Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
May 19, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #4,456 of 4,463
Combined to an externally clocked di20/he or di24/he, you get quite amazing sound quality.
Actually, I was very pleased when I had my Pi2AES connected directly to this i2s input.
But then I make an upgrade and connect Ian Canada's Fifo Q7 in the same way and failed.
For some reason, connecting the Fifo Q7's output pins to the Master7's input pins does not produce sound.
It would be interesting to know if anyone has been able to successfully make a similar direct connection.

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #4,457 of 4,463
Actually, I was very pleased when I had my Pi2AES connected directly to this i2s input.
But then I make an upgrade and connect Ian Canada's Fifo Q7 in the same way and failed.
For some reason, connecting the Fifo Q7's output pins to the Master7's input pins does not produce sound.
It would be interesting to know if anyone has been able to successfully make a similar direct connection.

What kind of connection?

May 19, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #4,459 of 4,463
from any digital source directly via i2s bus interface without additional hdmi or usb conversions
Confused. Do "I2S bus" means RJ-45 connector?

Avoid. It is less standarised than HDMI and quality is not so good.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #4,462 of 4,463
This is the crux of the question. I would like to know if anyone has managed to get Ian Canada stuff with master7 working. And what prevents them from working together directly.
From the Q7 manual application notes:

2. What kinds of DACs can a FifoPi Q7 work with?

A. Any kinds of SYNC mode DAC..... However, by principle, any master clock mode DAC, such a Hifiberry DAC+, have no way work with any reclockers including FifoPi Q7....

If it means dependancy on the Master clock signal, this is a clue. Ian support should clarify it.
The current documentation on the Audio GD webside says that pin 7 of RJ-45 is unused, but there are traces on the Internet that Master 7 use MCLK sygnal. @FredA posted already confirming it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back