Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Feb 8, 2024 at 2:49 AM Post #2,626 of 2,669
I actually exited the hobby 2 years ago and sold everything just to come back because of the Beyers. I've heard some pretty good headphones, the 1990s certainly wow me but it's completely different to how the Amiron invoke emotion. I've now enjoyed 3 of their headphones and needless to say I will be owning more in the future.
All Beyers I heard elicit emotion for me, though some much more than others such as the Amiron Home, T1.2/3, and DT 480. I guess their experience as being the original/first maker of dynamic headphones does mean something, they tap into something for me I rarely experienced outside of Beyer. They often elicit a sense of wonder with music, they make me more emotional to the music than any other brand I've tried, and they have sent the most shivers down my spine. I don't get these experiences often outside of Beyers.

Feb 8, 2024 at 2:52 AM Post #2,627 of 2,669
All Beyers I heard elicit emotion for me, though some much more than others such as the Amiron Home, T1.2/3, and DT 480. I guess their experience as being the original/first maker of dynamic headphones does mean something, they tap into something for me I rarely experienced outside of Beyer. They often elicit a sense of wonder with music, they make me more emotional to the music than any other brand I've tried, and they have sent the most shivers down my spine. I don't get these experiences often outside of Beyers.
I can say the same. Which T model do you have now, the 2 or 3? I saw you likened the T1.2 to a better Amiron?

Feb 8, 2024 at 2:55 AM Post #2,628 of 2,669
I can say the same. Which T model do you have now, the 2 or 3? I saw you likened the T1.2 to a better Amiron?
I have the Gen 3 currently, preferred it in the long run, it does have a controversial tuning so can be love/hate depending if you groove with it's unique sound or not. The black edition T1.2 was like a better Amiron though not entirely as there were some differences; not sure if early T1.2's sound the same as I had a very different sounding T1.2 in the past.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 3:09 AM Post #2,629 of 2,669
I have the Gen 3 currently, preferred it in the long run, it does have a controversial tuning so can be love/hate depending if you groove with it's unique sound or not. The black edition T1.2 was like a better Amiron though not entirely as there were some differences; not sure if early T1.2's sound the same as I had a very different sounding T1.2 in the past.
Interesting. I'll keep my eyes open if I can snag one for super cheap, thanks!

Feb 8, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #2,630 of 2,669
Don't really like using adapters, but these will do.
Years ago we did test between hardwired and removable cables and permanently soldered won out each time as there were no extra surfaces for electrons to jump, highs had less distortion and bass had more authority, besides oxidization even oily finger prints will cause electrical interference.
I know folks scream for swap-able cables but if I was ever in a permanent setup I believe I'd hard-wire everything from the source to the headphones or speakers. :thinking:

And a little bit of semi permanence added.
So I ended up buying these adapters. They seem to seat, however even if I don't use the adapters and inserted into the headphone I turn up 100% on high gain and hear faint music almost like a whisper. So I don't know if my XLR port isn't working right, or still isn't seating properly? Also, my XLR cable is TRS and these adapters are TRRS. Wouldn't that cause an issue?

Regardless, my XLR doesn't work with or without the adapters. Just a faint sound at full volume

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 8:07 AM Post #2,631 of 2,669
So I ended up buying these adapters. They seem to seat, however even if I don't use the adapters and inserted into the headphone I turn up 100% on high gain and hear faint music almost like a whisper. So I don't know if my XLR port isn't working right, or still isn't seating properly?
I had had the same issue and was about to return them, push the adapters in with a bit more force, it was a tight fit around the 2nd wider barrel but it fits.
Also, my XLR cable is TRS and these adapters are TRRS. Wouldn't that cause an issue?
I was also questioning this, I'd prefer no adapters at all but they work fine, mono would have been preferred though.
Screen Shot 2024-02-09 at 7.58.22 AM.png

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 8:23 AM Post #2,633 of 2,669
I had had the same issue and was about to return them, push the adapters in with a bit more force, it was a tight fit around the 2nd wider barrel but it fits
1000002795.jpg

This is where it seats. You're saying it should go farther?

Feb 9, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #2,634 of 2,669
This is where it seats. You're saying it should go farther?
Possibly if no signal, I do not have mine with me currently so cannot verify....
Regardless, my XLR doesn't work with or without the adapters. Just a faint sound at full volume
.........but were you able to get the cable to work with the other phones first?

Feb 9, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #2,635 of 2,669
Possibly if no signal, I do not have mine with me currently so cannot verify....

.........but were you able to get the cable to work with the other phones first?
I'm not gonna push these much harder cuz they're seated pretty firmly. And yea I tried switching to Xlr input, as said I hear sound but it's super faint. I probably won't bother buying another cable cuz I have a Lyr+ on the way. When it arrives I'll get the Midgard RMAd to see if there is an issue. I'm undecided if I'll hold on to it once I get the Lyr

I don't have other headphones to use the XLR with, my other two Beyers arent compatible with the cable

Feb 10, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #2,636 of 2,669
Really enjoying the Amiron. I've listened to them switching on and off with the 1990s and would like to share some impressions between the two! Nothing new since both have been out for a while now but still fun none the less.

Overall tonality: Prefacing all this with the 1990 being an energetic, exciting powerhouse and the Amiron being a smooth and creamy dream. They both excel at what they're going for and it's interesting to note. The 1990s are good for everything, while the Amiron won't do so well with certain types of music. Mostly Heavy metal and hard rock since it's a bit too relaxed for that. That being said you might ask yourself why you would get the one that has some limitations over the all arounder? Because the Amiron presents music in a much more pleasing way. I've always been a "detail is king" kind of guy but the Amiron has taught me that "musical" characteristic is super important.

Bass: 1990 bass is just right . It's tighter, thuds better, and rumbles just a bit better than the Amiron. The Amiron has thicker bass leading into the mids which serves up a heavy, thick feeling.

Mids: Amiron is more forward with the mids and a lot of the magic happens here. It creates a nice sense of fullness while not being overly warm. Everything blends together musically. 1990 feels more V shaped presenting powerful bass and treble detail.

Treble: We all know about the 1990s and their treble. Details galore if that's what you want. You'll hear everything, and your ears can bleed if you're sensitive to it. Amiron is no slouch but the mids cover up the treble a bit, resulting in some sounds getting a little lost. Of course this is all very song dependent as the Amiron at times presented me with details I couldn't hear on the 1990s. Overall makes the Amiron much easier to listen to, it's also nice and airy

Timbre: This is my biggest surprise. You'd think with the 1990s and their level of detail they'd fare better but they don't. The Amiron have a much more organic and natural timbre to them. Not only that but I can actually make out how something was recorded much better with the Amiron. It's almost like you're sitting there listening to the artist sing into their microphone.

Soundstage and Imaging: This is really my favorite thing about the Amiron. Everything feels like it's floating in space and sounds just kinda melt together in the best way possible. Imaging is great on both, but the 1990 doesn't really have this melt together effect. Everything is separated and detailed instead so you can make things out a bit better. The 1990 however is tighter, you don't get that ethereal sound out of them.

Comfort and Build: 1990 looks incredible, Amiron is really not impressive to look at lol. 1990 feels sturdier but it's also heavier and the clamp is pretty gnarly on them out the box. I actually stretch all my headphones to they point that they can slide around my head. I've got all three of mine to the point that they're very comfortable and no longer give me headaches and other pains. They are very easy to loosen and they tend to keep their shape very well so if you're sensitive to clampy like I am these are both a great choice. That said the Amiron is lighter and clamps less. Only issue I have with them is they are creaky. I'm going to lube them up cuz it can be annoying. I also don't like the Beyer headbands, so I use a headband cover and slip a thick velour pad inside it. Now they're super comfy on top of my head.

I've always been the type to own one headphone that does it all but I think those days are over. I think having both of these headphones is really great and I'd be missing something if I just stuck to one.

Feb 10, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #2,637 of 2,669
Thanks for the comparisons, the Amiron are for me an alternative to my HD800S and AKG K872, both high on detail.
Only issue I have with them is they are creaky. I'm going to lube them up cuz it can be annoying.
I was going to ask you about that, if yours creak.
Usually I'm more tolerant with something like creaking, but found the Amiron produced a bit too much, just with jaw movements and was also just going to try some lube.
As they were new thought I 'd first contact Beyerdynamic directly, also wanted to see about bass distortion with some recordings.
"..........The headphones are very prone to creaking at the swivel joints with any slight movement of the head or jaw and was hoping this may go away but appears to persist.
It can be quite annoying especially when listening to classical music where silence is appreciated, it’s like a squeaking chair.

Is this something that eventually clears up, should the the joint be lubricated or should the headphone be brought to the supplier for and exchange or sent to Beyerdynamic?"

.....they got back to me with.
"Thank you for your email.
We would ask you to contact your dealer as the headphones need to be checked."
Kind regards,"
I do appreciate that they they didn't just dismiss my concerns.
So my Amiron are currently with Beyerdynamic but was told is might be a month or 2 :slight_frown: ........since they were new I probably could have returned or exchanged them with the retailer but was interested in see what would be done, if anything.
Hopefully find out sooner than later.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 2:14 AM Post #2,638 of 2,669
Thanks for the comparisons, the Amiron are for me an alternative to my HD800S and AKG K872, both high on detail.

I was going to ask you about that, if yours creak.
Usually I'm more tolerant with something like creaking, but found the Amiron produced a bit too much, just with jaw movements and was also just going to try some lube.
As they were new thought I 'd first contact Beyerdynamic directly, also wanted to see about bass distortion with some recordings.
"..........The headphones are very prone to creaking at the swivel joints with any slight movement of the head or jaw and was hoping this may go away but appears to persist.
It can be quite annoying especially when listening to classical music where silence is appreciated, it’s like a squeaking chair.

Is this something that eventually clears up, should the the joint be lubricated or should the headphone be brought to the supplier for and exchange or sent to Beyerdynamic?"

.....they got back to me with.
"Thank you for your email.
We would ask you to contact your dealer as the headphones need to be checked."
Kind regards,"
I do appreciate that they they didn't just dismiss my concerns.
So my Amiron are currently with Beyerdynamic but was told is might be a month or 2 :slight_frown: ........since they were new I probably could have returned or exchanged them with the retailer but was interested in see what would be done, if anything.
Hopefully find out sooner than later.
I had luck just taking off the earcups from the yolks and putting PVC grease in there. No creaking at all after that.

So the last couple weeks after I got my Lyr+ and Bifrost 2/64 I just kept reaching for the 1990 each time I wanted to listen. I got them to a really nice comfortable point where I can wear them for hours and I just preferred the energy and detail in all the music. While my initial impression was that the Amiron was more spacious, they're close but the 1990 are just a bit wider. I also received my long awaited Arya V2 which are going to move the 1990s to be my keyboard headphones and the 990s will sit tucked away in a box.

That being said if anyone wants a pair of Amiron mine are up for sale. They are really nice headphones with their warmer relaxed tone while still being super detailed. I just prefer my energy monsters!

Feb 26, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #2,639 of 2,669
I had luck just taking off the earcups from the yolks and putting PVC grease in there. No creaking at all after that.
I was just going to do that but as Beyerdynamic suggested I bring them in I left them as is and I also wanted them to check to drivers, coincidentally just got them back yesterday, creaking appears to alleviated somewhat and no bass distortion (so far).
the 1990s to be my keyboard headphones
Funny.... just this last month I've been starting to put together a modest DAWless electronic music set up with a Tascam Model 12 (recorder mixer), Korg Minilogue XD and a Boss RC-505 MK II looper, during the 70s.80s and 90s I was doing a lot of experimental stuff and thought I'd get my feet wet once more, so far lots of fun.
IMG_9388.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #2,640 of 2,669
I was just going to do that but as Beyerdynamic suggested I bring them in I left them as is and I also wanted them to check to drivers, coincidentally just got them back yesterday, creaking appears to alleviated somewhat and no bass distortion (so far).

Funny.... just this last month I've been starting to put together a modest DAWless electronic music set up with a Tascam Model 12 (recorder mixer), Korg Minilogue XD and a Boss RC-505 MK II looper, during the 70s.80s and 90s I was doing a lot of experimental stuff and thought I'd get my feet wet once more, so far lots of fun.
IMG_9388.jpeg
Killer! I wish I was recording/practicing as much as I should be but ever since I got back into headphones I've been slacking 😁 The break has been much needed, I was pushing too hard and found myself getting frustrated so now I just do a little every day.

Nord Stage 4 88 as my primary. I also have the Hydrasynth Deluxe, and the two on top are Korg Wavestate and Korg Opsix!

Attachments

• 20240226_110022.jpg
    20240226_110022.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back