Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Dec 14, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #2,641 of 2,669
20230829_193645.jpg20230829_193632.jpg
3. Air Filter Mod

It is more thicker than the original one but the pore and other else almost the same as the original one, I'm worried it will damping too much.

I cut 2 circles and then make it a donut so It wont covered the driver, a bit hard to attach the ear pads since the inner foam a bit thick but with perseverance I manage to attach the earpads.
Screenshot_20230829_194831_Chrome.jpgfrom ATH site.

Its testing time..

Oh my god, the sounds I can say a bit better than the stock R70x.

The low just have more texture and clearer.

The mids become really vivid and more articulate.

The treble a bit tame but it doesn't affect the soundstage and imaging..

I can say that it is almost sounds like the tube amp, everything a bit slow but still can handle busy track and pinpoint quite precisely.

Yup, I manage to save my R70X, and make it better (for me)..

Hope this one help if you looking for inner foam replacement, and by the way sorry for not so good english:)
i just saw this post. Would you mind sharing where you bought it via private message to me? Wkwk

Jan 9, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #2,642 of 2,669
I recently purchased a shorter replacement cable for my ATH-R70x for use around the house. I plan on using the stock 3m cable at my desk.
How durable are the recessed connectors on the ATH-R40x?
Do they tolerate frequent ejections and insertions?

Jan 9, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #2,643 of 2,669
Jan 9, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #2,644 of 2,669
Wait a minute. So, your action plan is to treat r70x as a vagina?
I am glad my appendage is not that small.
That being, said I do worry that the rotating mechanism might break if I detach and reattach the cable frequently. The 3m cable is coiled around my the leg of my table for optimal length, so it cannot be removed and carried around easily (aside from it being a 3m cable).

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #2,645 of 2,669
Has anyone compared the AT R70 X to the Beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X. Im trying to decide between these two.
The DT900 pro X is much more dampened and does not sound as expansive and natural as the r70x. The DT900 pro X has the better bass extension though. I will replace my DT900 pro X with the r70x.

Jan 15, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #2,646 of 2,669
Just started a warranty claim with Audio Technica for my pair, just within the warranty period.

Right hand ear rattling at lower frequencies across multiple sources and diff cables. Confirmed not present on my virtually new custom cans modified dt770 pros.

AT have suggested asking Amazon (original retailer) to refund or replace, saying they have arrangement with amazon for defective kit. Amazon not offering a replacement service, so refund it is...

Tempted to replace with another set, as they are so light and my overall experience has been very positive aside from this recent defect...

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #2,647 of 2,669
Just started a warranty claim with Audio Technica for my pair, just within the warranty period.

Right hand ear rattling at lower frequencies across multiple sources and diff cables. Confirmed not present on my virtually new custom cans modified dt770 pros.

AT have suggested asking Amazon (original retailer) to refund or replace, saying they have arrangement with amazon for defective kit. Amazon not offering a replacement service, so refund it is...

Tempted to replace with another set, as they are so light and my overall experience has been very positive aside from this recent defect...
Hope you get the pair you paid for! As for me, I was on the brink of sending my pair off for the warranty replacement for the same reason but I did some research and after a while I realised that these cans are very easily 'rattly' from even one hair sticking up from the can. After cleaning every (even smallest) hair off from my right can, the problem was gone and I was very much pleased that it wasn't any quality issue, just some cat hair got it's way to the driver. Check that up if you haven't already buddy!

Jan 18, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #2,648 of 2,669
hmm, if i had them to hand I would have double checked that.
Amazon have refunded and they are enroute back to them lol.

I have been looking at the sennheiser hd660s2's, but I think I will buy another pair of ATH-R70X's as they are just so light and comfortable. :thumbsup:

Jan 18, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #2,649 of 2,669
hmm, if i had them to hand I would have double checked that.
Amazon have refunded and they are enroute back to them lol.

I have been looking at the sennheiser hd660s2's, but I think I will buy another pair of ATH-R70X's as they are just so light and comfortable. :thumbsup:
Yeah if there is a rattle or distortion going on the first two things to check is hair on the driver and the cables. It’s much less likely to be the driver. I have both the S2 and R70x, both excellent headphones with different strengths, the S2 is a bit darker and warmer with more bass presence and sounds more ‘grand’. Whereas I find the R70x more neutral with better imaging with a nice effortlessness the Senns don’t quite have, there is something subtle that draws me more to the R70x’s sound.

I overall prefer the R70x slightly of the two both comfort and sonically (well driven the R70x is a treat and replacing the cable is definitely ideal). The R70x needs something like the Lake People G111 MKII to truly come to life imho. They’re similar in some ways but also different enough I have no problem swapping between the two. The S2 is the easier headphone to drive of the two as it’s not quite as demanding of the amp. I wouldn’t get the S2 unless it drops $400 (which it has a few times), it’s too expensive for what it is at $600.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #2,650 of 2,669
Appreciated, the HD 660S2's are 435 GBP here at present, whereas the AT's are 242 GBP. Have ordered a replacement pair of the R70x's :jecklinsmile:

Jan 19, 2024 at 10:59 PM Post #2,651 of 2,669
Appreciated, the HD 660S2's are 435 GBP here at present, whereas the AT's are 242 GBP. Have ordered a replacement pair of the R70x's :jecklinsmile:
That's quite a big price difference, I managed to get the two at a similar price. They each have their strengths over each other and I can see someone preferring one over the other, just think the asking price of the S2 is on the high side.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 6:13 AM Post #2,652 of 2,669
That's quite a big price difference, I managed to get the two at a similar price. They each have their strengths over each other and I can see someone preferring one over the other, just think the asking price of the S2 is on the high side.
indeed. perhaps in the future i will add or trial the 660s2's. my headphone stand is full atm, unless i build another one, then desk space becomes an issue... and so it continues

Jan 29, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #2,653 of 2,669
Haven't been my year, this or the year before. Now my ATH-R70x's right side cable input all of a sudden went loose. Yes, I was just sitting here and listening music and I was pretty surprised when right channel went mute, cable dropped from the right side to my lap and didn't lock back anymore. What to do now? When I get something fixed, two things break, I see a pattern here. I knew that those locking systems would just bring problems in some part of my life and now is the time.

EDIT: Already opened up the right driver but I didn't understand the locking system for one bit, so if someone does, I would really appreciate if you could help me out here. Fixable? How to find the thing that is broken? Everything seemingly fine inside there. No cracks, no things broken off or anything. Just doesn't lock anymore. Does work although but when I move for awhile it starts to turn around and then drops. I'm very much pissed because I've been using them for a long time now and thought I found my endgame headphones but nope, yet again.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #2,654 of 2,669
Haven't been my year, this or the year before. Now my ATH-R70x's right side cable input all of a sudden went loose. Yes, I was just sitting here and listening music and I was pretty surprised when right channel went mute, cable dropped from the right side to my lap and didn't lock back anymore. What to do now? When I get something fixed, two things break, I see a pattern here. I knew that those locking systems would just bring problems in some part of my life and now is the time.

EDIT: Already opened up the right driver but I didn't understand the locking system for one bit, so if someone does, I would really appreciate if you could help me out here. Fixable? How to find the thing that is broken? Everything seemingly fine inside there. No cracks, no things broken off or anything. Just doesn't lock anymore. Does work although but when I move for awhile it starts to turn around and then drops. I'm very much pissed because I've been using them for a long time now and thought I found my endgame headphones but nope, yet again.
From my uneducated understanding it's a pretty simple retention mechanism: the cable has a small protruding notch on it that goes into a horizontal channel/groove inside the housing where you insert the plug. You insert the cable far enough such that the notch lines up with the channel, then you twist the cable so the notch goes into the channel. At that point you cannot pull the cable out because the notch is seated in the horizontal channel and, thus, it can't move "vertically."

My first thought would be to check the cable to ensure the notch is still on there; if one side locks and the other doesn't then you should be able to compare them. If the notch is still there and you've opened the driver I'd check that channel inside the plug housing to make sure nothing has happened that would allow the notch to come out of the channel and move "vertically," thus making it not lock. If those housings are made of two sides perhaps they have separated somehow?

Jan 30, 2024 at 1:25 AM Post #2,655 of 2,669
I had connection problems with my new R70x. One plug was not fully fixing in the left cup and the sound was worse than when connected contrary. After a dozen connections the problem went away, now any plug fixing normally in any cup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back