Buy the Sennheiser HD800S now or save up for the HE1000SE? (Mostly Gaming)
May 5, 2024 at 6:55 AM Post #46 of 51
If is for gaming nothing better than the 800s.
not enough bass for me to consider them for gaming. they are pretty spot on tho, for everything else.

at 4.5k here for the HE1000s, thats a lot of coin.

May 5, 2024 at 7:04 AM Post #48 of 51
HD 800 needs some good swing at kickbass levels since the impedance almost reaches 640 Ohm.
That's insane. Still, I think my Topping DX9 at 7W per channel should keep it fed properly.
The bit about roll of around 32hz, is it audible under that frequency?
Some reviews mention the bass as well textured and extremely fast. (almost estat like)

May 13, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #49 of 51
What exactly do you want to play? Are we talking about single-player games? If so, then just find whatever you literally like. Use Dolby Atmos or DTS, or whatever you prefer. No one can give you perfect advice here; it all depends on your preferences.
Speaking of competitive FPS gaming (this is the only one that matters for this discussion), I'm a guy who spent a couple of years searching for the best headphone/DAC/amp combination. And hear me out, that high-end DAC/amp hype train is overrated. Nothing gave me better precise in-game positioning like the DT990/770 with Schiit HEL or a stock motherboard sound card like the 9018ESS.
I have about 10 pairs of headphones right now, including the HD800S, and they're good, of course, but I don't think they're the best for competitive FPS gaming. A lot depends on the DAC/amp you use as well. I have products from Burson, Schiit, and FiiO (K9), and I've owned many more before that I've sold. All you need is a neutral sound signature (almost analytical). Avoid anything warm or colored.

May 13, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #50 of 51
What exactly do you want to play? Are we talking about single-player games? If so, then just find whatever you literally like. Use Dolby Atmos or DTS, or whatever you prefer. No one can give you perfect advice here; it all depends on your preferences.
Speaking of competitive FPS gaming (this is the only one that matters for this discussion), I'm a guy who spent a couple of years searching for the best headphone/DAC/amp combination. And hear me out, that high-end DAC/amp hype train is overrated. Nothing gave me better precise in-game positioning like the DT990/770 with Schiit HEL or a stock motherboard sound card like the 9018ESS.
I have about 10 pairs of headphones right now, including the HD800S, and they're good, of course, but I don't think they're the best for competitive FPS gaming. A lot depends on the DAC/amp you use as well. I have products from Burson, Schiit, and FiiO (K9), and I've owned many more before that I've sold. All you need is a neutral sound signature (almost analytical). Avoid anything warm or colored.
As a gamer myself playing both FPS and RPG games, I'd like to know how you came up with what's best for what genre? Have you played every game ever made?

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #51 of 51
As a gamer myself playing both FPS and RPG games, I'd like to know how you came up with what's best for what genre? Have you played every game ever made?
To know what's best for the genre, you don't need to play every game of this genre. For offline games, you need to fill the world, enjoy birds and winter. For competitive FPS games, you need directional sound, soundstage, and precision in understanding where a sound comes from and what the distance is. My suggestion above is based on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back