AXEL GRELL HEADPHONE
May 15, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #616 of 627
It would be more simple to advertise “speaker-like sound,” but Axel has been veeeery careful to not promise the moon. Since the left ear still cannot hear what the OAE1’s right driver is doing at any significant SPL, there’s no true “In-Front Localization” that will happen JUST because of the headphone. People who would hear “speaker-like” marketing might assume IFL would be there, and even though the soundstage is great it still doesn’t sound like there’s a phantom center out in front of you (unless you use a DSP, like I said in my review).

So, by managing expectations, Axel has been uncommonly genuine and transparent about the benefits and goal of the design. “I” personally do whole-heartedly recommend using it with a Spatial Audio DSP though! Thankfully those are becoming more and more common these days 👍 You can force the (better than nothing but not “wow” for me) Dolby Atmos headphone DSP in many streaming apps these days (like Apple Music and Tidal) and devices may have Spatial Audio too (PlayStation 5 has its bespoke DSP, I believe Xbox Series has Dolby Atmos too).
Wouldn't a simple crossfeed suffice to get a stereo-like image? That is implemented in many dac/amps I think.
If I followed what you and Axel have explained correctly and the goal was not to create a speaker-like experience, I still don't understand what the goal actually is. What Axel is saying the quote I posted above makes no sense to me. Yes, our ears play a role too shape the sound, but the result of what that sound means to us, is still subjective. Our ears don't EQ the FR so it always sounds great. That's not how ears work. :D

I am not too sure about these spatial audio algorithms, I don't really see a benefit for music with them. No normal concert has surround sound.

May 15, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #617 of 627
I wish they’d gone with a higher impedance driver, the 300 ohm Sennheisers are more flexible with different amps than this sudden obsession with making every low impedance for the dongle obsessed, but I went ahead and placed an order anyway.

It’s an interesting design, and being so open but still having bass sounds very promising.

I do love my Beyerdynamic T1.2 which also have very angled drivers.
Screenshot_20240515-174047.png
I don't think it's meant to benefit dongle-obsessed people at all.

May 15, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #620 of 627
@Evshrug

Would you mind describing OAE1 soundstage in more detail please? Such as in comparison to HD800. Perhaps describe in terms of boundaries of L/R channels in width + height + depth, and dimensions of instruments. Or is it less of a large soundstage and more of a source localized towards the front that is different and if so is that preferable to HD800’s presentation? Have you tried yet with movies + games?

In your review you describe OAE1 as upper-mid forward. What gave you that impression exactly?

May 15, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #621 of 627
I don't think it's meant to benefit dongle-obsessed people at all.
How so?

I ordered a pair. There is no real risk (other than having your money tied up), as Drop is offering free 30-day returns on the OAE1. Also, you can cancel your order any time before it is shipped.
same

May 15, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #622 of 627
@Evshrug

Would you mind describing OAE1 soundstage in more detail please? Such as in comparison to HD800. Perhaps describe in terms of boundaries of L/R channels in width + height + depth, and dimensions of instruments. Or is it less of a large soundstage and more of a source localized towards the front that is different and if so is that preferable to HD800’s presentation? Have you tried yet with movies + games?

In your review you describe OAE1 as upper-mid forward. What gave you that impression exactly?
Some of the details you’re asking for are already in the listening notes section, just expand that section of the review by tapping on the blue button that says spoilers. I’m going to add some headphone comparisons under the appropriately named spoiler tag, I’ve just been so exhausted after my full-time job that I’ve been slow to do everything I want with this review. But I knew I had to write out some thing, because there just wasn’t enough information yet!

May 15, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #623 of 627
Wouldn't a simple crossfeed suffice to get a stereo-like image? That is implemented in many dac/amps I think.
If I followed what you and Axel have explained correctly and the goal was not to create a speaker-like experience, I still don't understand what the goal actually is. What Axel is saying the quote I posted above makes no sense to me. Yes, our ears play a role too shape the sound, but the result of what that sound means to us, is still subjective. Our ears don't EQ the FR so it always sounds great. That's not how ears work. :D

I am not too sure about these spatial audio algorithms, I don't really see a benefit for music with them. No normal concert has surround sound.
Back in 2017 JVC was demoing a DSP at Axpona that was phenomenally realistic in terms of making headphones sound just like speakers in a room, it’s the best I’ve ever heard at that effect.

It did require putting microphones in your ear to chirp and make a custom HRTF first though.

I don’t know if they ever moved forward with the tech, but it was super cool.

May 15, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #624 of 627
Some of the details you’re asking for are already in the listening notes section, just expand that section of the review by tapping on the blue button that says spoilers. I’m going to add some headphone comparisons under the appropriately named spoiler tag, I’ve just been so exhausted after my full-time job that I’ve been slow to do everything I want with this review. But I knew I had to write out some thing, because there just wasn’t enough information yet!
Okay. I didnt read the listening notes subsection because super long but that’s my laziness. I expected that soundstage presentation would be a major focus of the main review as that appears to me to be OAE1’s most intriguing element, second being the goal to reduce all reflections and acoustic impedance.

edit: Thanks! Keep us posted please.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #625 of 627
BTW does anyone know what was the volume level while plotting this graph , want to compare against the graph of HD 800S available at other places.

It seems I neglected to list that (and I always try to be rather meticulous where that's concerned, so sorry about that). For the THD measurement(s), the voltage was set (before the sweep was run) to output 1 kHz at 90 dBSPL.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #626 of 627
It seems I neglected to list that (and I always try to be rather meticulous where that's concerned, so sorry about that). For the THD measurement(s), the voltage was set (before the sweep was run) to output 1 kHz at 90 dBSPL.
Makes sense, since the FR graph was captured at 90 db.

Thanks, Jude!

May 15, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #627 of 627
We Canadians all pay so much more in this hobby that you have to jump on anything approaching affordable. :grin:
For sure eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back