AXEL GRELL HEADPHONE
Apr 29, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #391 of 627
Same here, I had several nice headphones in the past, but I moved on to IEMs.

The thing I find with IEMs (i now have close to a dozen, mostly budget but a handful in the $80+ range) is that it's very hard to know whether something will work for me. Frequency response graphs and reviews are less useful because if the comfort is an issue or I can't get a good consistent seal the graphed performance becomes entirely theoretical (and functionally unobtainable for my ears).

I was able to try some sets briefly in Japan (where any old audio store might have rows of IEMs to demo!) but I don't think any such opportunity exists locally for IEMs. (Like literally two stores I'm aware of in the area demo high-end over ears.)

God knows I'd probably spend too much on an IEM if I ever try something that can complete with something like the Elex or Ananda Stealth, but it hasn't happened so far.

I did try and like several of Kiwi Ears pricier IEMs, but nothing blew me away and made me think "I have to buy this."

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #392 of 627
The thing I find with IEMs (i now have close to a dozen, mostly budget but a handful in the $80+ range) is that it's very hard to know whether something will work for me. Frequency response graphs and reviews are less useful because if the comfort is an issue or I can't get a good consistent seal the graphed performance becomes entirely theoretical (and functionally unobtainable for my ears).

I was able to try some sets briefly in Japan (where any old audio store might have rows of IEMs to demo!) but I don't think any such opportunity exists locally for IEMs. (Like literally two stores I'm aware of in the area demo high-end over ears.)

God knows I'd probably spend too much on an IEM if I ever try something that can complete with something like the Elex or Ananda Stealth, but it hasn't happened so far.

I did try and like several of Kiwi Ears pricier IEMs, but nothing blew me away and made me think "I have to buy this."

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #393 of 627

Yeah… if I find an IEM uncomfortable, it’s immediately dead in the water for me. And I’ve tried dozens of IEMs but none have ever truly felt comfortable or disappeared, merely some felt tolerable.

I do appreciate that they’re easier to take on the go, and wireless ones are like an adapter where you know you’re getting a consistent level of sound quality whether connected to your phone or something more crazy like a smartTV. I also appreciate that they’re the best for reducing high-ish frequency background sound… ANC is best with bass, but pure physical isolation is still better with people talking (or crying!) and anything screechy. I do bring a pair of ANC TWS with me everyday to my glasses lab to reduce the SPL of vacuums, forced air, and scratching metal on metal, and I also really appreciate them for mowing the lawn. My first HiFi headphones were a pair of Etymotic ER•6i, and if I could afford one I like the signature of 64 Audio IEMs… haven’t heard one of theirs yet that I didn’t really like the tuning of.

But if I’m home, I 100% prefer full-size headphones. Less ear ache. Less hearing fatigue. Better soundstage – it’s really rare that an in-ear can key into a sound profile that is close enough to my HRTF that it creates any degree of spatial sensation. Cleaning ear wax is kinda gross… and I always feel like there’s too much wax in my ears, and when I wear IEMs regularly I feel like I also have to rinse out my ears regularly. Finding good eartips is a quest… like a quest for the holy grail 😂 I can just slip on a pair of headphones and immediately enjoy, wear them for several hours in a row, and slip them off when I’m done.

But that’s just my personal preference (and why). I know IEMs are still rising in popularity, and I’m truly happy for anyone who finds ones they love.

Apr 29, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #394 of 627

Have you tried the MP145? They are planars and I really love them.

They are very big, mind you. But I'm on the larger side, so it is not a problem for me.

They sound really big, detailed, crisp, they have really good bass, the THD is ridiculously low, much lower than what any headphone not made by Dan Clark would provide you with, and they just cost me 140€.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hidizs-mp145.26656/

I have the 600€ FH9 and many, many headphones, and the MP145 is the thing that I use the most.

Apr 29, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #395 of 627
Have you tried the MP145? They are planars and I really love them.

They are very big, mind you. But I'm on the larger side, so it is not a problem for me.

They sound really big, detailed, crisp, they have really good bass, the THD is ridiculously low, much lower than what any headphone not made by Dan Clark would provide you with, and they just cost me 140€.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hidizs-mp145.26656/

I have the 600€ FH9 and many, many headphones, and the MP145 is the thing that I use the most.
The Ibasso 3T-154 also seems to be pretty good.
https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2...namic-driver-iems-large-driver-deep-bass.html
This review compares it to the MP145.

Apr 30, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #396 of 627
Apr 30, 2024 at 5:26 AM Post #397 of 627
Well, it compares them to say that they are opposites. Which is to be expected. Planars have a sound very different to dynamic drivers.

"There’s a certain difference between MP145 and 3T in sound, to the point where the frequency response graph looks inverted".
Difference in drivers does not equate in a completely different tuning.

Apr 30, 2024 at 5:47 AM Post #398 of 627
Difference in drivers does not equate in a completely different tuning.

I know. But here you have the difference in tuning and the difference in timbre due to the driver.

I expressed myself pretty poorly.

In any case, after trying dozens of IEMs, I do believe that it is harder for a single DD to have the bass and treble extension that a single planar can achieve.

Apr 30, 2024 at 6:07 AM Post #399 of 627
I know. But here you have the difference in tuning and the difference in timbre due to the driver.

In any case, after trying dozens of IEMs, I do believe that it is harder for a single DD to have the bass and treble extension that a single planar can achieve.
That is possible. The 3T-154 sets its focus on the mids anyway. I found that to be interesting. I think V-Shaped IEMs are a dime a dozen nowadays.

Apr 30, 2024 at 6:32 AM Post #400 of 627
That is possible. The 3T-154 sets its focus on the mids anyway. I found that to be interesting. I think V-Shaped IEMs are a dime a dozen nowadays.

The reason for V-shaped signatures is that they are based on a mixture of what a room response would look like, plus a bass boost due to not being able to feel the vibrations in the body, plus some pinna gain, plus personal preference. Obviously, it doesn't work for everyone. But seem to work for the majority of us. I personally prefer Oratory over Harman when it comes to IEMs, but I adore Harman on headphones.

You can see here that 3T-154 has less subbass, considerable roll-off in the treble and a much more steep pinna-gain than the MP145:
graph (6).png

It kind of reminds me to the diffuse field-based HD 600, but with better bass extension, which is to be expected on a closed IEM versus an open-back headphone.

graph (7).png

The Ibasso may be based on some tilted diffuse field target. Something that I don't like that much, but given the popularity of the HD600, it is something that many people would enjoy.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 6:37 AM Post #401 of 627
The reason for V-shaped signatures is that they are based on a mixture of what a room response would look like, plus a bass boost due to not being able to feel the vibrations in the body, plus some pinna gain, plus personal preference. Obviously, it doesn't work for everyone. But seem to work for the majority of us. I personally prefer Oratory over Harman when it comes to IEMs, but I adore Harman on headphones.

You can see here that 3T-154 has less subbass, considerable roll-off in the treble and a much more steep pinna-gain than the MP145: graph (6).png

It kind of reminds me to the diffuse field-based HD 600, but with better bass extension, which is to be expected on a closed IEM versus an open-back headphone.

graph (7).png

The Ibasso may be based on some tilted diffuse field target. Something that I don't like that much, but given the popularity of the HD600, it is something that many people would enjoy.
I immediately thought of the HD 600 when I read the descriptions of this IEM. I adore this headphone. Now I am even more interested to get this IEM. :D thanks! :)

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:36 AM Post #402 of 627
Love my hd6xx and hd800s design and sound. Though I also always love the focal headphones design and sound, their weight and build quality are worrisome to me. Hope this new Axel’s headphone is released soon because the drivers looks very alike to a baby of Focal and Sennheiser ones.

Apr 30, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #404 of 627

I believe it’s actually the opposite… planar drivers don’t have as much excursion, so they have to be relatively larger than dynamic driver types in order to create equivalent air displacement. If you had a dynamic and planar driver of equal size and same enclosure, it’s the planar that would sound thin and airy. Weight is also a significant factor. But the enclosure has it’s own effect!

Lol the drivers look like what inside the Apple earbuds. I liked the dynamic and tangible feel of my earbuds so searched about it extensively in the past
IMG_9400.jpegIMG_9402.png
As long as you are aware that there is a fabric cover in front of the dynamic driver in that picture! But yes, the grell headphone does have a dynamic driver. It’s made of a biocellulose material, similar to what has been seen in Sony and Fostex headphones in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back