Buy the Sennheiser HD800S now or save up for the HE1000SE? (Mostly Gaming)
May 1, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #16 of 51
The HE1000stealth are significantly cheaper and I did consider them at one point. However after researching a bit, the general consensus now is many prefer the Arya Organic over HE1K Stealth. The SE is considered to be the next jump.
Tonality wise, I've heard people say the Organic is tuned better.
"Tuned better" is 100% a matter of preference. I recommend the HE1000 Stealth because it's bass quantity will be more satisfying to many people, and it's treble isn't as bright as SE, which, again, more people will be happy for.

And as for things like detail, soundstage, and imaging, well, I believe all three are about equal, which is to say, VERY, VERY good.

May 1, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #17 of 51
I don't know If I would spend a 1500+ on headphones just to game. And before I get jumped on, I'm a huge gamer - Cyberpunk, Skyrim, Division 2, Mass Effect, Dragon Age to name a few. I also build PC gaming rigs for myself as a hobby.

Still, I can't see paying 1500+ for headphones just to play games. And I do have the Sennheiser's HD700, and HD800S phones. And yeah, since I have them, I'll occasionally use them when gaming, but they were first and foremost bought for music, gaming was never a consideration.

Denafrips-Hi-Fi-System_May24.jpg

If I were sticking strictly with gaming, I don't think I would be spending that much. That said, I can't deny the soundstage of both the 700 and 800S is wonderful in gaming. I suppose if I had to do it, I would find a pair of HD700 strictly for gaming and be happy there.

But that's me, and strictly my opinion. That said, the HD800S are a great headphone.

May 1, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #19 of 51
I don't know If I would spend a 1500+ on headphones just to game. And before I get jumped on, I'm a huge gamer - Cyberpunk, Skyrim, Division 2, Mass Effect, Dragon Age to name a few. I also build PC gaming rigs for myself as a hobby.

Still, I can't see paying 1500+ for headphones just to play games. And I do have the Sennheiser's HD700, and HD800S phones. And yeah, since I have them, I'll occasionally use them when gaming, but they were first and foremost bought for music, gaming was never a consideration.

Denafrips-Hi-Fi-System_May24.jpg

If I were sticking strictly with gaming, I don't think I would be spending that much. That said, I can't deny the soundstage of both the 700 and 800S is wonderful in gaming. I suppose if I had to do it, I would find a pair of HD700 strictly for gaming and be happy there.

But that's me, and strictly my opinion. That said, the HD800S are a great headphone.
Well it's not to say I wouldn't be using the HD800S for music. I just don't like headphones a lot for music because of the Audeze/HiFiMan profile and the heft. I do a majority of my music listening lying down or propped up on the recliner. Rarely sitting down on the desk, if ever.
The HD800S might fix that. Still, open back and bedroom......
I better make sure my girlfriend likes what I'm listening to lol 😉

May 1, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #20 of 51
Wow, really?
In that case, why couldn't I just buy an Arya Organic and EQ some treble into it?
I thought the SE was a step above the Stealths and Organic.

The HE1000 Stealth and Arya Organic are priced closely, but performance wise, the HE1000 line is a step above the Arya line, but not in everything. They're close to parity in detail, imaging, and soundstage, but HE1000 Stealth and SE separate from Arya in resolution, refinement, and transparency. But it's so close.

The price difference between HE1000 Stealth and SE is, as far as I can tell, almost entirely just HiFiMan trying to fill out the market more. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they're the same headphone, but tuned differently.

Same is true for Arya Stealth and Organic.

Remember, the HE1000 used to be a $3k headphone. And the performance you get out of the Stealth, I fully understand why. It's unlike anything I've heard.

But you seem to know what you want. Which is always nice. So go for the SE and be happy. I honestly don't think you can really go wrong with Arya or HE1000.

May 1, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #21 of 51
Can you try them out somewhere?Especially since comfort is very important for gaming.

Personally I was very underwhelmed by the HD800s when I tried them, sound- and comfortwise, so based on that I'd go HiFiMan.

I haven't tried the HE1000 SE so can't comment on that.

May 1, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #24 of 51
Personally I was very underwhelmed by the HD800s
The HD800S by far seems like the most divisive headphone talked about online. Some are wowed by it, but equally as many are not impressed whatsoever.
I have been asking around on r/headphones and it's the same thing.
Hell, even the YouTube content is somewhat divisive.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #25 of 51
I think they reworked the magnets on the SE. The SE can be tuned to sound almost exactly like a Stealth but not vice-versa.

They also have different sensitivities.
They're both using Stealth Magnets, nanometer diaphragm, and 8hz-65hz.

But you're right. Both impedance and sensitivity are higher by a few integers. So SOMETHING is different. lol

May 1, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #27 of 51
I just don't like headphones a lot for music because of the Audeze/HiFiMan profile and the heft. I do a majority of my music listening lying down or propped up on the recliner. Rarely sitting down on the desk, if ever.
The HD800S might fix that. Still, open back and bedroom......
I better make sure my girlfriend likes what I'm listening to lol 😉
Headphones are a personal thing. That said there are all kinds of shapes, sizes, and weight so lumping all things together because of one particular brand or model is kind of like saying you don't like ice cream because you didn't like strawberry. Well.... there are other flavors :wink:

At the end of the day, I don't care what you get, just don't do it on shallow grounds.

Good luck in whatever you do.

Peace :sunglasses:

May 1, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #28 of 51
Hi, I also have the DX9 + HE1000SE. Great products. I also have the Edition XS, DT1990 and tried several brands.

So be aware that the HE1000SE will sound similar to the XS. If not for the purpose of high end music with Hifiman niche signature you might struggle to find a difference between the two. The Arya being in the middle, again little difference with the XS.

With headphone it would hard to beat the XS in this price bracket. You could look into some closed options like the DCA Aeon X, good for imaging and bass response.

HD800s, I didn't like this one too much compared to the Hifiman. It seemed too polite. The 560 or 660 might be good for your need.

Honestly you might be better off looking for a different signature sound. With IEM you could use something like the Hisenior Mega5EST or many cheaper options.

May 1, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #29 of 51
Wow, that's genuinely surprising. The Z1R is famous for its fit and heft issues and here you are wearing it for probably hours...
How do you do it man..

The Z1R is on my list too, but not for gaming. Some people over on the watercooler thread still hold it in high regard as the bass king to this day.
What do you mean fit and heft issues ? I was referring to the MDR-Z1R, not IER-Z1R. The full size 70mm MDR-Z1R is the most comfortable full-size headphones I've owned till date. It's very light for it's size and yet built like a tank.

May 2, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #30 of 51
I have tried both. I prefer the HD800s. Imaging and soundstage is better on the Sennheiser, so I think that it is better suited for gaming.
You might want to add an EQ bass shelf to help explosions and that stuff.
May I know what chain you fed into the HD800S? From all the reviews I've seen, it seems to be incredibly source picky. More so than even the HE1000SE.
I have a Topping DX9, so I guess absolute clean power with headroom shouldn't be a problem.
This is a wild guess but I think this is why the opinion on the HD800S is so divisive.
A first listen on the wrong source would skew your perception of this headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back