N3Ultra doesn't include BT, that there were a couple working solutions. If the iBasso DX170 is right for you and makes you happy, then that's all that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back